Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 08:30 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I'll start this thread by saying that I know, and very much love the Great Lakes as much as any coastal region in the country (Upper MN, MI, WI, ON are SPECTACULAR).

But, what I was wondering about is this: Which strip or area of land in the Eastern US, along the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic, provides something the most similar to the rugged cliffs of Acadia. I know there isn't anywhere further south that quite matches it in this sense, but I was wondering if there were places further south that had a similar appeal, and that sort of "removed" feel that places like Acadia have. Places that I considered that might have it would be Padre Island National Seashore in TX, Gulf Islands National Seashore in FL, Cumberland Island National Seashore in GA, and Assateague Island National Seashore in MD. Which of these (or somewhere else) would you say is the best not so much for coastal "lounging" as in a beach resort type thing, but more for coastal hiking, and a rugged feel? Closer to FL would be better, ideal for a weekend trip, but, that isn't a requirement. Thanks all!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 08:41 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Which strip or area of land in the Eastern US, along the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic, provides something the most similar to the rugged cliffs of Acadia. I know there isn't anywhere further south that quite matches it in this sense, but I was wondering if there were places further south that had a similar appeal, and that sort of "removed" feel that places like Acadia have. ll!
Cape Anne in Mass and Newport, RI have rocky shores. You won't find any rugged cliffs really anywhere south of Maine, although on Marthas Vineyard there is a big headland at the western end of the island with clay colored cliffs that are pretty cool. From Long Island south to Florida the Atlantic seaboard is mostly sandy barrier islands.

Block Island, RI has a very palpable island time vibe, not too crowded, and feels nicely "removed". There are parts of Cape Cod National Seashore that feel like a dunes wilderness with nice beachy hiking trails away from the crowds. I love the Outer Banks in NC, lots of beautiful, wide open beaches. Further along the National Seashore it gets uncrowded. I've always wanted to take the ferry over to Ocracoke Island.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-09-2017 at 08:53 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 07:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I love the Outer Banks of NC and they have more of a windswept, rugged appeal than any part of the coastline further south. None of the Gulf Coast beaches are going to have that rugged feel, including South Padre Island, which is beautiful but definitely not rocky and/or isolated.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:34 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I believe that Montauk Point on the eastern end of Long Island kind of fits.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:31 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
The southeastern coast really has nothing like that, although Cumberland Island, GA has some tall, cliff-like dunes. You can see them from Jekyll Island, 20 miles away.

http://www.myajc.com/rf/image_inline...to.8506281.JPG

Old 05-10-2017, 09:29 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Nope, nothing like that in the eastern US except Maine.

Closest matches would be north, i.e., Canada just north of Maine. Or switch coasts and you have big, rocky, wild coastline (including long no-roads stretches) at Olympic National Park in NW Washington. Oh...and southeast Alaska!

Old 05-10-2017, 09:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Fun fact: the Northeast's characteristic rocky coasts begin in the Bronx.

Twin Island, Bronx, NY

Old 05-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
You would think that coastal NC was rugged if you watched I Know what You Did Last Summer, but the coastal scenes in that were actually filmed in Jenner, CA (north of the Bay Area in coastal Sonoma County). Only the scenes in town and at the harbor were filmed in Southport,NC (where the movie takes place)

Old 05-10-2017, 12:49 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Twin Island, Bronx, NY
I believe OP is looking for something like this:

Old 05-10-2017, 05:12 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Twin Island, Bronx, NY
Nice oasis, but I thought the OP was looking for something more remote, not so close to a huge city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.