Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 06:11 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

With a maximum budgeted rent of $1300 most of the recommendations thus far would put you into a roommate situation given the amount is well below market value for a desirable/safe option in a good area. Close-in suburbs of Chicago would work well within your budget as well as cities like Richmond and Indianapolis (which could be a great fit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM

12 posts, read 7,488 times
Thank ya'll! This is very helpful. I've heard Rochester is a great city and lot of people enjoy living there. I've also heard that there aren't many jobs there though. I'll still be working in insurance when i move while I study to become an interpreter. I can't move without a job so that's my only concern with Rochester. Thank you for all the links and suggestions that definitely makes me want to go visit but I'll have to do some more research for the job thing.

I think Chicago is a great city but I'm getting some pushback from my parents who were born and raised there but the company i work for now has an office there so that is a perk.

Yeah I'll look at Philly a bit more as well. And thank ya'll for the interpreting/deaf tips as well, that's very helpful too !

Old 09-21-2017, 12:43 PM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean5 View Post
Thank ya'll! This is very helpful. I've heard Rochester is a great city and lot of people enjoy living there. I've also heard that there aren't many jobs there though. I'll still be working in insurance when i move while I study to become an interpreter. I can't move without a job so that's my only concern with Rochester. Thank you for all the links and suggestions that definitely makes me want to go visit but I'll have to do some more research for the job thing.

I think Chicago is a great city but I'm getting some pushback from my parents who were born and raised there but the company i work for now has an office there so that is a perk.

Yeah I'll look at Philly a bit more as well. And thank ya'll for the interpreting/deaf tips as well, that's very helpful too !
If you can't find anything in Rochester, Buffalo has companies such as Geico, National General Insurance and Travelers in the area. It would offer similar things as Rochester(a hour away, give or take) in terms of what I mentioned, but you have access to Canadian cities such as Hamilton and Toronto(has a big Caribbean festival in Caribana) within a short drive as well. It has an even lower overall cost of living as well.

There's this program at the University of Buffalo: http://emilyglennsmith.wixsite.com/ubaslprogram

https://catalog.buffalo.edu/courses/..._language.html

In terms of neighborhoods, Allentown, Elmwood Village, North Buffalo and maybe even in the Parkside/Vernon Triangle/Central Park/Canisius College/Hamlin Park area around Main Street/the metro rail line may work. In terms of suburbs, perhaps parts of Amherst, Cheektowaga and even the Kenmore/Tonawanda area area some that come to mind.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-21-2017 at 12:57 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 12:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
With a maximum budgeted rent of $1300 most of the recommendations thus far would put you into a roommate situation given the amount is well below market value for a desirable/safe option in a good area. Close-in suburbs of Chicago would work well within your budget as well as cities like Richmond and Indianapolis (which could be a great fit).
A friend of mine lived in a 1bd in Pilsen right off the Damen stop for $800. $1300 seems more than enough, right?

Old 09-21-2017, 12:57 PM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
A friend of mine lived in a 1bd in Pilsen right off the Damen stop for $800. $1300 seems more than enough, right?
Yep, Wicker Park is a very desirable area of Chicago.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:17 PM

93,263 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you can't find anything in Rochester, Buffalo has companies such as Geico, National General Insurance and Travelers in the area. It would offer similar things as Rochester(a hour away, give or take) in terms of what I mentioned, but you have access to Canadian cities such as Hamilton and Toronto(has a big Caribbean festival in Caribana) within a short drive as well. It has an even lower overall cost of living as well.

There's this program at the University of Buffalo: http://emilyglennsmith.wixsite.com/ubaslprogram

https://catalog.buffalo.edu/courses/..._language.html

In terms of neighborhoods, Allentown, Elmwood Village, North Buffalo and maybe even in the Parkside/Vernon Triangle/Central Park/Canisius College/Hamlin Park area around Main Street/the metro rail line may work. In terms of suburbs, perhaps parts of Amherst, Cheektowaga and even the Kenmore/Tonawanda area area some that come to mind.
Some more info: 93.7 WBLK
Power 96.5 WUFO - A Blend of R&B and Your Favorite Throwbacks
About AM 1400 | AM 1400 Solid Gold Soul

https://www.michiganstreetbuffalo.org/
African American Heritage in Buffalo, NY | Visit Buffalo Niagara
Challenger Community News

Home - Artvoice

Buffalo NY Dining, Events, Arts, Style, Shopping, Home, Design - Buffalo Spree

https://stepoutbuffalo.com/

Juneteenth of Buffalo 2016 - Welcome!
Puerto Rican and Hispanic Day Parade of WNY

JazzBuffalo

https://www.caribanatoronto.com/

Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM

461 posts, read 546,057 times
If you're not into the outdoors, don't move to Colorado. It's extremely expensive out here, and while winter is nothing to those of us who've been through worse, its long. The mornings and nights are already getting cold and that'll be true until June. I'm also not into outdoors activities, and there's not much else to do out here. Denver is a snore of a city. Atlanta has much more to offer and is within driving distance of a lot more.

JB

Old 09-22-2017, 04:27 PM

Thanks a bunch for sending this information. I'm still looking into NY.

I think my top right now is Chicago, IL. I have family there which is nice. There is a college there that offers an interpreting degree but I'll have to look more into that. It's a bit expensive right in Chicago so I'm looking for some cities close to Chicago that might be a bit cheaper but maybe no more than a 30min drive from downtown Chicago.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
If you're not into the outdoors, don't move to Colorado. It's extremely expensive out here, and while winter is nothing to those of us who've been through worse, its long. The mornings and nights are already getting cold and that'll be true until June. I'm also not into outdoors activities, and there's not much else to do out here. Denver is a snore of a city. Atlanta has much more to offer and is within driving distance of a lot more.

JB
I agree about Colorado. I'm sure it's nice to visit but it's not a place for me to live. Yeah ATL has so much to offer and it's not crazy expensive so it's hard to find a city that matches.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean5 View Post
Thanks a bunch for sending this information. I'm still looking into NY.

I think my top right now is Chicago, IL. I have family there which is nice. There is a college there that offers an interpreting degree but I'll have to look more into that. It's a bit expensive right in Chicago so I'm looking for some cities close to Chicago that might be a bit cheaper but maybe no more than a 30min drive from downtown Chicago.
I would go with the city. When you live in the suburbs, you live and move around the suburbs more than you think. It's definitely affordable with your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.