Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 05:09 PM

545 posts, read 1,099,993 times

Advertisements

There are articles saying that it is dangerous to live within 50 miles of nuclear power plants. How true do you think this is? And is there increased risk of cancer living near nuclear power plants? I'm interested in moving to a town that is 10 miles from the nuclear power plant in Indian Point, NY. Please let me know your thoughts on this and if it could be a health hazard. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 05:16 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
At 10 miles you're likely in the mandatory warning zone so that's a consideration.

Where did you see 50 miles that wasn't in an anti-nuclear publication.

As a note, I'm 20 miles or so from one and don't give it a thought.

But then again you have to worry about radiation from your SmartMeter.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:50 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default There's lots of places to look for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
There are articles saying that it is dangerous to live within 50 miles of nuclear power plants. How true do you think this is? And is there increased risk of cancer living near nuclear power plants? I'm interested in moving to a town that is 10 miles from the nuclear power plant in Indian Point, NY. Please let me know your thoughts on this and if it could be a health hazard. Thanks!
You'd want to be upwind of the power plant. Check to see where your intended housing is, check the prevailing winds for most of the year. In NY, I'd expect most of the power is generated during air conditioning season, but you should be able to find charts of maximum & minimum output (important to figure out when the most radiation is heating the working fluid), & so where would be upwind @ that time of year.

Offhand, I'd want a couple of different ways to get to a state road or freeway - which you should also follow upwind from the plant, if you have a choice. If there's a real emergency @ the power plant, local roads will likely be shut, or access controlled. You might check with local Emergency Management - to see if they have an evacuation plan, if it's been exercised lately, what they recommend you pack in your car or garage, ready to go (meds, clothing, water, some food, blankets, camping supplies, small medical kit, flashlight). Are the civilian routes to follow in the event of an emergency marked? How are they marked? You'll probably want to drive the routes, keep a map in the car, drive them @ night, in rain, etc.

Car - You'd probably want a 4-wheel drive, off-road capable car - a Jeep or similar. High ground clearance, & you can switch in & out of 4-wheel drive on the fly, from the driver's seat (you don't want to have to get out & fiddle with locking the hubs, etc. in the middle of an emergency). Keep snow chains in the car - if the roads are clogged or traffic snarls, you might have to go cross-country, or through snow/ice.

You'll also want to be upstream of the water the plant uses to cool the reactor. If there's a serious problem @ the plant - you don't want to be downstream.

There's iodine tablets (I think it is) that are recommended for possible radioactive exposure. You can check a survival guide - @ the library - for details. I think it's to protect the thyroid glands.

I'm not sure about danger of radioactive exposure in the normal course of living near a nuke power plant. They don't emit radioactivity normally - but that's why you want to be upwind & upstream, if things go very wrong. Best of luck. Check with your public library, they may have copies of the evacuation plan, routes, signals to evacuate, they may run tornado sirens.

You can check online for the power plant's website, the local newspaper website, local Emergency Preparedness, Hazmat team (probably a county entity). There are lots of sources to check.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:15 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
If you are going to worry about it, then you don't need to live near one. I worked in a nuclear plant for 12 years and lived 15 miles down river from it.I never worried about it and I have made it to a fairly old age with no problems other than typical old age problems.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:24 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
If you are going to worry about it, then you don't need to live near one. I worked in a nuclear plant for 12 years and lived 15 miles down river from it.I never worried about it and I have made it to a fairly old age with no problems other than typical old age problems.
This. Nuclear power is remarkably safe in this country. You have a much MUCH higher risk of being struck by lightning -- so why not find a place to live where there is no lightning?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Check out this article, as it's relevant to the thread:

Professor recalls role in discovery of radon - The Morning Call

Old 08-02-2016, 07:33 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
I live about 50 miles from a Nuclear Power plant and give it no thought at all. I wouldn't consider it a health hazard at even 10 miles. My brother's wife's parents can see the nuclear plant from their house, and they seem okay.

Buy a Geiger counter if you are truly worried. You can get a decent one for around $100.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I live about 50 miles from a Nuclear Power plant and give it no thought at all. I wouldn't consider it a health hazard at even 10 miles. My brother's wife's parents can see the nuclear plant from their house, and they seem okay.

Buy a Geiger counter if you are truly worried. You can get a decent one for around $100.
Or better yet ... Live off the grid ... WAY WAY off the grid, if you're really so naive as to be worried about nuclear power plants.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:22 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Check out this article, as it's relevant to the thread:

Professor recalls role in discovery of radon - The Morning Call
Along the same line of thought, I once visited Hot Springs, Ark. At the springs there was a radiation warning sign(radon) posted. Senior citizens were lined up with gallon jugs waiting to fill them with the HOT water. If I had tried to take this water into the nuclear plant I worked at, I wouldn't have gotten in.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Over the normal course of a nuclear power plant, I'd rather be near a nuclear power plant than a coal power plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.