Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 06:30 PM

776 posts, read 580,830 times

Advertisements

To start, I come from a Midwest town of about 130'000. I'm autistic so I wanted someplace that was more excepting of autistic people, hint the socially liberal. I also have always worked for everything I have. I like working rather than get a check from the government, as some need this I think it has been very abused. I have terrible communication skills which leaves me with general labor or driving jobs that don't pay that well, hint the need for financially conservative. Being autistic I favor low crime(who doesn't), recreational places, and great libraries to night clubs, etc. I heard of large cities but are there any smaller (30'000-150'000) places that would fit the bill. P.S. green and warm weather are nice but would give up for a perfect place. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 07:25 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Winston Salem nc though it's about 240k, Richmond VA too but it's also 240k, Asheville nc maybe, maybe try some of the suburbs in DC? I really think chapel Hill NC is your best fit, it's mild in winter, warm in spring/fall, nice and hot in summer. Chapel Hill is on the liberal side more so but places around it are more conservative. Also chapel Hill has 50k people and is a college town with a nice spirit and many nice places. For nightlife it's a college town so I'm assuming it's decent, if not Durham and Raleigh which are both much larger are only a short 20 minute drive away. Chapel Hill is fairly expensive for a southern city though. I'm sure you can find something nice on the outskirts of town though where things are very cheap.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:44 PM

Thank you, I have a cousin in Raleigh and he loves it, but he also makes the big bucks, which can help. I always love the thought of VA, thank you.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
Thank you, I have a cousin in Raleigh and he loves it, but he also makes the big bucks, which can help. I always love the thought of VA, thank you.
You would be fine in Raleigh, the area is pretty cheap. Also try the Charlotte area, Concord NC also matches what you describe as does Kannapolis and high point nc. I'm assuming you are a trucker and trucking is big business in Concord, Kannapolis, charlotte, and Statesville. All of these areas are very cheap. Especially Concord, Kannapolis, and Statesville. Very cheap and offer lots of trucking jobs.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:55 PM

Go post this in the NC forum, I think you will get great responses and ask about some of the areas I mentioned.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:21 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
You would be fine in Raleigh, the area is pretty cheap. Also try the Charlotte area, Concord NC also matches what you describe as does Kannapolis and high point nc. I'm assuming you are a trucker and trucking is big business in Concord, Kannapolis, charlotte, and Statesville. All of these areas are very cheap. Especially Concord, Kannapolis, and Statesville. Very cheap and offer lots of trucking jobs.
Are these smaller NC locations socially liberal?

Old 08-26-2016, 06:56 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are these smaller NC locations socially liberal?
No.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:23 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
There are only two parts of the country you can find this: parts of New England (particularly New Hampshire and Maine) and areas of the interior West (Wyoming in particular, but western Idaho and parts of Montana as well). Alaska could also work. I don't think anywhere warm would, except maybe Arizona - people seem conservative there on "law and order" type positions, but outside of the Mormon population it isn't really very culturally conservative. Boise would be my top choice, i I were you.

In general I'm not sure why "fiscal conservativism" matters for you in terms of the local residents though. No matter what people claim about their stance on national politics, most politicians - Democrat or Republican - try to keep local taxes down and costs low.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

In general I'm not sure why "fiscal conservativism" matters for you in terms of the local residents though. No matter what people claim about their stance on national politics, most politicians - Democrat or Republican - try to keep local taxes down and costs low.
Local taxes vary widely by place, so I would think it would have an impact. Though a lot is determined at a state level. Often tax rates don't follow exactly a Democratic / Republican spectrum; Massachusetts is a lower tax state than New York, Washington more so than either.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 AM

I'm in Washington right now after taking a trip of the west coast. 1st, Oregon was very pretty and mild climate, but income tax is 9%. Illinois, where I'm from was 3.75%, large increase. As not to put down Oregon, Illinois libraries where better. California, although very beautiful, was just a mess, HOT BED OF CRIME, but better taxes, liberaries where filled with homeless and unemployed, again not to put them down but kept almost getting jumped by some of them. Washington has 0% income tax which is nice but I've heard they drive out business with their confusing sales tax, which is high. Boise could work as I drove through it but I found a cite that said it had the highest number of hate crimes for lgbt and people of disability. While I'm not gay, but I like to use them as an index for disabled people. When in Illinois I wasn't looking for a liberal place where everyone is a races, I was called a races plenty of times just for being autistic and/or white. I also didn't like the Ultra-conservative that thought god was punishing me for my sins and being good Christians they should help, (i.e. just sane people is what I'm looking for). To clarify I don't have a CDL, although I can get one and probably should, I just meet straight trucks. Again thank you for you responses, I'm not well traveled so anything helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.