Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 04:50 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times

Advertisements

It was and is an effort by Democrats, originally led by Obama, to lessen the importance of other races besides African Americans. Politicians and the media act like there are no other ethnicities outside of whites and blacks. There is a large contingent of us that are being ignored because we aren't part of the political agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 AM

375 posts, read 332,322 times
Most (or at least many) Hispanics are basically White. There are many who are mixed however. Hispanic is not a race, just like "American" is not a race. You can be black and be a hispanic, white and be a hispanic. You can even be asian and be a hispanic (plenty of asian Hispanics in Peru and Brazil).

Why do we even have a separate column for hispanics in the first place? Is the fact their mother tongue spanish really that important for census to track?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:25 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
It was and is an effort by Democrats, originally led by Obama, to lessen the importance of other races besides African Americans. Politicians and the media act like there are no other ethnicities outside of whites and blacks. There is a large contingent of us that are being ignored because we aren't part of the political agenda.
Can I see your source on that?

This should be good.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:13 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Can I see your source on that?

This should be good.
It's kinda obvious to those of us who would check the Other box.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Growing up in the Bronx, I knew a lot of Puerto Ricans. They really come in two flavors, one that looks more or less like any Mediterranean white, and another that is more mixed race. I would say the ratio is about 1:3 or even closer to 1:2.

Interestingly (or perhaps not) the white, Mediterranean looking Ricans tended to have better economic success and mobility.

They were still 100% PR in traditions and culture, but they didn't play up the Nuyorican street persona. That and looking Spanish (white) probably helps.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:50 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Growing up in the Bronx, I knew a lot of Puerto Ricans. They really come in two flavors, one that looks more or less like any Mediterranean white, and another that is more mixed race. I would say the ratio is about 1:3 or even closer to 1:2.

Interestingly (or perhaps not) the white, Mediterranean looking Ricans tended to have better economic success and mobility.

They were still 100% PR in traditions and culture, but they didn't play up the Nuyorican street persona. That and looking Spanish (white) probably helps.
really? I find no difference in how PRs act based on how white they are, the whitest looking one I know acted pretty "Nuyorican".

Old 11-24-2017, 02:59 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
haha. The census should just stop grouping people based on race/ethnicity. It is meaningless. I honestly don't know what it can potentially achieve. The white people don't share one common culture. The black Americans and the black immigrants from Africa don't share anything in common except skin color. Why does the government need to know how many black people it has?

People are bound together by economic status. A rich black American is closer to a rich white American than to a poor black American.

People are brainwashed into thinking it is race that makes people similar, as if black people think in a similar way and Latinos would agree on most issues. No, people with similar economic status have common interest, not with those who have the same skin color.
You created a bunch of straw mans and mix stuff up

No, it call ethnicity, people of the world have different ethnicity, And if people tradition follow their parents they have different religious, cuisines, celebrate different holidays, speak different langues and etc. Also people want to know about there ancestors due to fact they wouldn't be here with out them.

Also just because people have some degree of shared culture doesn't mean they think the same. Nor are people of their ethnicity is the only people they have something in common with.

The Error with what your saying, if you ignore ethnicity it creates a don't ask, don't tell affected. So rather than leaning about and respecting different cultures, that would be ignoring different cultures and Judging other cultures base your on own culture. Thus you only become tolerable of people of different shades if they reflecting your culture, means this person is trying to hide that they still think there culture is Superior to others. Other wise there still prejudice.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:00 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
It's kinda obvious to those of us who would check the Other box.
Or reality

Old 11-25-2017, 09:31 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times
Quote:
This is a highly delusional statement. First, Afro-American is a specific and unique ethnic group that Obama is not even apart of. Obama is half Kenyan and Anglo-American. Second, Obama did everything in his power to distance himself from non-immigramt blacks, because he knew people would instantly label him as the "black" President and therefore ruin him politically. Third, I hate political labels like black, minority, and people of color, because that lumps Afro-Americans in with a bunch of people that don't share our interest and many times have just as much racial prejudice against us as whites.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:51 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm Cuban and most of us in the states, especially the ones who have been here longer, are pretty damn white. I don't have any African features but why would I, its a small percentage of my DNA. I do have cousins with much clearer African features, but most of my relatives, especially older ones, are overwhelmingly European in DNA and phenotype. Puerto Ricans its more half-and-half in my experience, but I agree about Dominicans. I'm sure in the DR's case, bordering Haiti has something to do with it.
I don't go strictly by skin complexion. Many Hispanics think if they are tan or have a lighter complexion they are considered white. This is very common in Florida, but I can tell if a person has African ancestor by things like hair texture, facial structure, body shape, etc. Just look at DNA results for Caribbean Hispanics on YouTube and you will see people that are "white" Hispanics with 25% West African ancestry. I personally think culture is way more important than pseudo-scientific racial categories, but race, "whiteness" and "blackness" are viewed very different in America compared to Latin American. For example, my mother, father, and I would be considered different races in Brazil, because we have 3 totally different complexions, but in America we are just black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.