Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 04:08 AM

4 posts, read 4,295 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm currently living in the MD/DC/VA area and I never really liked it. I just need a mountain retreat that I can go to and maybe retire in. I'm Currently in the early planning stages of moving. I took a ski trip to Colorado last year and it was absolutely beautiful. I loved the mountains more than anything, and it convinced me that I need to move to them.

Do you guys know of a place I can move that will be perfect for me? Here are things that are most important to me:

Temperature: I'm looking for somewhere that has constantly cool temperatures, anything higher than 70 degrees is rather warm for me. I'd love to live in a place that would average around 60 degrees during non-winter seasons.

Altitude: 6,500 ft or more preferably. Because of the health and fitness benefits.

Location: In the mountains and isolated. I'd prefer not being apart of a neighborhood or near big towns. I'm willing to buy a large plot of land so I can build a home because of it. I'm willing to drive 15 minutes+ to get to town.

Proximity to a Ski Resort: During the winter months I want to be able to have easy access to a ski resort, I will most likely be skiing almost every day if possible. If cheap enough I could just buy a condo on the resort for skiing, and live further away.

Cost: I'd prefer moving to a state that has a lower cost of living. I've heard that Colorado can be very expensive so I may want to avoid that.

Thats all I got so far.. Now I've done some lurking around this site, and mostly what I've been hearing is that Colorado is experiencing a big influx of people. There are a lot of people moving in, and not all of them care about the land or the nature in the way they should... And its getting kinda crowded. I'd like to stay in a state where the people have a connection to the land and really care about preserving it. I don't want to say it, but I feel like Colorado is attracting too many people who just want to smoke weed all day. I'm not a fan of that type of lifestyle.

That being said, I've trying to narrow my search to just states at the moment. And I've heard good stuff about Montana and maybe Wyoming. However, I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you!

Last edited by wululu; 05-21-2017 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 04:55 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,267,519 times
Leadville, Colorado

Elevation 10,240 ft

Close to Aspen without the high prices.

Rarely goes above 70F ....natural AC

Old 05-21-2017, 05:56 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Idaho has quite a few ski options as well, and seems to be a live/let live type state.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:15 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Check out the Driggs ID area which has great skiing 5 miles east at Grand Targhee in Alta, just across the WY state line in the Grand Tetons. Driggs has much more of a down-to-earth western vibe than most of the ski areas in the West, and the center of town sits at 6100 feet in elevation, and much higher in surrounding areas. Grand Targhee Mountain for instance just 5 miles away is at 7800 feet.

http://www.driggs.govoffice.com/vert...tors_Guide.pdf

Grand Targhee Ski Resort & Bike Park in Alta, Wyoming

Old 05-21-2017, 10:27 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
When I saw skiing and hermit in the same sentence, I immediately thought of Idaho.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:33 PM

Thanks for suggesting Idaho guys. For some reason I never even considered it.. Maybe thats a good thing, It'll keep the other wannabes like me out

Old 05-21-2017, 03:46 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,377 times
Utah

Old 05-21-2017, 06:46 PM

108 posts, read 130,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
When I saw skiing and hermit in the same sentence, I immediately thought of Idaho.
Likewise. It's a beautiful state!

Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Also how much snow are you willing to shovel? For instance Snoqualmie pass, WA (census designated place) has 311 people at an elevation of only 2,726 ft but gets 406.7 in (33.9 ft) of snow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqua...ington#Climate

Not to be confused with the ski resort/pass that is a stone throw away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Pass#Climate

Old 05-21-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Also how much snow are you willing to shovel? For instance Snoqualmie pass, WA (census designated place) has 311 people at an elevation of only 2,726 ft but gets 406.7 in (33.9 ft) of snow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqua...ington#Climate

Not to be confused with the ski resort/pass that is a stone throw away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Pass#Climate
I'm not the biggest fan of shoveling snow, but I'll do it if it means I can live in the area I love.

The elevation of the place is absolutely crucial. I want to take advantage of the health benefits of living at a higher altitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.