Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did moving to a better climate improve your quality of life and increase your level of happiness?
Yes, quality of life vastly improved! 37 59.68%
Yes, glad I moved, qualify of life moderately improved 11 17.74%
Neutral - moving did not make a difference in my happiness 10 16.13%
Moving to a better climate had a negative impact on my quality of life 4 6.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 06:55 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times

Advertisements

The SAD thing must be faulty brain wiring. I have no problem with the weather in Chicago, enjoy Winter and look forward to all 4 seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 AM

533 posts, read 642,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
The SAD thing must be faulty brain wiring. I have no problem with the weather in Chicago, enjoy Winter and look forward to all 4 seasons.
Not a faulty brain wiring.. Just wired differently and thanks to that, our population is spread out.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:15 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Not a faulty brain wiring.. Just wired differently and thanks to that, our population is spread out.
Good point, maybe they're wired differently on purpose.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:00 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Happiness is a changeable thing, like the weather. Lol. But, I think warmer weather is more "comfortable" to live with than cold, freezing cold weather. You can get carried away w/ it, too. Take Phoenix, AZ, not comfortable for 4-5 months/year. Take Florida, 3 months of extreme humidity. I'd still rather a hot and/or humid day than a really cold one. More sun the better, too. My husband and I can't take weather below 50 anymore--our bodies say no.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:56 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker111 View Post
It's interesting to hear from both sides - some have migrated to colder weather, some have moved to warmer. Everyone has their preferences and if you're not in the right place, it can wear on you over time.

I'd really like to hear from people that moved with climate as the biggest motivator...did you sacrifice anything (jobs, proximity to family, friends, etc.) to make the move and if so, was it worth it for the improvement in your quality of life? what did you give up to be in a place that fits your weather preferences/outdoor hobbies?
I was living in Tennessee due to job circumstances and was especially depressed in summer though it was much of the year. "Reverse SAD" does not exist in the DSM-V but it probably should. I am originally from a very cloudy climate with a great deal of rain and SNOW. And 4 seasons

It just got to the point where I was so miserable it was time to do something about it so I started to search for jobs in areas that fit my needs (Syracuse, Erie, Cleveland, etc.) I got a couple of different offers but liked the one in Erie the best. The company in TN counter-offered to try and get me to stay --$15K more a year. The starting salary in Erie was $10K less a year than what I was currently making. So I gave up $25K to move to a MUCH better climate.

It was completely worth it and I am sorry that I didn't do it sooner. I was able to come off the anti-depressants and was again interested in hobbies, going out, being active, and acting like a human being again

I turned down a transfer with my current company to their Mississippi plant...um, yah, no thank you.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:26 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
My cure is turning the clocks ahead in the spring, March 11 will be my favorite holiday, having the sun set an hour later makes me a whole new person, not having to drive home from work in the dark and being able to go outside, take the dogs for a walk etc.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:22 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
My cure is turning the clocks ahead in the spring, March 11 will be my favorite holiday, having the sun set an hour later makes me a whole new person, not having to drive home from work in the dark and being able to go outside, take the dogs for a walk etc.
I love fall and winter but the whole "fall back" in November thing bites. I hate losing an hour of sleep.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I am so ready for Spring - my very favorite season in NE Texas! Today is tantalizing me because the temps are supposed to be in the mid 50s, with more sunshine sunshine sunshine, but I know better than to try to plant anything because it's going to freeze again before spring. But hope springs eternal!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:11 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
I can't answer the poll because your idea of a better climate and mine are clearly different. I wouldn't want to skew your results.

Happily living in the Upper Midwest.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:46 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I was living in Tennessee due to job circumstances and was especially depressed in summer though it was much of the year. "Reverse SAD" does not exist in the DSM-V but it probably should. I am originally from a very cloudy climate with a great deal of rain and SNOW. And 4 seasons

It just got to the point where I was so miserable it was time to do something about it so I started to search for jobs in areas that fit my needs (Syracuse, Erie, Cleveland, etc.) I got a couple of different offers but liked the one in Erie the best. The company in TN counter-offered to try and get me to stay --$15K more a year. The starting salary in Erie was $10K less a year than what I was currently making. So I gave up $25K to move to a MUCH better climate.

It was completely worth it and I am sorry that I didn't do it sooner. I was able to come off the anti-depressants and was again interested in hobbies, going out, being active, and acting like a human being again

I turned down a transfer with my current company to their Mississippi plant...um, yah, no thank you.
You're NOT alone about this if you think you are.

The reactions I often got when I expressed how much I despise warm weather(I can barely function in temps above 75f) are frequently rude or pretentiously irritating. It got to the point where it was pretty pointless to say anything since so many hate cold weather.

Fall and winter are the times when I feel the physically the best. Spring is mostly okay. Summer is a daymare/nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.