Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:50 AM

28 posts, read 31,990 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for a city that creates a citywide Halloween vibe (not just haunted houses) and so far it looks like Portsmouth is in the running.

I'd imagine Salem would be another candidate.

Can anyone give me a list of cities that do Halloween the best? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 03:12 PM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
Salem is cool .. not just at Halloween, but that's when it's busy

Old 08-27-2016, 03:24 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Idk about Portsmouth, but my friend went up to Salem, MA one year for Halloween and loved it. Anoka, MN is considered the "Halloween Capital of the World."

Old 08-27-2016, 03:52 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Yeah, it's funny that you mentioned Portsmouth as the Halloween standard when Salem is less than an hour away. I find it very hard to imagine that any town in America is more obsessed with Halloween than Salem.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Yeah, it's funny that you mentioned Portsmouth as the Halloween standard when Salem is less than an hour away. I find it very hard to imagine that any town in America is more obsessed with Halloween than Salem.
Yeah, I don't know. I heard they the whole city gets into it and a lot of people put up displays in the burbs. It's probably comparable to Salem or a case of you've heard of Salem, but have you heard of...

Although I just looked it up and assuming both go all out there would just be more in Portsmouth as it's about twice as big by area.

Then again it's possible it's all hype.

Figured if anyone would know someone on here would.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:45 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
I live in New England south of Boston and have never heard of Portsmouth as a destination for Halloween. Salem is the place in New England that everyone associates with the holiday. It is not even just October 31st there as the celebration of Halloween lasts all of October. You really can't beat it when it even has a witch on a broomstick on its police cars and its high school mascot is the witches.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I live in New England south of Boston and have never heard of Portsmouth as a destination for Halloween.
Neither had I until it was mentioned to me. Looks pretty lively though.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sTDT7PhSBbg/maxresdefault.jpg

https://daydreamtourist.files.wordpr...scarecrows.jpg

Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFanaticist View Post
No idea where Portsmouth comes from but Salem is obvious for the witch trials.

There are plenty of other cities that do Halloween well. NYC has the largest parade. Philly is loaded with history, ghost stories and fall is great there. All of PA. Chicago as well. Sleepy Hollow. There are many places.

I actually heard Salem is disappointing. I know that the witch museum is because I have been there but not for Halloween.

This is getting me excited for Fall.
Fishermen are famously superstitious so that may have something to do with it.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:16 PM

822 posts, read 858,045 times
Quote:

There are plenty of other cities that do Halloween well. NYC has the largest parade. Philly is loaded with history, ghost stories and fall is great there. All of PA. Chicago as well. Sleepy Hollow. There are many places.

I actually heard Salem is disappointing. I know that the witch museum is because I have been there but not for Halloween.

yeah..the witch museum is pretty lame... I wouldn't bother with that (plus it sells out early) but the rest of the city is pretty interesting.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I've been to NYC for a number of things so I think I'll go with something new. I'm looking for more of an overall atmosphere in as much of the city as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I figured I'd start a tradition with a few of my friends I don't get to see often and Halloween/Fall just happens to be my favorite time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.