Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 3,027 times

Advertisements

Long story short I am eligible for a scholarship (not getting into details) that will pay for my housing (monthly housing allowance)

I decided to leave my home state on the east coast and Im looking for a few things in a city:

Id prefer to move out west, but not opposed to something that fits.

Id like a large city, or at least an urban feel to a city.

I dont want to bring my car, walkable cities would be best with good pub transit. I can always bring my car if its a must.

Weather isnt a deal breaker (Seattle or Portland) but it can definitely raise concerns.

Right now ive been considering: Seattle, Denver, Austin, Portland or LA. Also Chicago and New Orleans for non western cities.

Can anyone give me some advice?

P.S. I am a big sports fan, so bonus points for a passionate city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Well Austin is real big into supporting the Texas Longhorns sports teams but idk if you would be fine with no professional teams.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Well Austin is real big into supporting the Texas Longhorns sports teams but idk if you would be fine with no professional teams.
Sports really has no bearing on my decision, i just added that because it is definitely a plus. My biggest drawback for Austin is ive heard that it is mighty difficult to get around with no car.

Ive heard Denver and LA are tough but I know it all depends on location, ive seen some fine spots that seem walkable

Old 02-17-2017, 06:31 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,228 times
Biking is big out here in the PNW if you are into that as opposed to public transit but if public transit is a must it is bit better in Portland vs Seattle currently.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Biking is big out here in the PNW if you are into that as opposed to public transit but if public transit is a must it is bit better in Portland vs Seattle currently.
How about weather in Portland vs Seattle? Oddly enough I can probably deal eith overcast days, but I feel as if the rain in Seattle might be too much.

It is hard to say though, because I feel as if Seattle offers everything I want (Walkability, Big City feel, Good Food, Close to the school I want to attend)

But the rain has somewhat made me wary. I might visit to see how it is first, but it is def a concern

Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 AM

27,220 posts, read 43,942,133 times
If rain is a potential dealbreaker, you like passionate sports cities, want bike-friendly and walk-friendly then Denver is for you. Denver gets over 300 days of sunshine each year and has some great walk-friendly neighborhoods like Downtown/Speer, Cheesman Park, Congress Park, Five Points and Lincoln Park to name a few. All have Walk Scores above 80 and some close to 90. Denver also a pretty decent light-rail system meaning you can also live in more walkable outlying areas and commute. RTD

Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
If you don't have a car, I'd skip most of these cities unless your scholarship will pay for an expensive apartment in an urban neighborhood.

But you can do it in Seattle, parts of LA, and certainly Chicago.
I live in New Orleans and you can get around without a car well around Tulane and Loyola campuses but I wouldn't really suggest anyone go carless unless they live downtown.

I wouldn't even consider Austin in this case. If rain is a deal breaker I'd leave out Seattle. Leaves you with Chicago, LA, Denver, and New Orleans. Which are all very different cities.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:41 PM

10 posts, read 10,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If you don't have a car, I'd skip most of these cities unless your scholarship will pay for an expensive apartment in an urban neighborhood.

But you can do it in Seattle, parts of LA, and certainly Chicago.
I live in New Orleans and you can get around without a car well around Tulane and Loyola campuses but I wouldn't really suggest anyone go carless unless they live downtown.

I wouldn't even consider Austin in this case. If rain is a deal breaker I'd leave out Seattle. Leaves you with Chicago, LA, Denver, and New Orleans. Which are all very different cities.
^ Listen to this person, one of the best members on the city data forum in general and a cool individual, definitely knows what they talk about.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliwasbig View Post
^ Listen to this person, one of the best members on the city data forum in general and a cool individual, definitely knows what they talk about.
Can't tell if sarcasm or not...

Old 02-18-2017, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 10,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Can't tell if sarcasm or not...
Not sarcasm at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.