Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better to live, work, & play?
Denver, CO 31 34.83%
Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN) 52 58.43%
Neither 6 6.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 01:44 PM

525 posts, read 719,856 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering to move up north. We prefer to live somewhere with all four seasons, especially colder winters and warmer summers with less humidity.

I like urban living while my wife is more country enjoying the green parks with lakes. I enjoy walking and bicycling on trails surrounding lakes. We both enjoy swimming. Basically, we want to live somewhere that is urban while having a plenty of trees and lakes.

My wife is a cosmetologist so she can work anywhere. Mine is limited; I work full-time for state government while teaching part-time as an adjunct.

We plan to have children in the future so good school districts would be nice without having to live far out in the suburbs.

We are spoiled with mostly free events and activities here in Little Rock, AR. Other than amusement parks, we prefer for events and activities to be more affordable without paying so much just to visit a museum, for an example.

Of course, affordable cost of living with good economy and excellent housing market are important to us.

We are moderate to liberal in politics. We don't fit in the South because of its staunch Republican politics and deeply religious population.

Although we are religious (Presbyterians U.S.A.), we are not in your face type of Christians who like to show off. We are private about our faith unless being asked.

Based on our descriptions, which city is a better fit for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 07:59 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Honestly as much as I love Denver I'm gonna have to recommend the Twin Cities if the choice is between the two.

Denver isn't lush and green, we don't have a lot of lakes, and the Twin Cities are slightly more affordable.

If Minneapolis-St. Paul had Denver's climate it'd be hard to beat, but their summers are ridiculously humid and winter in the Upper Midwest is long, frigid, and god awful. The average high in the Twin Cities stays below freezing for 1/4 of the year.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:28 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,374 times
In Minnesota you definitely get four distinct season, lakes and lush forest and parks.
Biking, lakes and trails are Minnesota! In addition to the moderately liberal politics and great educational system. Sounds like the Twin Cities area would be a great fit for you and your family as everything you described is there/here.
Religion is rarely ever a topic of conversation here, yet most people are religious to some extent.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:19 AM

306 posts, read 336,680 times
They are both nice cities but I would recommend MSP.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Honestly as much as I love Denver I'm gonna have to recommend the Twin Cities if the choice is between the two.

Denver isn't lush and green, we don't have a lot of lakes, and the Twin Cities are slightly more affordable.

If Minneapolis-St. Paul had Denver's climate it'd be hard to beat, but their summers are ridiculously humid and winter in the Upper Midwest is long, frigid, and god awful. The average high in the Twin Cities stays below freezing for 1/4 of the year.
You said that summers are ridiculously humid in the Twin Cities. I have never been there during summer. I am sure it is not as humid as the summers in the South though.

I was in the Twin Cities once in September. It was very pleasant. I saw many people at the lakes in Southwest Minneapolis.

I prefer the cold so I think I can get adjusted to Minnesota cold after the first winter.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I remember Denver being very brown going to Downtown from the airport but that was during winter in 2014. I don't know if the rest of Colorado is that way.

I frequently used the light rail on 16th St. during one week stay in Downtown Denver. On and off the train, I have noticed that people in Denver are not as friendly as people in Minnesota. Maybe that was just the city. I cannot judge all of Colorado based on Denver.

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 06-28-2016 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-28-2016, 08:29 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
Lol at ridiculously hot and humid summers here. It's really hot like 10 days a year.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
In Minnesota you definitely get four distinct season, lakes and lush forest and parks.
Biking, lakes and trails are Minnesota! In addition to the moderately liberal politics and great educational system. Sounds like the Twin Cities area would be a great fit for you and your family as everything you described is there/here.
Religion is rarely ever a topic of conversation here, yet most people are religious to some extent.
Thank you for your post.

Yes, I am aware of Minnesota Nice. Although people in Minnesota are friendly, some topics in conversation are a big no, such as religion and politics unless you are doing something specifically for that purpose.

I also learned that we cannot really expect to make friends fast in Minnesota. It takes time because a few real friends is always better than many fake friends. Minnesotans have to warm up to us first before inviting us to do anything. It is actually what we make out of it, such as joining church, volunteering, and participating in activities that will help to make friends easily.

Am I right about all of above?

Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Lol at ridiculously hot and humid summers here. It's really hot like 10 days a year.
Oh, that is like a breeze compared to summers here in Little Rock, AR. LOL

Old 06-28-2016, 08:49 AM

I know this is a bit off the topic but I must admit what bothers me the most about living in the Deep South-display of Confederate flags and symbols by people on their vehicles and properties. This particular group of people tends to call themselves true southerners or rednecks.

Although the prevalence is very high in the South, there are rednecks in every state plus every state has southern transplants. I am just wondering if you ever see any Confederate flag proudly displaying by local rednecks in Colorado and Minnesota.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:35 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Compared to Arkansas the Twin Cities might seem dry, but compared to Denver they're downright sticky. Denver wins the climate battle IMNSHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.