Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times

Advertisements

Although Seattle is somewhat multicultural, I don't hear as many foreign accents/ languages around me when I am out & about, as compared to New York City, LA, San Fran or Toronto. If I do hear foreign languages it's usually restricted to downtown tourist districts. I occasionally hear various Asian languages & Spanish but there aren't too many Mexicans here. Plus I rarely hear a Southern accent or a stereotypical NYC- Boston accent in my neck of the woods.
Is it easy to hear foreign languages/ accents around you in your town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Although Seattle is somewhat multicultural, I don't hear as many foreign accents/ languages around me when I am out & about, as compared to New York City, LA, San Fran or Toronto. If I do hear foreign languages it's usually restricted to downtown tourist districts. I occasionally hear various Asian languages & Spanish but there aren't too many Mexicans here. Plus I rarely hear a Southern accent or a stereotypical NYC- Boston accent in my neck of the woods.
Is it easy to hear foreign languages/ accents around you in your town?
i speak spanish a lot with my freinds here, i try to teach them spanish as well.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:08 AM

11 posts, read 34,223 times
I don't think Lansing, Michigan gets many foreign people. I moved here 2 years ago from England and i've not met / spoke to / heard any other people with an accent which is kinda strange as Michigan State is a few mins away from me.
It still makes me laugh when im ordering food or in a gas station or what ever and i'll ask for something and i get looked at as if im from another world.
One time i was driving through Tennessee on my way to Florida and i stopped at a Mcdonalds at 3am to get some coffee and the girl over the intercom couldn't understand that i was asking for cream with my coffee and asked me to pull forward so i did, she then gave me my coffee with no cream so i asked her again could i have some cream, anyway she couldn't understand me and went and got her manager who also couldnt understand me. I ended up spelling out c-r-e-a-m and they both said OH CREAMER. It was an experience to say the least .

Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM

57 posts, read 324,971 times
No, I don't hear foreign languages often except the very occassional spanish. Southern/Country accents are the norm. Unusual to hear other types of accents.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
yup, chinese, vietnamese, korean, african queen's english, UK queen's english, farsi and other middle eastern type dialects I don't know, russian, spanish with lots of flavors, greek (believe it or not), american english, american northeastern english, american southern english, american urban english.... hell, my wife is ESL so I'd say yeah

Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Where do I begin? In my current neighborhood I hear a lot of Spanish, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, and of course that one crazy guy I know who hangs out at the corner bar and swears to himself in Portuguese whenever he gets upset. Where I used to live (about 4 miles from where I live now), I used to hear a lot of Korean, Spanish, Farsi, Arabic, Cambodian/Khmer, Romanian, and about everything else (but that particular neighborhood had one of highest percentages of foreign-born residents in the whole darn city, I read somewhere that over 40 languages were spoken in the public schools alone over in that neck of the woods). At work I frequently hear people talking amongst themselves in Spanish, Polish, or Korean. So yeah, I can honestly say that rarely a day goes by where I don't hear a language other than English being spoken around me.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
every accent, all the time.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quite a few. It's not NY or LA but quite a few. In my particular area it's getting more common to hear Korean and Indian languages, but Spanish and Hebrew are still the most common foreign languages I hear although I hear all sorts of accents in English, including a lot of various West Indian accents.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:00 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Out here we hear a little Russian sometimes, but that's about all.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:17 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Chicago has a ton.

I live on the north side, and it's pretty much inbetween different areas.

I hear a lot of Polish, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Serbian, random south-east Asian, and European people who moved here for whatever business reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.