Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:04 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times

Advertisements

The Queen City, Charlotte NC.

It's an up and coming mid sized city with charm and lots to offer. Check it out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 08:15 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sacramento CA?
Definitely pricier than most cities in the south.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:03 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I would say that too but a lot of people from up north looking for a liberal town still find places like Asheville too conservative or they don’t like the overwhelmingly conservative culture of everything around thier liberal island. There are multiple threads out there that demonstrate this problem for those looking for a “warm liberal city in the south” or something similar. Bottom line is North Carolina is still a conservative southern state. The same goes for Tennessee, Georgia or South Carolina if one suggest places like Nashville, Atlanta or Greenville.

A liberal seeking warm weather would likely be happiest on the West Coast or possibly parts of Florida. High COL is often the price of living in a liberal community. Really the taxes necessary to pay for liberal programs and services automatically make those areas more expensive and many liberals also want to congregate in the same areas driving up housing cost. If you want warm, hip and liberal then you likely have to pay for it.
I completely agree. I'm Libertarian and find it interesting when people want a "diverse" place, but only areas where people think like they do (ie Liberal). You see it here on C-D daily. I'm a Conservative Libertarian living in the most Democratic voting state in the nation right now (MA) and I have no problem with that. Our permanent home is in the Charlotte area, which is pretty politically diverse. We really love Charlotte. I, and most people like me, have no problem with diversity in the true sense of the word. As long as you're not a jerk, I don't care what you believe. My wife and I can find our sphere pretty much anywhere (with the exception of the Bay Area). And, as you said, many complain about how expensive the areas they left are, move to a less expensive area, then vote in the same policies that they complained about and ran from in their previous city. That's logic I just don't get. In doing this, you're ruining one of the aspects of that areas quality of life for yourself and for natives who have always lived there. So, if you want warm, liberal, very little diversity of thought, CA and HI might be the place for someone like that. Just be ready to pay out of the nose for it and don't complain later.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 AM

655 posts, read 2,182,743 times
New Orleans could be a good fit, but just be aware that COL is rising while wages remain pretty much depressed. Though, you could live in the surrounding suburbs and be fine, if that's what you wanted.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sacramento CA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Definitely pricier than most cities in the south.
Similar COL as Austin.

Maybe try one of the suburbs like Woodland, CA which may be less expensive but a bit more conservative. If all else fails, SF is a 2 hour drive away.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami

Basically somewhere in the south.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:39 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,276 times
Aren't most cities pretty liberal? Or do you mean blue states? Also what do you consider inexpensive. Austin was suggested here a few times but I'm not sure the hip and desired places are really all that inexpensive. Will you be working, renting.....what's the budget etc etc.....

Old 01-05-2018, 10:42 PM

405 posts, read 475,926 times
Typical liberal. Screaming for diversity and acceptance.. EXCEPT for those with different views than them.

Anyway, I second Gainesville FL or maybe Columbia SC

Old 01-06-2018, 04:15 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Atlanta or Houston are good choices.

Austin and Dallas are getting to be pricey.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:32 PM

382 posts, read 488,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Typical liberal. Screaming for diversity and acceptance.. EXCEPT for those with different views than them.

Anyway, I second Gainesville FL or maybe Columbia SC
I don't see conservatives falling over each other to move to San Francisco, or even Austin. But to answer the question, I agree that many cities across the South and Southwest would fit the bill. Plenty of areas of Phoenix and Tempe that would be pretty good and cheaper than Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.