Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 PM

20 posts, read 22,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Traverse City MI. It's a beautiful area with tons to do and largely everything on your wish list.

Grand Traverse County Outdoor Recreation - MyNorth.com
Northern Michigan biking
kyle1925,

Traverse City is a great suggestion, thank you. I have been there and that Northwest Michigan area is gorgeous. I've heard that they have made progress on the lake shore bike trail there also. If money were no object, I would own a summer cabin on the shores of beautiful Lake Charlevoix (Not a lot of protected bike paths along the shores of Charlevoix, that I am aware of, however.).

Meanwhile, back in the real world - Is the Traverse City area humid in the summers? Are there a lot of bugs?

Thanks again,
CalKidWilly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Generally, small lakes = bugs.

I might suggest one of the less trendy corners of NY's Finger Lakes region (such as Geneva or Auburn), but those communities are relatively bike trail deficient. However, they have plenty of wide shouldered low traffic rural roads with low hills.

Montour Falls NY, a small village yet to be completely "discovered," could be a possibility. It is a raw end of the NYS Barge Canal system and on one of the few developed rail trails in the Finger Lakes region. I'm not sure how much of a bug producer the adjacent Queen Catharine marsh (still officially "Bad Indian Swamp" in the USGS GNIS) is.
ki0eh,

Your suggestions of Geneva, Auburn and Montour Falls NY, are great, thank you for those. I am not experienced with this region but I am particularly intrigued by any "undiscovered gems" as there must be some of those out there! Our flexible lifestyle will allow us the freedom to spend time in areas that don't have features such as a job base, urban transit, etc.

Suggestions like those you provided which direct us to specific town names are particularly helpful.

In our older ages we are conservative in our riding and try to remain on dedicated bike paths in our riding. We have a tremendous system in Tucson. Every year it seems there are tragic cycling deaths on the road here (and everywhere) with vehicles.
Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 PM

Izzie1213,

It will be our well-kept secret then, pinky-swear! Great suggestions. I have very little personal experience with Wisconsin (Drank a lot of beer at UW Madison back in the day though.) I have never heard of the "Driftless Wisconsin" region that you reference. I will check out the link you provided.

That's something that I enjoy about this sight - so many folks with experience and knowledge that I do not have, willing to help and offer information like this, with no profit motives too boot!

Do you have any experience with the mosquito level of discomfort and the humidity levels in the summer in this area? Living in the desert, we are spoiled on those counts (We do have mild humidity and bugs during the summer monsoon season.)

Thank you again.
CalKidWilly

Old 08-18-2017, 12:40 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Thanks for keeping it a secret. The humidity can get to a uncomfortable area at times but not a constant thing like in Houston or Arkansas, Florida, which is all I have to compare it to personally. Mosquitoes in most of Minnesota can be bad but that particular region is know for being relatively mosquito free because of the geology. But not totally.

As a side note. I've camped in Wyoming, Jackson Hole, Grand Teton area many years ago and I always enjoyed the lack of humidity when camping. Never woke up with that damp feeling in the morning as opposed to it in Minnesota. I don't know about biking or paddle boarding. Don't remember any mosquitoes though. I don't think much standing water, but mostly cold streams and rivers.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Thanks for keeping it a secret. The humidity can get to a uncomfortable area at times but not a constant thing like in Houston or Arkansas, Florida, which is all I have to compare it to personally. Mosquitoes in most of Minnesota can be bad but that particular region is know for being relatively mosquito free because of the geology. But not totally.

As a side note. I've camped in Wyoming, Jackson Hole, Grand Teton area many years ago and I always enjoyed the lack of humidity when camping. Never woke up with that damp feeling in the morning as opposed to it in Minnesota. I don't know about biking or paddle boarding. Don't remember any mosquitoes though. I don't think much standing water, but mostly cold streams and rivers.
Izzie1213,

I have also camped in the Summer in the Grand Tetons and recall waking up to dry ground and not with the wet dew associated with my summer camping in the Midwest. I enjoyed that very much.

We may have to eliminate the water criteria from our search "wish list" and instead focus on areas with good bike paths or trails and the other items on our list.

Thanks for your feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.