Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:45 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times

Advertisements

Avoid high point. I would pick nc but I wouldn't want to live in highpoint. It's like a whole in the wall. Nothing is there. If you look the mall is closing down. Just a bunch of furniture stores. Greensboro is a ok city that's close. I would look into that area but stay away from high point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 09:27 PM

828 posts, read 691,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringslider View Post
My employer is closing the California office that I work in. They have 2 offices that they are giving us the choice to relocate. The cities are High Point, NC and Lake Mary, FL. I will be moving my wife and 3 children (3, 9 and 14). I'm looking for opinions on the typical issues. Schools, cost of living, crime, etc. I am also interested in surrounding cities and towns. As a family, we enjoy outdoor activities like camping. The one thing that the whole family likes (even the teenager), is boating/water sports. I don't think the humidity will be a large consideration. Any info on these areas would be great. Also, if anyone has any info on Jiu Jitsu/MMA schools for kids in these areas.

Thanks!
Both states are great choices to move to, but neither of those cities are particularly great. If you like boating/water sports and outdoor activities, then I would case my vote for Florida.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:51 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,298 times
Important factor you should take into consideration Florida has NO INCOME TAX and they won't ever be able to instill one without rewriting their constitution. You would be giving yourself a raise. Orlando metro is also one of the fastest growing metros in the country(if not world). Great area to be in right now. Also, your kids would love being 15 minutes from Disney World. Look into Horizon West it regularly tops lists of best areas for families in the country.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:34 AM

15 posts, read 14,601 times
Default Nc - fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Important factor you should take into consideration Florida has NO INCOME TAX and they won't ever be able to instill one without rewriting their constitution. You would be giving yourself a raise. Orlando metro is also one of the fastest growing metros in the country(if not world). Great area to be in right now. Also, your kids would love being 15 minutes from Disney World. Look into Horizon West it regularly tops lists of best areas for families in the country.

This is a good point. A friend that has been to both places just told me would would be bored in NC.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringslider View Post
This is a good point. A friend that has been to both places just told me would would be bored in NC.
You wouldn't be bored in nc. Just that part of nc. Nc is a great state but highpoint is one of the worse

Old 09-03-2017, 05:43 AM

27,174 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
You wouldn't be bored in nc. Just that part of nc. Nc is a great state but highpoint is one of the worse
Clearly you're talking out of somewhere other than your mouth. High Point is 15 miles from Greensboro, a city with a population of 300K and within a metro area of over 1.7 million. It's anything but boring and the OP can easily live in the Greensboro suburbs to commute to his job in High Point.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly you're talking out of somewhere other than your mouth. High Point is 15 miles from Greensboro, a city with a population of 300K and within a metro area of over 1.7 million. It's anything but boring and the OP can easily live in the Greensboro suburbs to commute to his job in High Point.
If you read my post before I said Greensboro was a decent place to live. Im pointing in on the city of high point itself. Also on a another note, metro area population doesn't mean anything. They are cities far less populated with more options to do in a city but that's a whole other subject...

Old 09-03-2017, 09:47 AM

27,174 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
If you read my post before I said Greensboro was a decent place to live. Im pointing in on the city of high point itself.
If you go back and read from the beginning the OP is moving to take a job in High Point. While maybe not the most awesome city in itself, the close proximity to desirable places to live makes that seem a whole lot less important with the OP coming/going every day.....which was the point I was making.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you go back and read from the beginning the OP is moving to take a job in High Point. While maybe not the most awesome city in itself, the close proximity to desirable places to live makes that seem a whole lot less important with the OP coming/going every day.....which was the point I was making.
And again i was pointing out to leave highpoint out of those list of cities to live in.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:18 PM

12,811 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Good luck OP, life can be exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.