Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 10:12 AM

13 posts, read 44,591 times

Advertisements

Long story short, i'm 22 years old and im living in an apartment in the upper midwest that my adoptive parents are paying for. Soon they might be sending me down south to live with relatives until i get approved for SSI, then i want to move out and live in a subsidized housing/apartments in one of the southern states (i applied for SSI because of my mental illnesses make it too stressful and overwhelming for me to hold a job.)

My adoptive parents pay for my electricity too, but once i get SSI, i'll have to pay for it myself. Right now at the apartment i'm in, it's a one bedroom apartment, and my electric bill is always 33$-36$ a month. There's no other utilities that have to be paid for either.

I'm just wondering, what is everyone else's electric bill price per month around the country? I just want to know how much i'll most likely be paying for electricity a month.

And if this helps, here's the states I'm considering moving to (arranged in the order from where I want to live the most, to where I want to live the least, but they're all my choices, and i really prefer to live some place warm): Florida, South Carolina, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Arizona, California, New Mexico, Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky, West Virginia, Ohio

^the reason why i listed all of those is because I want to get an idea on how it is in the states I want to be in.

Also, how much is your internet too?

Old 05-26-2017, 12:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
In Chicago for a one-bedroom with central air conditioner it was anywhere from $15 in the winter to $60 in the summer.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:02 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Our electric bill in Phoenix for a 900sq ft 1 bedroom ranges from $60 in Nov-January and March to $35 in February& November (no heat or AC needed generally) to $90 in April&October up to $180 in July

Old 05-26-2017, 04:16 PM

122 posts, read 260,621 times
One thing to look for is co-ops for electricity rates. I never knew about these till I was buying a house in the hot desert and was very concerned about A/C costs. I live in an area with an electrical co-op and pay .03-.04 a kwh , while people living 1 mile away pay over .20 a kwh. Basically it means my bills are 5-7 times less just because I live in the co-op. There are co-ops hidden across the country and the only real press they seem to get is when politics get involved.
I have always dreaded utility bills but I love my electric co-op company. Not only are the rates cheap but they so nice and have so many events for the community and since they are non-profit, anything you overpay comes back to you.

With both internet and electric, just do your homework. Internet has so many $20 a month deals, but it doesn't mean the speeds or deals are available to all. Most internet providers have addresses checkers online that will tell you what is available and how much the cost is. I can't tell you how many people I know bought or rented and now don't get good internet speeds because they didn't check first.

As for my area, Southern Utah we have so few 1 bedrooms but a 2 bedroom (my BIL rents) is $30 a month for electricity and the internet is included. $110 of the rent goes to pay for internet, cable, water, and trash as a "association fee". It is perfect for my young BIL because he knows his bills are a set rate and he only pays 2 checks a month. Of course the wages are so low here I don't recommend it, but it does have some of the lowest electricity rates and what many say is great weather (350 days of sunshine).

I'm currently moving away and the one thing I will miss is the low electricity rates.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:46 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
What you need to take into consideration is the rate of the area and not the actual bill other people pay. I pay 6 1/4 cents per kW/h but at some future date I will be in an area of Maine where it is 25 cents per kW/h. Another consideration is heating, hot water, range and dryer if all of them are gas then your refrigerator will be the biggest power draw other than air conditioning.

I live in a house with gas heat, gas hot water heater, electric range and dryer no central air and my usage is around 275 kW/h a month.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:06 AM

51 posts, read 51,580 times
In Miami Beach, for a ~600sqft 1-bedroom 1-bed with a Water-Cooled AC central system, it's around $80-120 a month for electricity during the Summer months and $20-40 during the winter months, with spring and fall being inbetween.

For internet, Atlantic Broadband is around $80 a month. So max a month for both is around $200.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:30 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,750 times
~$30

Old 05-27-2017, 02:00 PM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Forever_20 View Post
how do i figure out the rate of the area?
I am on Holmes-Wayne Electric, a Coop. The electric rate is 11.493 cents per kilowatt-hour. In addition, there is an $18.75 monthly service charge.

My limited experience with apartments is that the utilities can be surprisingly high for the amount of square feet. When I built my house, I put in as much insulation as possible. The landlord has little incentive to reduce utility costs by weatherstripping and insulating, as long as the tenant is the one paying the utility bills.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
This is a tough comparison because every city bills utilities differently. For example, some, like my city in Washington State, puts many services on a general bill. Electric, Sewer, Stormwater, Ambulance are all combined. My bill for the year averages around 400-600 KHW in the summer and 1100-2000 KHW in the winter. (This past winter was unusually cold for my area so bills were higher than normal.) But generally 50-60 dollars during the summer, and 100+ in winter. Location: Tri-Cities, in Eastern Washington. About 35% of my bill is for non-electric charges.

Internet can be confusing as well, as a lot depends on how you bundle. I pay 60 a month for DirectTV, and run my internet through Charter (Spectrum) for 40 a month. You also have to remember that you can always switch your media services around to take advantage of introductory rates. I have found it is a money saver to do this to avoid the insane price increases that most services go to in year 2 or 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.