Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2018, 01:35 PM

36 posts, read 35,608 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone,

I will be pursuing my masters degree next year and will upon completion be looking for a nice city to launch my career and live in for a while. I was wondering which cities would be the best for me? I grew up in Seattle, but given that rent just keeps on increasing per month and homelessness has been a serious problem for a couple of years now, I would like to look for alternatives. I have recently heard a lot of good things about the midwest. My criteria/things to keep in mind when choosing a city are the following:

-Job Market: I guess my first thing is that I would like to earn a little money so that I can pay off my student debt. I'll probably have a lot of debt after completing my masters, so I'd preferably like to go somewhere where I can get at least get a decent paying job so that I can start paying off my student loans. I would most likely be looking for jobs in technology, entertainment, media, and other creative outlets.

-Dating: As a single 22 year old gay male, I would ideally be looking for a city where people are tolerant and the dating scene is good. I am a little bit more on the neutral side (not too masculine or feminine), but I do prefer more masculine men. Ideally, I'd like to find a partner for the long term.

-Things to do: While I greatly enjoy staying inside sometimes, I also need to go out and about and explore. A new city should have a lot to do. I especially like nature, sports, music, going out to bars, good food, bookstores, and easy accessibility.

-People: As someone who identifies as an ambivert, Americans have very often struck me as unusually extroverted (I am an American but I grew up half of my life in Europe). Ideally, I would be looking for a place where people can bring me a little out of my shell but still respect my need for alone time. Most of all, I'd really like a place where people enjoy others who are different and are not all too judgmental. So I guess people who are welcoming, but not dramatically so. Also, I dislike people who are snobby.

-Rent: I don't know what's more affordable, but given my student loan debt I will probably be renting for the time being. My rent limit is about $2,000 I guess, depending on the job I get after my masters.

I think that's all for now. So what do you guys think? Which city fits my criteria the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 02:53 PM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Given your rental budget, desire for a well-paying job market with plenty of opportunity, desire for an active LGBT community with dating potential in your age group, a place that strikes the personality characteristics generally speaking and offers plenty to do I think Boston hits the nail on the head. People scream that it's expensive, but definitely well within your housing budget with plenty of desirable options at $1800-$1900 a month within the LGBT-dense South Boston neighborhoods, and as a city offers some of the highest salaries in the US. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...77_rect/15_zm/

Old 05-05-2018, 05:24 PM

824 posts, read 704,809 times
try Denver?
-Denver will do most most every thing you need except the rents are high here, at least for what you get. Consider living just outside city. Room mate? You for sure could get something in your budget tho.
-Denver LGBTQ crowd has assimilated in to the population. No one here cares if your gay. The old gay bro is Cap Hill. Bad side of this is there are few gay bars. Again walking down your street holding hands with your wife or husband is no big thing.
-Summer or winter you have the option to head into the mountains. Good local theater and functional restaurants. Employment is booming.
-there is some lite rail and average bus service. Freeways are gid lock.

best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.