Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:44 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can have that in literally any big city if you're among the top educated and earning folks.
Without being shoved in elbow-to-elbow with the riff-raff.
No, you can't really have it in any U.S. city outside of NYC.

Even places like SF, Boston, Chicago, DC feel small, provincial, empty, if you're used to NYC. If you move to Columbus, you'll feel like you dropped of the face of the earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 12:46 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are places with decent prices and tons of amenities. Maybe not uber-low prices. But much less ridiculous.
Of course. My only point is that life is always a trade off. You need to determine what you value more, and then pick an area that best meets your needs.

But you cannot get an area with good urban amenities/desirable lifestyle and cheap housing. It's impossible, because if the amenities were that good, it would be reflected in the housing costs. The market is the ultimate judge.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:49 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Of course. My only point is that life is always a trade off. You need to determine what you value more, and then pick an area that best meets your needs.

But you cannot get an area with good urban amenities/desirable lifestyle and cheap housing. It's impossible, because if the amenities were that good, it would be reflected in the housing costs. The market is the ultimate judge.
What amenities do you regularly use in New York that you couldn't get elsewhere? I'm not doubting you or asking as a point of contention but I'm genuinely curious. I think one obvious answer is mass transit which be lacking in most cities outside of NYC, Chicago, SF, D.C. and a few select others.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
What amenities do you regularly use in New York that you couldn't get elsewhere? I'm not doubting you or asking as a point of contention but I'm genuinely curious. I think one obvious answer is public transit.
I am not NOLA, but one big amenity that NYC has that I use day to day is the variety of late night food options. When I was living for a while with my relatives outside of NYC, all they had nearby that was open late at night was chains like IHOP, gas stations, a diner, and a supermarket. After like 2 weeks living there you pretty much exhaust all the options nearby. On the other hand, I can honestly say I haven't even tried all the food deliveries living in 1 place in Brooklyn for years. The variety of food available in a short walkable distance is awesome. This definitely had a daily impact on me when it comes to QOL.

Then there were really small things that add up and become very annoying. A simple thing like having to drive to a bank branch, instead of having it like half a block away walking distance. There are just these little things that become "a thing you have to do and spend time on", while in New York its much more convenient that I didn't even have it listed as a chore for me before.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:25 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am not NOLA, but one big amenity that NYC has that I use day to day is the variety of late night food options. When I was living for a while with my relatives outside of NYC, all they had nearby that was open late at night was chains like IHOP, gas stations, a diner, and a supermarket. After like 2 weeks living there you pretty much exhaust all the options nearby. On the other hand, I can honestly say I haven't even tried all the food deliveries living in 1 place in Brooklyn for years. The variety of food available in a short walkable distance is awesome. This definitely had a daily impact on me when it comes to QOL.

Then there were really small things that add up and become very annoying. A simple thing like having to drive to a bank branch, instead of having it like half a block away walking distance. There are just these little things that become "a thing you have to do and spend time on", while in New York its much more convenient that I didn't even have it listed as a chore for me before.
Those are good reasons (sorta) but I still couldn't justify paying hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars more in rent to live in a place for a few more late night dinning options and a few convenience factors. Just doesn't add up to me. But to each their own I suppose.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:27 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

I think late night/the expansive variety of ethnic food is definitely a major asset of New York. We have some late night options like gyros, pizza, donuts, coffee houses etc. but obviously on a much, much, much smaller scale so it's probably not comparable. Queens alone probably has more options than many other cities combined.

In terms of going to bank being a "chore" there are several options less than a five minute drive away and many major branches all around the city including walkable areas so that's almost a non-factor.

However, overall a city like New York is clearly infinitely more walkable so I think that's another plus for the more expensive cities. On the flip side our traffic is 1000 times easier to deal with .

Old 07-22-2016, 03:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I'm the opposite. I can't imagine why someone would have a higher quality of life living in some random sprawlburg in Oklahoma or somewhere.

I would much rather live in a broom closet in Manhattan than a Mcmansion in Tulsa. My quality of life doesn't improve with more space in a house. A house is mostly for sleeping and showering.

But my QOL does improve with a nicer neighborhood, more amenities, better jobs, healthier lifestyle, smarter and more interesting people, more progressive environment, etc.
I've said the same thing, you couldn't pay me to live in Dallas or Houston

Old 07-22-2016, 04:26 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,972 times
Stop trying to drag the costal snobs inland. Leave them out there.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:04 PM

193 posts, read 204,265 times
A single person living in a one-bedroom apartment really doesn't need more than 800-square-feet of space. That's about the size of my apartment here in Center City Philadelphia and it suits my needs perfectly especially since it includes a washer/dryer. The chart shows the rent in such an apartment here in Philly to be $1,464 per month which is about what I pay. Since I'm within convenient walking distance to practically everything including excellent public transit, I don't need an automobile which saves me at least $400/month. Consequently, housing in CC Philly is eminently affordable especially compared to Boston or New York City.

Living in Center City is fun and exciting, so much so that I would rather live in a broom closet in downtown Philly than in a penthouse apartment in, say, Cherry Hill, New Jersey (a Philly suburb).

Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
A single person living in a one-bedroom apartment really doesn't need more than 800-square-feet of space. That's about the size of my apartment here in Center City Philadelphia and it suits my needs perfectly especially since it includes a washer/dryer. The chart shows the rent in such an apartment here in Philly to be $1,464 per month which is about what I pay. Since I'm within convenient walking distance to practically everything including excellent public transit, I don't need an automobile which saves me at least $400/month. Consequently, housing in CC Philly is eminently affordable especially compared to Boston or New York City.

Living in Center City is fun and exciting, so much so that I would rather live in a broom closet in downtown Philly than in a penthouse apartment in, say, Cherry Hill, New Jersey (a Philly suburb).
Agreed-to me I can justify paying for that $4000 apartment in NYC (almost) more so than the 4 br home in Memphis for $4000 in the OP link.

Center City Philly and Chicago seem to have the best value for the urban amenities they offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.