Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:04 PM

461 posts, read 546,771 times

Advertisements

We're flying into Charlotte for Spring Break next month and doing a quick week long loop of Knoxville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, and Greenville. We love our pie, and Colorado is pretty lame as a food state, so we're looking forward to some good eating. We're pork free for religious reasons, and I was wondering how common it still is for pie crusts to contain lard. Do I have to ask each time we order?

Thanks!

jb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:05 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Pies are still made with lard in the north. I'm sure they use it in the south too. If you are worried about it, always ask.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
It's not just pies that are made with lard. Tamales are also made with lard.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:04 PM

We generally ask, unless there's a disclaimer posted. Tamales? I assume that the masa is always made with lard unless you're buying from someone new age. I think I've had 2 tamales in the last 10 years. We miss out on a lot (no New Mexico green chili for me) but that's my choice.

If anyone has pie destinations for us in the Charlotte-Atlanta loop, please don't be shy. We spent last Spring Break in Phoenix and Prescott and it turned out to be a great pie destination.

jb

Old 02-09-2017, 02:23 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,645,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
We generally ask, unless there's a disclaimer posted. Tamales? I assume that the masa is always made with lard unless you're buying from someone new age. I think I've had 2 tamales in the last 10 years. We miss out on a lot (no New Mexico green chili for me) but that's my choice.

If anyone has pie destinations for us in the Charlotte-Atlanta loop, please don't be shy. We spent last Spring Break in Phoenix and Prescott and it turned out to be a great pie destination.

jb
While you are in Atlanta, try some of the following:

1. Buttermilk Pie Sky (Buttermilk Sky Pie Shop | The Taste of Southern Tradition | Founders Meredith & Scott Layton)
2. Panbury's Double Crust Pies (Menu - Panbury's - Pies)
3. Alpine Bakery & Trattoria (Alpine Bakery & Trattoria | Alpharetta Italian Restaurant & Bakery)
4. Sugar Shack (Menu - Sugar Shack)
5. Marietta Diner (Menu | Marietta Diner)
6. The Pie Hole (https://www.facebook.com/ThePieHole/)

Old 02-09-2017, 05:08 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,026,322 times
I always thought pie crusts were made with (all vegetable) Crisco. I haven't heard of lard for cooking since the 50s. No sir!

Old 02-09-2017, 05:58 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I always thought pie crusts were made with (all vegetable) Crisco. I haven't heard of lard for cooking since the 50s. No sir!
Same here.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the Atlanta links. That's awesome. I thought of the lard thing based on a PBS documentary about pie that I happened to watch last night. There was a pie maker somewhere in Pennsylvania who was using lard in his crust, so I thought I'd ask. I thought lard was a thing of the past, but I've also heard of it making a comeback.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Lard is coming back since it is (marginally) healthier and better for cooking than Crisco.

Of course Crisco is cheaper, so lard free food isn't going anywhere, but at least we increasingly have the option of good crusts and fried food rather than hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
Also, the FDA will officially ban food companies from selling food products that contain partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats), starting in June 2018. Over the past ten years, however, food companies have drastically reduced the use of trans fats (about 95% of them at this time) as they transition to the full ban that goes into effect next year. I think at this time, the only foods I can think of that still contain trans fats are Ritz crackers, Rice Krispies Treats, Bisquick pancake mix, certain Betty Crocker frostings and other items here and there. I think Pop Secret finally got rid of trans fats from their microwaveable popcorn a few months ago. The fast food chain Popeye's still has trans fats in most of their foods, so stay away from them. No amount of trans fats are safe for consumption, because the damage is irreversible and accumulates in your arteries over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.