Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:20 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting post that suggests a single data point for quality of life/place can be tied to the percentage of people who work from home. The idea being that when you can live anywhere you're more likely to choose a place with a high quality of life.

What do you think?

Here's the post if you're interested: Finally, a Single Data Point for Measuring Your City

The Top 10 Metros:

1. Austin-Round Rock
2. Boise
3. San Diego-Carlsbad
4. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro
5. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood
6. Raleigh
7. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward
8. Cape Coral-Fort Myers
9. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale
10. Colorado Springs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:29 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Wow, that's um..... pretty loaded.

The top 10 list just looks like a random hodge podge with a western bias, and doesn't include one Northeastern city . The flood gates have opened.

Cary on........

Old 01-29-2016, 08:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
I don't think I agree with that data point.

I work from home, but I have to live in Denver. I wouldn't necessarily choose to live here.

Tell the source sorry for screwing up their data.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:47 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Well I agree with the data point. People who work from home are looking for good rental/housing prices, good internet, cultural activities, etc. A lot of that goes with what your average person is looking for.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
I think it's more complex than that. Working from home can shape some items. Commute can eat up your time, which can diminish quality of life.

Also some cities make socializing easier in this arrangement, but may not increase the quality of life over those with broader work relationships

Finally, I know a lot of people here in Phoenix that work from home. Most are natives. They live here because they've always lived here, like it, have family... The normal ties that bind. They just work in sectors that are prevalent out here where you don't need a physical office - claims adjusters, education counselors, processing study information, etc

Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
It's a pretty compelling data point, but obviously no single piece of data can paint complete picture. Also, when I read the breakdown it says:
Quote:
4.3% of employed people work primarily from home.
To me that means his category includes people who enjoy the benefits of working from home most of the time but are probably still tied to their general location for work to some degree.

But I do like the idea though!

Old 01-30-2016, 04:54 PM

783 posts, read 695,026 times
I like this. Simple.

Some people will complain that it doesn't have enough data. Well saying which place is "best" is always subjective. Besides, the higher ranking cities are nice, while the lower ones are not. It does seem to be reasonable.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:26 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Interesting topic.

I agree that it seems logical to look at the working from home rate as an indicator of QOL, but there are definitely several other factors here, such as the fact that people who work from home are still often required to appear in-person on occasion to a local company office, thus limiting the extent to which someone could theoretically locate anywhere.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the higher ranking metro areas tend to have heavier tech-based employment, which is of course the leading industry/field of working from home. Also, even without a proximity requirement, I'm sure there is an inherent bias for people to live in the regions where their companies are based for networking or fallback job market purposes.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:12 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
If you look at the full list, which isn't adjusted for being in the top 100 metro areas, things get more interesting.

It is skewed towards college towns, military towns, and retirement destinations. And the bottom of the list is a who's-who of poor southern and midwestern cities.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Unless a person is a total recluse, the type of people in a chosen area is a major QOL factor. Red State/Blue State, small city/big city, these things matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.