Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 09:40 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I wonder what is causing Indiana to stand out so much among Midwest states. One of their important industries is RV manufacturing, which has done much better in recent years. Perhaps the automotive sector is another source of gains, as Michigan is also doing well for the region.
That, and Indianapolis is also creating quite a bit of high paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 11:43 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
I don't see much of a theme either.

I guess one of the surprises of the 2016 elections were Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania - states that went Democrat for election cycles that swung to Trump. All of them had income growth - Michigan having almost the same income growth as California. Something I'd never expect.

States heavily reliant on energy like Texas, Alaska, Oklahoma and North Dakota were clobbered.
If you look at a county based map, NY would have swung red in 2016 without NYC attached too. What a crazy election it was.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:49 AM

122 posts, read 91,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
If you look at a county based map, NY would have swung red in 2016 without NYC attached too. What a crazy election it was.
Well, I think a county by county map of NYS would look similar. Upstate was always republican-territory. In this link(http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/) is a county by county map for the results in 2008 - most of western NYS is red despite Obama sweeping the results elsewhere.

But Pennsylvania was a surprise. I guess Philadelphia was not enough of a counterbalance.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:08 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Well, I think a county by county map of NYS would look similar. Upstate was always republican-territory. In this link(Election maps) is a county by county map for the results in 2008 - most of western NYS is red despite Obama sweeping the results elsewhere.

But Pennsylvania was a surprise. I guess Philadelphia was not enough of a counterbalance.
All indications are that PA will not make the mistake again.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:17 PM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
All indications are that PA will not make the mistake again.
There are many indicators that could indicate either scenario but certainly Barletta winning the Republican senatorial primary this week doesn't indicate any buyer's remorse on the Republican side.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
There are many indicators that could indicate either scenario but certainly Barletta winning the Republican senatorial primary this week doesn't indicate any buyer's remorse on the Republican side.
Lamb defeating the Trump clone in a +20 republican district is quite ominous

Old 05-18-2018, 12:32 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Well, I think a county by county map of NYS would look similar. Upstate was always republican-territory. In this link(Election maps) is a county by county map for the results in 2008 - most of western NYS is red despite Obama sweeping the results elsewhere.

That's true, but I think the state as a whole was leaning further right than normal for Trump. I have the map saved somewhere.

Despite upstate's consistent purple nature, most people still assume this state is Liberal from end to end.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:15 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
DC is the highest at 4.5. The government is always doing well.
This is false, D.C.'s rise is based on development and population growth. D.C. has added over 100,000 new residents since 2010 and most of them have been educated, young millennial's in private sector jobs. Notice Virginia and Maryland, where almost all the Federal Government workers live, didn't see the same increase. D.C.'s population just past 700,000 people in January with a population density of 11,475 people per square mile. As the city continues to grow toward 1,000,000 people by 2040 and gets more wealthy, the personal income and GDP of the city will continue to rise.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:19 PM

122 posts, read 91,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is false, D.C.'s rise is based on development and population growth. D.C. has added over 100,000 new residents since 2010 and most of them have been educated, young millennial's in private sector jobs. Notice Virginia and Maryland, where almost all the Federal Government workers live, didn't see the same increase. D.C.'s population just past 700,000 people in January with a population density of 11,475 people per square mile. As the city continues to grow toward 1,000,000 people by 2040 and gets more wealthy, the personal income and GDP of the city will continue to rise.
It's hard to separate out government money out of DC's private sector. A lot of private industry is in DC due to contracts with the government.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:19 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Most of the privates sector jobs in DC are with companies who do work for the government or lobby the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.