Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 04:24 PM

106 posts, read 96,120 times
****cago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Quote:
Knoxville share no similarities with Nashville
River city
hilly topography
entertainment venues/bars downtown
University presence near downtown
Large lakes in the vicinity

downtown on a plateau
professional hockey
Wide ethnic diversity
I-40

I certainly realize Nashville is bigger and more popular but have listed some similarities. The first set applies to Chattanooga as well.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Dallas and Fort Worth are whole different vibes.Dallas is more glitz,glamour,fancy and white collar/city-slicker and Fort Worth is more Cowboy and blue collar/down to earth.
This guy has no clue what he is talking about ever.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:48 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
In California, none of the major cities feel out of place, per se. However, San Diego has some strange quasi-Midwesternness because of all the military and young professional transplants from the Midwest who live in the area. I actually think San Diego does feel out of place relative to, say, L.A., San Francisco, Oakland, or Sacramento, yet it still feels Californian at the same time.

For California, I'd ultimately vote for (a) Eureka, (b) Crescent City and (c) Yreka in the north, as they feel like they should be just part of Oregon; and, (d) Imperial County in the south, as it has far more in common with Yuma, AZ than with the rest of Southern California.

In another state, Kentucky, (a) Louisville inside I-264, (b) the tri-county northern Kentucky region (Covington, Newport, Florence, Fort Thomas), and (c) the flatlands and bayous along the Mississippi River (Fulton, Hickman, Columbus, Wickliffe) actually feel pretty out of place from the rest of the state. Kentucky can be rather strange.

Other examples I can think of... Mobile in Alabama, El Paso in Texas, the cities in the northwest corner of Indiana, and, arguably, Cincinnati in Ohio.
I think Bakersfield and Barstow run contrary to what mainstream California is. My definition of mainstream California would be Santa Monica, Hollywood, the San Fernando Valley and Orange County. California is about liberalism, coastal glamor, materialism and conspicuous consumption. Bakersfield and Barstow are very different from this norm.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
For CA I'd also vote for Eureka. I really only know northern CA, but pretty much everywhere else in northern CA, there is a decent amount of diversity - in culture, politics, etc. Eureka is like it's own weird isolated pod without much dissention.

I lived in Crescent City, and it's even not as weird/unique/different as Eureka, in my opinion.

Sacramento? Are you kidding? That's where CA pretty much started lol. Hello gold rush.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:44 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
This guy has no clue what he is talking about ever.
You're talking about the poster that C24L is responding to, right?

Old 07-03-2017, 05:26 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
Los Alamos New Mexico. Perched up on a mountain by itself, self contained, isolated, totally dominated by the Lab, and more prosperous than any other town in New Mexico.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:41 PM

66 posts, read 47,233 times
When I went to college freshman year at UW-Parkside, I really felt like Kenosha was out of place in Wisconsin. It felt more "Illinoisan". It just might be because I met a lot of people who commute from there to Chicago or Milwaukee. There is an Amtrak station about 15 minutes from campus as well in which lots of people use too to get to Chicago. It is considered part of the Chicago Metro area after all.

I just took a trip down memory lane and walked around the Parkside campus yesterday too and still felt the same way.

I would also even add River Falls, WI which is about 20 minutes from the Minnesota border. I transferred to UW-River Falls from Parkside. Because of reciprocity, a little over half the students who go to college there are from Minnesota so I encountered A LOT of Minnesotans. Between their "Minnesota goodbyes", the student commuters from the Twin Cities, and the overwhelming love for the Vikings/Wild/T-Wolves, it just felt more Minnesota than Wisconsin. And a majority of the professors who teach there commute from the TC as well.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:31 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
In Texas, many people claim it's Austin but I feel El Paso is the one that's out of place. Austin feels more like the "cool kid" that everyone wants to be like while El Paso is more like the outcast nobody wants to follow.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:13 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
In New Hampshire, the towns of Nashua and Salem feel out-of-place relative to the rest of the state due to the pervasive Boston/Massachusetts influence.

Over the years, these towns, which are both situated on the Massachusetts state line, have been transformed from small, sleepy northern New England towns to exurban bedroom communities for commuters in the Greater Boston area due to a continuous influx of transplants from Massachusetts.

The lower taxes and housing costs as well as the more conservative state and local politics are usually cited as the pull factors. Given the proximity of these towns to most Boston area job centers, it's a no-brainer for a lot of people who don't mind long commutes, want more house and land for their money and lean conservative from a political standpoint.

A similar phenomenon has been occurring in most Fairfield County, CT with the heavy New York City influence, but on a much larger scale, of course.

Aside from the built environment and governmental structure, a lot of towns in southwestern Connecticut share more in common with towns in northern New Jersey than the rest of Connecticut in terms of income, demographics, culture, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.