Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most unassimilated immigrant community in America?
Miami Cubans 29 19.73%
Dearborn Arabs /Detroit area 51 34.69%
Rio Grande Valley Mexicans 25 17.01%
Southern California Mexicans 11 7.48%
San Francisco Chinese 17 11.56%
Boston Irish 2 1.36%
New Jersey Italians 2 1.36%
Louisiana French / Cajuns 3 2.04%
Upper Midwest Germans 3 2.04%
Hawaii Japanese 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
But I've noticed while growing up in Miami, that Cubans assimilate to the US more than many other Hispanic groups in Miami, most of which don't learn English either.
Well, for the previous 5+ decades, Cubans enjoyed special immigrant status that meant that they didn't have to live in the margins of society and were able to more quickly attain citizenship. This goes a long way to being more assimilated into society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Here in New York, pretty much every Latino immigrant I've ever come across spoke English. Sometimes I try speaking to them in my broken Spanish and they respond in English.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Just because you play football doesn't neccessarily make you assimilated into American culture, but I do think there's a lot of dog whistling on this thread in regards to the Dearborn Muslim community.
I think people often forget that while Dearborn is the most Arab-American municipality in the country, a lot of the second and third generation Arab-American families are Christians of Lebanese or Iraqi background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev participated in certain aspects of American culture, but still felt compelled to bomb the Boston Marathon, so it became painfully clear that he didn't assimilate. Being that the U.S. is a nation of laws, it is impossible for an immigrant to assimilate without respecting U.S. law.
The Tsarnev brothers were first-generation immigrants to the U.S. Dzhokhar was born in Kirghistan 1992 and didn't come to the U.S. until 2004, when he was 12. I wouldn't expect someone who only moved to the U.S. on the cusp of their teen years to be completely assimilated.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:14 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Tie between Dearborn Arabs and SoCal Mexicans. Both don't wanna learn English, both could care less about this country, a majority of both despise America yet wanna reap its benefits. Just the other day I saw an undercover video from Dearborn about Arabs buying good with EBT cards, and then selling those goods in their stores. All the while she was driving a new Infiniti SUV. Unfrickinbelievable.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:47 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Tie between Dearborn Arabs and SoCal Mexicans. Both don't wanna learn English, both could care less about this country, a majority of both despise America yet wanna reap its benefits. Just the other day I saw an undercover video from Dearborn about Arabs buying good with EBT cards, and then selling those goods in their stores. All the while she was driving a new Infiniti SUV. Unfrickinbelievable.
Are you really using an anecdote to prove a point?!?

Old 03-24-2017, 11:14 AM

27,572 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I grew up in Miami and never met a 2nd generation American who didn't speak English either. Unless they were under 6 years old. Even though lots of 1st generation immigrants don't learn, their children certainly do. They kinda have to, in school, with their peers.
Sometimes, it's hard to tell the difference between a 1st generation and 2nd generation immigrant. You may overhear a 2nd generation immigrant speaking a foreign language fluently and mistake them for being a 1st generation immigrant.

Yet, if you ask them a question in English, they will respond in fluent American English as well.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:28 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
If that football player believes...
I'm guessing you've never actually been to Dearborn, Michigan...

Old 03-24-2017, 02:15 PM

626 posts, read 381,171 times
Well the poll is missing the obvious...

Old 03-24-2017, 04:33 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burg_phil View Post
And what exactly is an "American" first name?
Squanto
Pocahontas
Sacajawea

Old 03-24-2017, 05:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
If that football player believes that Sharia law should supersede U.S. law, then no, he's not assimilated. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev participated in certain aspects of American culture, but still felt compelled to bomb the Boston Marathon, so it became painfully clear that he didn't assimilate. Being that the U.S. is a nation of laws, it is impossible for an immigrant to assimilate without respecting U.S. law.
What about when a US citizen doesn't respect US law? What about Timothy McVeigh? Not assimilated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.