Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Here was study conducted by BET (Black Entertainment Television, for those who dont watch the station) on the best cities in America for African-American families. The study is based off of stats such as blacks living in middle-class suburbs as opposed to poverty, job oppurtunities, black crimes, low aids infection and pregnancy rate, and happiness among African-Americans living in that city. Here's the list :

1. Columbus, Ohio
2. Houston
3. Boston
4. Charlotte
5. Indianapolis
6. Los Angeles
7. Washington, D.C.
8. Oakland
9. Philadelphia
10. Nashville/Jacksonville, Fla.
11. Dallas
12. Detroit
13. New Orleans
14. Memphis
15. Cleveland
16. New York
17. Atlanta
18. Chicago/Milwaukee
19. Baltimore
20. St. Louis, Mo.

BET Networks PR Website - News Releases (http://bet.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=304 - broken link)

Some of the list I find kinda questionable. Like Atlanta and DC being behind LA?!?! Wow, anyways take it for what its worth
This is a study done to show the best place for African American FAMILIES, which explains why St. Louis, Baltimore, NYC, Cleveland, Memphis, Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, and Philly are all below LA. These cities have high density and a lot of crime, especially when factoring in per square mile crime rates. You don't want your kids walking home from school and witnessing a murder or a robbery. A lot of black people want to raise their family in a quiet suburban neighborhood in places like LA because of safety and amounts of African Americans living in the suburbs.

The list is actually more accurate looking than most lists on here are, in my opinion.

Last edited by Futcha; 03-24-2008 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 03:10 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
This is a study done to show the best place for African American FAMILIES, which explains why St. Louis, Baltimore, NYC, Cleveland, Memphis, Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, and Philly are all below LA. These cities have high density and a lot of crime, especially when factoring in per square mile crime rates. You don't want your kids walking home from school and witnessing a murder or a robbery. A lot of black people want to raise their family in a quiet suburban neighborhood in places like LA because of safety and amounts of African Americans living in the suburbs.

The list is actually more accurate looking than most lists on here are, in my opinion.
You know you are right. At first I looked atthat list and wondered with Los Angeles #6, but as I look at it more and consider what you said, I can see that you have a very strong point. I lived in Southern Ca. for years, and moved my kids OUT OF INGLEHOOD to Redlands for a much better environment. Although these areas did not have a host of black families, the families there and in Riverside were very content and everyone got along. I am in Las Vegas now (hate it) but that's another post. This list to ME is more accurate than the BLACK ENTERPRISE list which I believe is just to hype of certain areas and gain advertisers.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 13,742 times
Sistahoneychile,
you heard right! i've been in atlanta since 1990 and have YET to find an eligible man. i guess i could blame it on my profession... education is NOT the arena to meet single men; i work around children and women ALL DAY.
Maybe I should change careers and move to Houston!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:31 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You're going to have to come east if you want more black people. Chicago, NYC, or Philly have endless amounts African American cultural offerings. You can't beat those 3 when it comes to big cities.
As far as African American cultural offerings? YES YOU CAN. Washington DC, Atlanta are two that I think can beat those three. All, including Houston, are great city that offers huge amounts of African American culture.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:19 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,761 times
I heard there is a large population in Mogadishu.

...... but i'd agree with most people DC, Atlanta ... probably the 2 best. Someone said Minneapolis? I love that city, but I think it has 10 black people total.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 AM

382 posts, read 1,053,763 times
Harlem is still online

Brooklyn too?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
atlanta, washington, columbus, indianapolis, houston, detroit, chicago, and to an extent, philly and oakland.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Here is some interesting stats:

Cities over 100,000 with a large percentage of African-Americans:
List of U.S. cities with large African American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Metro Areas with large African-American population:
List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-20-2008, 12:30 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,053 times
BAW: Washington D.C. and Atlanta the Two Best Cities for Blacks, According to Black Enterprise (http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/bestblackcities509 - broken link)

Old 08-20-2008, 02:07 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Atlanta...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.