Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 3,777 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are a married gay couple in our late 20s. Both working professionals living in New Orleans. We have been talking about relocating for a while now, checking out different spots as we have been travelling the country in the past few years. We have come to the conclusion we definitely prefer the upper West coast--anywhere from Bay area up to Vancouver, really. Ideally we would live in a small town, more rural area that is not too far from a more major urban area like SF, Portland, Seattle, Eugene, etc. We are tired of city living and want to have a little land and green space but still be close enough to enjoy urban comforts on weekends and what not. We are very health conscious and I would say hippy lite in the types of cultural and community activities we enjoy--so it would be nice if the rural area we end up in is somewhat weird and funky kind of like an Asheville, NC situation or Ashland, OR. We want seasons (which we no longer have in New Orleans) but no extreme heat or cold. I love Washington state and Seattle area but I'm not sure if I could handle a place that rains that frequently.

Any ideas? Recommendations? It would be nice to get some suggestions from people and then we can research and even visit on trips before making a move.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 05:59 PM

20,859 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Hood River, OR sounds right up your alley.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:43 PM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Check out Davis CA which could be a good fit in terms of dodging the gloom of areas in much of WA or OR.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:32 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Victoria, BC. Not exactly a small town, but a beautiful small, compact city just a skip and a jump (and maybe a ferry ride) away from beautiful rural areas. The weather isn't bad, either. Much sunnier than WA state pacific coastal areas.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:38 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
McMinnville, Oregon City or Sandy OR (if you can handle the winter rain), outside Santa Rosa CA...

In the Hood River area the weather and climate is very different 10-20 miles from west to east, from the river to the mountains.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-28-2018 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanks! Never heard of Hood River but a quick google search and I'm interested in learning more!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Davis CA which could be a good fit in terms of dodging the gloom of areas in much of WA or OR.
I had thought about Davis but a friend of mine who lived near there said that Davis is a very generic city, anywhere USA type and surrounding area is not super scenic. Is that not the case?

Old 10-29-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
McMinnville, Oregon City or Sandy OR (if you can handle the winter rain), outside Santa Rosa CA...

In the Hood River area the weather and climate is very different 10-20 miles from west to east, from the river to the mountains.
I am checking these out... Thanks!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Victoria, BC. Not exactly a small town, but a beautiful small, compact city just a skip and a jump (and maybe a ferry ride) away from beautiful rural areas. The weather isn't bad, either. Much sunnier than WA state pacific coastal areas.
We LOVE Victornia. I guess I hadn't considered it as a possibility because I was assuming it was super expensive to live there. Any idea about affordability? Or are there certain areas that are affordable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.