Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metric is better overall for the 11 BIGS
MSA 16 80.00%
CSA 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,179,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
CSA for the Bay Area and LA (or at the least, SF + SJ MSAs and LA + Riverside MSAs). MSA for the rest.
I'd also use CSA for NYC, since Connecticut is absolutely linked to The City, as Red John has mentioned. I'd amend its CSA, however, to remove the PA portions--some 884,146 folks, as they are geographically and culturally much more aligned with Philadelphia (same area codes, same television stations, Philly pro sports teams affiliates). New York can have Trenton/Mercer County, but its ridiculous that the "Tri-State Area" gets PA counties that aren't even covered in local NYC news broadcasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:01 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I'd also use CSA for NYC, since Connecticut is absolutely linked to The City, as Red John has mentioned. I'd amend its CSA, however, to remove the PA portions--some 884,146 folks, as they are geographically and culturally much more aligned with Philadelphia (same area codes, same television stations, Philly pro sports teams affiliates). New York can have Trenton/Mercer County, but its ridiculous that the "Tri-State Area" gets PA counties that aren't even covered in local NYC news broadcasts.
No reasonable person believes Princeton and Yale are in the same metro. Parts of Connecticut are definitely metro, New York, but nothing beyond Fairfied County.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:14 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
I'm not as familiar with NYC as a metro, but I'd agree that the closer-in parts of CT certainly feel like Greater NYC. But it's crazy that the Hamptons are part of the MSA, even if they are on the other end of Long Island.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:24 AM

311 posts, read 314,316 times
Quote:
This exactly, except I think that Mercer should be switched back eventually too. Trenton is literally an under 15 minute drive from NE Philly and you can even see CC Philly from parts of Trenton. I can't think of any other major city in the country that is stripped of an area (multiple areas, when you include the PA parts) so close in proximity to the major city itself.
That being said, some commuter numbers currently give New York the MSA advantage even though Philly news and sports dominates much of Mercer, especially Trenton. I think the switch for Mercer was made in 2000 after a half century of Philly's slow decline.
The last 15 years of pickup have me confident (hopefully) that with a few more years of growth the MSA will switch back. Also, if parts of PA are given to Philly as they rightfully should be, the MSA stands to gain 2 million+ from its already significant metro over 6 million strong. This is without the city having a major satellite to significantly boost MSA or CSA numbers (such as Fort Worth, San Jose, Baltimore, Riverside, etc.)

Old 08-17-2016, 02:07 PM

676 posts, read 961,685 times
For the most part I think Chicago CSA is ok but I do think that the WI portions are a stretch...Kenosha?

Old 08-17-2016, 02:13 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
For the most part I think Chicago CSA is ok but I do think that the WI portions are a stretch...Kenosha?
Chicago doesn't really have a CSA. The difference between the Chicago MSA and see essay is about 200,000 people. All CSA does is diminish Chicago's importance compared to other cities with the good fortune of being 40 miles away from other major cities.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:30 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
I use the United Nations' Urban Area for the real size of a city or metropolis (I've said this since the day I joined the forum 4 years ago).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

I use CSA, however, for data collection for things like GDP, TPI, total wealth, diversity compositions, Fortune 500, 1000, or Global 500, private firms, NIH funding, defense funding, and several other things too. I use CSA because urban area (both the United States and United Nations' versions) don't release data and information for those things at the urban area level. I vastly prefer the CSA to the MSA.

If I use the CSA for one place, then I use it for everywhere.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:41 PM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
Urban area (except for SF).

Old 08-17-2016, 06:13 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No reasonable person believes Princeton and Yale are in the same metro. Parts of Connecticut are definitely metro, New York, but nothing beyond Fairfied County.
Key word is reasonable, there are some on this forum who think small country towns surrounded by millions of acres of cornfields are in a metro.

Examining the empty space on a map in the Rand McNally atlas would be a better use of time than starting 100 threads asking the same question over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.