Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 2,040 times

Advertisements

I live in Irvine, California and most of my family lives out in the Phoenix metro in Arizona. My family just finished visiting over the holidays and they always say the same comments every year,

“omg you’re so lucky, i wish i could live by the beach”
“The weather here is sooo perfect”
“The palms trees here are much more taller and lush than the premature short palms in Arizona”
“Let’s drive to LA tonight since it’s right around the corner”

All these snarky side comments made me confused because i don’t exactly live close to the beach nor LA but then i put it into perspective and realized they have to drive 6 hours to get here plus the traffic with SoCal. I don’t ever bother visiting them in Phoenix because of how hot i hear it gets but California must be like a whole different country to my family.

Only once have i been to Arizona for the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff but i entered from the Las Vegas Nevada side by the 15 rather than driving east on the 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 11:44 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
I live in the Bay Area, family is in the Midwest (Louisville, KY). They come to visit about once a year (we go home twice a year) and are jealous of the weather, that’s about it, and I totally agree with them.

The weather is great, everything else (to me personally) and to them kinda sucks. Traffic, COL, overcrowded, extreme left politics, the list goes on & on.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:53 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
All the time.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:02 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Every place is what you make of it. If people are constantly saying they're jealous of where you live, it wouldn't seem that they're making the best of where they live.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:11 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Only my family in the DR, but that’s just because I live in the US.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Every place is what you make of it. If people are constantly saying they're jealous of where you live, it wouldn't seem that they're making the best of where they live.
I disagree (to a certain extent).

People are “set” to always wonder about the “what ifs” and wonder about other places, things, etc... Someone can be doing very well one place, but always wonder and think about another. I’m an example of this. I am doing VERY well in the Bay Area, but simply don’t like the are (it’s not for everyone) so I always think about other areas where I think I’d be happier.

I do agree with you, that there is always the ability to make the best of bad situation sort of speak.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:28 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I disagree (to a certain extent).

People are “set” to always wonder about the “what ifs” and wonder about other places, things, etc... Someone can be doing very well one place, but always wonder and think about another. I’m an example of this. I am doing VERY well in the Bay Area, but simply don’t like the are (it’s not for everyone) so I always think about other areas where I think I’d be happier.

I do agree with you, that there is always the ability to make the best of bad situation sort of speak.
Fair enough, and good points. In my experience, most of the people I've met who say "oh I'm jealous that you live X, Y, Z [I've lived a number of places at this point]" haven't taken advantage of where they do live. I do agree that people frequently have a "grass is greener" mentality.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Fair enough, and good points. In my experience, most of the people I've met who say "oh I'm jealous that you live X, Y, Z [I've lived a number of places at this point]" haven't taken advantage of where they do live. I do agree that people frequently have a "grass is greener" mentality.
Agree 100%, everywhere I venture, there is always some positives to take away.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Not really except for maybe my sister. She is an artist and lives in a place that doesn't have much of an art scene and what it has is possibly less than 15 or 20 years ago. Other than that - not really. A lot of my family already lives in big metro areas (LA, NYC, Seattle, DC). My parents are from the LA and NYC areas, but choose to live in a metro area of around 250K people in the midwest even though they could afford to live anywhere in the country. They like where they are, for the most part.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:42 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Brimstone View Post
I live in Irvine, California and most of my family lives out in the Phoenix metro in Arizona. My family just finished visiting over the holidays and they always say the same comments every year,

“omg you’re so lucky, i wish i could live by the beach”
“The weather here is sooo perfect”
“The palms trees here are much more taller and lush than the premature short palms in Arizona”
“Let’s drive to LA tonight since it’s right around the corner”

All these snarky side comments made me confused because i don’t exactly live close to the beach nor LA but then i put it into perspective and realized they have to drive 6 hours to get here plus the traffic with SoCal. I don’t ever bother visiting them in Phoenix because of how hot i hear it gets but California must be like a whole different country to my family.

Only once have i been to Arizona for the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff but i entered from the Las Vegas Nevada side by the 15 rather than driving east on the 10.
I don't see how they're being snarky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.