Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
People either love or hate California. It seems everyone has an opinion about it one way or another. In my personal experience I haven't met many people outside of native Texans that have a positive feeling about it. I see there are many Texas defenders here and that's great. It's just my personal experience to not meet many people who have much love for it.
Who would have much love for a state that's portrayed in the media as America super sized? Super sized homes, trucks and big egos. Also seen as the land of consumption, sprawl, heat and McMansions. Most of what the media hates about America is all aggrandized in Texas, LOL. Which is weird because Texas isn't the most right wing state, isn't the most pro-gun, heck I've heard Michigan is way more a hunting state and AZ has crazier gun laws. California surprisingly has one of the highest number of white nationalist hate groups.

In the same vein people are ingrained to think California is this bastion of left wing looniness, where if there was a fake news article that said its now legal to marry your dog in CA people would be like "yup that's California", people likewise expect a right wing crazy incident to happen in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
In my personal experience I haven't met many people outside of native Texans that have a positive feeling about it. I see there are many Texas defenders here and that's great. It's just my personal experience to not meet many people who have much love for it.
Agreed. I think Austin probably has the best reputation of any city in that state. Texas, imo, does not have a particularly good or bad reputation. It is the state that gave us Ted Cruz, but I don't think it's necessarily seen as a hotbed of religious conservatism. It has some nice cities but none that anyone really raves over aside from maybe Austin. I think a lot of Americans see Texas as having a strong economy with a relatively low cost of living. But I'm not sure if the positive images go beyond that. It's not like you say you're visiting Texas for the weekend and get "OMG!"

Old 07-05-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Agreed. I think Austin probably has the best reputation of any city in that state. Texas, imo, does not have a particularly good or bad reputation. It is the state that gave us Ted Cruz, but I don't think it's necessarily seen as a hotbed of religious conservatism. It has some nice cities but none that anyone really raves over aside from maybe Austin. I think a lot of Americans see Texas as having a strong economy with a relatively low cost of living. But I'm not sure if the positive images go beyond that. It's not like you say you're visiting Texas for the weekend and get "OMG!"
True but to native Texans the assumption that Austin is the best city and that its somehow an oasis in a desert of right wing extemism is so ludicrous to us. Every native Texan knows that Houston and Dallas are the true modern, international and cosmopolitan cities in Texas. Austin would be Sacramento while Houston would be LA by comparison state wise.

This hype the media has about Austin can only be attributed to its young hip techie ala Bay Area vibe.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:43 PM

379 posts, read 289,058 times
Quote:
Well, the Texas barrier islands are well known Spring Break destinations (especially South Padre Island).

Old 07-05-2016, 12:45 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think that the most liked states often incur the most dislike as well. That certainly seems to be the case for places like California and Florida, the latter maybe getting a bit more hate in the internet age.

As far as New York, most people don't know a damn thing about it except that New York City is located there. Otherwise, regionally there are so many pissing contests between the Northeastern states that I can't say that any state likes their neighbors. It is a sibling rivalry, and usually good natured, but it is fierce.

Seattle, contrary to public opinion, is not a state. Nor is Portland, but these two cities do stand in for why many people claim to like their respective states. Without these cities, a lot of outsiders who claim to love Washington and Oregon might find themselves horrified at how much the states differ from their chief cities.

Colorado does seem to be widely liked. It is truly the flavor of the week. This has not gone over the increasingly expanding heads of Coloradans.
Being born here and having lived along the Front Range most of my life, Colorado to me is simply "home", nothing particularly special.

Over the course of my career in the medical device industry, I've traveled a great deal for business. Approximately 1 million air miles. East to west, Canada to Mexico. I've also been to the Caribbean and South America on vacation. I've seen mountains, forests, lakes and oceans. Cities large and small. Taken cruises. I feel very fortunate that I'd had the opportunity to travel whilst earning a living.

I like it here just fine, but honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. I don't perceive Colorado as some kind of "Nirvana", like many others who've moved here or aspire to do so. For me there are quite a few states, primarily in the Intermountain Region, that I could live in and be perfectly content.

Again, Colorado is just home.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
Well, the Texas barrier islands are well known Spring Break destinations (especially South Padre Island).
And I suppose that's great for UT and LSU students. But it's not like those places get the same type of love Napa does.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
This hype the media has about Austin can only be attributed to its young hip techie ala Bay Area vibe.
Maybe they have a well-oiled marketing machine.

Quote:
Austinites are pretty much everything the rest of Texas despises; politically Liberal, socially diverse, obsessed with the latest artful food fads (shaved brussels sprouts during my visit), kooky vintage fashion, upcycled jewellery, nude swimming, community values and shopping local. Pretty awesome, huh?
Austin, Texas: Is this America's coolest city? - Telegraph

Anyway you slice it, Austin is seen as the "hip" city in Texas. I think Dallas and Houston are seen largely as ordinary Americana.

BTW, Travis County was the only county in Texas where Obama won a majority of the non-Hispanic White vote.

http://www.whitdem.org/2012WhiteVote.html

Old 07-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Maybe they have a well-oiled marketing machine.

Austin, Texas: Is this America's coolest city? - Telegraph

Anyway you slice it, Austin is seen as the "hip" city in Texas. I think Dallas and Houston are seen largely as ordinary Americana.
I think that's the part that puzzles native Texans! LOL. The Houston burbs sure, but the city of Houston is not Americana. That's weird to think its viewed like that. It's crazy diverse with ethnic enclaves and has real African American history in the Wards. Big flea markets (called swap meets in CA), bodegas, botanicas to get your Santeria needs, wild ethnic restaurants, hipster neighborhoods, etc.

Austin is not as diverse in fact it's majority white, gentrified, and not weird anymore but annoyingly quirky. All that you'd expect from a giant college town that caters to the creative class.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think that's the part that puzzles native Texans! LOL. The Houston burbs sure, but the city of Houston is not Americana. That's weird to think its viewed like that. It's crazy diverse with ethnic enclaves and has real African American history in the Wards. Big flea markets (called swap meets in CA), bodegas, botanicas to get your Santeria needs, wild ethnic restaurants, hipster neighborhoods, etc.

Austin is not as diverse in fact it's majority white, gentrified, and not weird anymore but annoyingly quirky. All that you'd expect from a giant college town that caters to the creative class.
What else are people supposed to go off?

The only time I remember seeing Houston on TV was in that movie Sidekicks with Chuck Norris. That sort of gave some indication that Houston had some inkling of an Asian population. To assume that the average American is going to know more than that is probably putting too much faith in the American people.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:08 PM

379 posts, read 289,058 times
Quote:
And I suppose that's great for UT and LSU students. But it's not like those places get the same type of love Napa does.
No, its for college students from around the country (and the world).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.