Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:00 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
To be honest, very uppity, arrogant and self-righteous. Looks down on working class people and looks down on things like Walmart, country music, Christians, pickup trucks, Southern accents, rebel flags, down home cooking, Cracker Barrel, Waffle House, etc. Militantly pro-gay and liberal, supports Hillary Clinton. Drinks foreign wines and craft beers most of the time. Impatient and demanding personality, the kind of people who are difficult customers for example and very prone to complaining. Very caught up on political correctness and are easily offended and finds everything "offensive" and "inappropriate".
I would say this post seems very uppity, arrogant and self-righteous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 04:47 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Educated, worldly, healthy, open minded, uptight, self absorbed, rat race mentality.
This describes many people who arent from big cities and is a nischaracterization if many people who are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The second anyone starts to talk about the "real world" or "out of touch", I immediately discount what's being said because it's coming from a position of the "real world" that excludes the valid experiences of others that are in the same "world". Everyone's experiences and perspectives are real. The limitation is not being open to the reality of others' experiences and perspectives and that is certainly not a problem that's limited to any particular subset of society.
Big city people generally deal with different issues than people do in the country. Context shapes us. We adapt to the realities that are our existences and we choose how to respond to them. I am no cultural anthropologist but it would seem to me that the nurture we receive and the complexities that we each face determine how we respond to life in general and to the systems in place that enable or disable our successes.
Absolutely this...

Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I would describe a big city guy as a guy from a big city.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:29 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,386,675 times
Easily bored without a constant and changing choice of stimulation.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM

201 posts, read 219,733 times
Quote:
To be honest, very uppity, arrogant and self-righteous. Looks down on working class people and looks down on things like Walmart, country music, Christians, pickup trucks, Southern accents, rebel flags, down home cooking, Cracker Barrel, Waffle House, etc. Militantly pro-gay and liberal, supports Hillary Clinton. Drinks foreign wines and craft beers most of the time. Impatient and demanding personality, the kind of people who are difficult customers for example and very prone to complaining. Very caught up on political correctness and are easily offended and finds everything "offensive" and "inappropriate".
Um, you could just as easily reverse that stereotype and describe a lot of Southern small towners with those same three characteristics. Watch this: Looks down on "city slickers" (especially if they're under 37) and looks down on things like non-Christians or even Catholics, northeastern accents (quick to use the term "yankees"), rock and metal music, public transportation, Starbucks, local coffee shops, alcohol in general but especially local pubs and craft beers, upscale steakhouses, night clubs, interracial relationships, rap and hip-hop music, liberal politics, separation of church and state, living over an hour away from family, men with long hair, public schools or even Catholic schools, Italian food, winter, the LGBT community, Halloween, big city traffic, any city with a Democratic government and/or a high level of actual diversity, people who live in ghetto areas of the city even though they may very well have a similar annual income or even have a similar job as some of those people, etc. Doesn't have a college degree and/or denies that the Holocaust ever happened. Uses the term "y'all" at least six times a day. Very controlling and pushy personality, imposing a collectivistic culture on others, always telling other people what to think and what to like, and finds everything they don't like or understand and everyone that disagrees with them "evil".

You see? That does not mean that all city dwellers hate rural residents or hate everything that is typically part of their culture, nor does it prove that it's entirely true the other way around, and it also does not mean that one personality epitomizes or reflects the whole stereotype. They are vastly different personalities for sure, but that does not make one better than the other. I'm sure on both sides you can find individuals who have enough sense to put their differences aside rather than dismiss the other. Besides, there are probably some people that grew up with the more rural culture than when they got on their own went for a more urban lifestyle and vice versa.

Last edited by Metal To The Core; 10-06-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 02:39 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
Um, you could just as easily reverse that stereotype and describe a lot of Southern small towners with those same three characteristics. Watch this: Looks down on "city slickers" (especially if they're under 37) and looks down on things like non-Christians or even Catholics, northeastern accents (quick to use the term "yankees"), rock and metal music, public transportation, Starbucks, local coffee shops, alcohol in general but especially local pubs and craft beers, upscale steakhouses, night clubs, interracial relationships, rap and hip-hop music, liberal politics, separation of church and state, living over an hour away from family, men with long hair, public schools or even Catholic schools, Italian food, winter, the LGBT community, Halloween, big city traffic, any city with a Democratic government and/or a high level of actual diversity, people who live in ghetto areas of the city even though they may very well have a similar annual income or even have a similar job as some of those people, etc. Doesn't have a college degree and/or denies that the Holocaust ever happened. Uses the term "y'all" at least six times a day. Very controlling and pushy personality, imposing a collectivistic culture on others, always telling other people what to think and what to like, and finds everything they don't like or understand and everyone that disagrees with them "evil".

You see? That does not mean that all city dwellers hate rural residents or hate everything that is typically part of their culture, nor does it prove that it's entirely true the other way around, and it also does not mean that one personality epitomizes or reflects the whole stereotype. They are vastly different personalities for sure, but that does not make one better than the other. I'm sure on both sides you can find individuals who have enough sense to put their differences aside rather than dismiss the other. Besides, there are probably some people that grew up with the more rural culture than when they got on their own went for a more urban lifestyle and vice versa.
The funny thing about that is nowadays, a lot of "redneck" types wear long hair and beards! Many even smoke weed.

Also, I'll add that the stereotypical Southerner does drink, but they drink Bud Light rather than craft beer

Old 10-07-2017, 09:33 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Paranoia
If you want to see paranoia you can find it in rural western states like Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:55 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
I'm a big city guy and I 100% agree with this. I'm a Democrat too, but people this elitist and condescending really get on my nerves.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:55 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,253 times
bald, sometimes drinks, smokes cigars and wears black.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:46 PM

1,491 posts, read 379,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Hehe I'm only doing this for fun and playing your stereotyping game. Let me just change a few words/terms.

Simple minded, insular

Poor backward depressed city

People who don't believe in separation of church and state, thus persecute all that are not like-minded

People most dependent on government assistance

I live in the bible belt

Difference between someone that tells you how you should live your life based on the bible, and how everything is sin and someone that is creative living their own life successfully without bothering anyone else.

Hehe.

Nice post!

people like Mitt Romney right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.