Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 715 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm new here, so forgive me if this is the wrong place for this thread
I'm looking to move away from Northwest Florida, but I'm not well traveled so I really don't have a specific place in mind. I've done some online research, but there's just so many option.
What I'm looking for:
- MUST be a good location to keep horses. I have 3 horses myself and am very involved in the equestrian community. Some of these requirements include: good pasture (good grass land), good vets somewhat nearby, riding spaces (public equestrian facilities, trails, parks that allow riding), affordable hay for wintertime, and a general equestrian community.
- I'm looking to move somewhere colder/with less humidity than NW Florida. One of my horses has Anhidrosis, which means he cannot sweat. Winters here in NW Florida are just fine for him, but summertime is very hard. The humidity makes it particularly difficult. Believe it or not, this move is mainly for him, so this point is very important. He has a hard time when the temperature gets above 85, along with the humidity. Of course, it cannot be too dry of a location, because then the grass wouldn't do well. We must have decent pasture for them. Also, I have never stepped foot in snow in my life. If I could avoid deep snow, that would be a plus, however I know I will probably need to live somewhere where it snows part of the year if I'm to get away from the extreme heat/humidity.
- decent affordability. Pretty self explanatory.
- availability of professional jobs, as well as physical labor jobs (this is a request by my boyfriend. He's been with a Tree Service company for several years. He's one of those who prefer physical labor type jobs. He would kill for a job in welding, but there have been none available were we live).
- a good, affordable college would be great.
- decent/good "safeness" from other people.
- would prefer to live somewhere my home won't be picked up by a tornado but I could learn to live with it. Hurricanes I'm all good with. Tornadoes scare the daylights out of me. Earthquakes, too, so that crosses California off the list lol. ever since watching San Andreas... hahah.

I THINK that's all. Lol. If such a place exists, right?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Check out Humboldt County CA around the towns of Arcata and Eureka. The temperatures are consistently around 60 degrees for the high along the coast with lows near 40 and a few miles inland top out around 75 with lows in the 50s. Snow is very rare and much less humid than Florida. It's very lush thanks to the maritime climate making grass consistently green. The area has a low unemployment rate (3.9%) so work shouldn't be too challenging. Humboldt State University is in Arcata and is quite affordable with residency rates of $7500 per year. Housing is surprisingly inexpensive with a number of options under $800 per month.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...72_rect/11_zm/
About Humboldt State University | Humboldt State University
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fresh...16670908393273

Old 01-24-2018, 09:51 PM

77 posts, read 90,069 times
Interested to see if you came up with anywhere?

Old 01-25-2018, 01:10 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileybme0506 View Post
Hello! I'm new here, so forgive me if this is the wrong place for this thread
I'm looking to move away from Northwest Florida, but I'm not well traveled so I really don't have a specific place in mind. I've done some online research, but there's just so many option.
What I'm looking for:
- MUST be a good location to keep horses. I have 3 horses myself and am very involved in the equestrian community. Some of these requirements include: good pasture (good grass land), good vets somewhat nearby, riding spaces (public equestrian facilities, trails, parks that allow riding), affordable hay for wintertime, and a general equestrian community.
- I'm looking to move somewhere colder/with less humidity than NW Florida. One of my horses has Anhidrosis, which means he cannot sweat. Winters here in NW Florida are just fine for him, but summertime is very hard. The humidity makes it particularly difficult. Believe it or not, this move is mainly for him, so this point is very important. He has a hard time when the temperature gets above 85, along with the humidity. Of course, it cannot be too dry of a location, because then the grass wouldn't do well. We must have decent pasture for them. Also, I have never stepped foot in snow in my life. If I could avoid deep snow, that would be a plus, however I know I will probably need to live somewhere where it snows part of the year if I'm to get away from the extreme heat/humidity.
- decent affordability. Pretty self explanatory.
- availability of professional jobs, as well as physical labor jobs (this is a request by my boyfriend. He's been with a Tree Service company for several years. He's one of those who prefer physical labor type jobs. He would kill for a job in welding, but there have been none available were we live).
- a good, affordable college would be great.
- decent/good "safeness" from other people.
- would prefer to live somewhere my home won't be picked up by a tornado but I could learn to live with it. Hurricanes I'm all good with. Tornadoes scare the daylights out of me. Earthquakes, too, so that crosses California off the list lol. ever since watching San Andreas... hahah.

I THINK that's all. Lol. If such a place exists, right?

Thanks in advance

Why doncha look into somewhere in western North Carolina? It can get hot but not too bad because of elevation. It snows a few times a year, a few inches for a few days is all. More relief from humidity than most places in the Southeast as well.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:56 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
I'd say look in western NC/VA and eastern TN. This region has a wonderful 4-season climate without extremes, low cost of living, and beautiful rural areas not far from nice cities and towns.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:37 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,955,655 times
I don't recommend that California selection though due to the OP's fear of earthquakes, and of course is quite pricey for what you get.

I'd recommend Kentucky, since of course that's the heart of horse country, and has a nicely balanced four-season climate. Just make a drive about 600 miles up I-65 and you'll be fine. The Bluegrass part of the state (in an around Lexington) is what I recommend, as there are a number of welding firms scattered around the area, and has reasonable cost of living. Tornadoes occasionally happen, but not quite as often as further west and south. TN, VA, and NC are my runner-ups, but are noticeably more humid in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.