Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

Whether you think New York metro or the bay area are worth the expense, I think we all understand why they are so expensive. What metro area do you think is expensive in a way that can’t be justified?

For me it’s Charlotte. There is nothing wrong with the city of Charlotte, but it’s not on the water, it’s not particularly close to other cities. It’s not beautiful and it doesn’t have superior urbanity or infrastructure, yet it’s housing costs rival Chicago’s. My best friend and little sister both live there. He’s the kind of guy who could be happy and just about any city. She hates it, but her fiancé is a big shot at Bank of America, so they stay. Both live in the city proper. Neither can walk to anything, both are zoned for bad schools. Both live in nice, but ultimately unimpressive $500k houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 12:34 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Boston - Great city, but people forget its right up there with New York and San Fran, and it offers a lot less IMO.

Seattle and now Portland - Nice cities, but nothing special for the COL.

DC - I can understand why DC would be expensive, but the inflated COL over the last decade is ridiculous.

Cities like Charlotte, Atlanta and Dallas are getting pricier, but I wouldn't classify them as expensive. But I do agree with your points about Charlotte, nothing special about it.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Boston - Great city, but people forget its right up there with New York and San Fran, and it offers a lot less IMO.

Seattle and now Portland - Nice cities, but nothing special for the COL.

DC - I can understand why DC would be expensive, but the inflated COL over the last decade is ridiculous.

Cities like Charlotte, Atlanta and Dallas are getting pricier, but I wouldn't classify them as expensive. But I do agree with your points about Charlotte, nothing special about it.
I moved to Boston from Chicago, and I couldn’t get past how much less it offered and how much more it costs, but I kind of understand it. Boston is a fringe world-class city, with a great location and only 48 mi.² of land area. It can’t help but be expensive. It’s not worth it to me, when one can pay less to get Chicago or Philadelphia, pay the roughly the same for DC, or a little more for NYC...but I get it.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:26 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times
Williston, ND was pretty darn bad when I was there in 2014. It was so expensive simply due to the oil boom. The only good thing it had was the municipal rec center.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:58 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
While Bozeman and Missoula can't be called expensive compared to the national average, they're certainly not worth the cost. They're very small cities with shockingly few amenities (especially Bozeman) and offer very low pay on average. You're simply paying for the view and to say you live in Montana.

I feel like Boston and Seattle are justified.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:19 PM

513 posts, read 499,619 times
I don't know if Austin is considered expensive, but I never understood the hype. Seattle and Portland are not value propositions anymore - you might as well live in California and enjoy better weather for a similar price.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
I don't know if Austin is considered expensive, but I never understood the hype. Seattle and Portland are not value propositions anymore - you might as well live in California and enjoy better weather for a similar price.
I wanted to suggest Austin, but I haven’t been in over a decade. The Austin I remember shouldn’t be as expensive as the city currently is. If you’ve visited Austin when SXSW WASN’T happening and you still love it, odds are you’re a white tech-bro under the age of 36.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:55 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Whether you think New York metro or the bay area are worth the expense, I think we all understand why they are so expensive. What metro area do you think is expensive in a way that can’t be justified?

For me it’s Charlotte. There is nothing wrong with the city of Charlotte, but it’s not on the water, it’s not particularly close to other cities. It’s not beautiful and it doesn’t have superior urbanity or infrastructure, yet it’s housing costs rival Chicago’s. My best friend and little sister both live there. He’s the kind of guy who could be happy and just about any city. She hates it, but her fiancé is a big shot at Bank of America, so they stay. Both live in the city proper. Neither can walk to anything, both are zoned for bad schools. Both live in nice, but ultimately unimpressive $500k houses.
Gonna disagree.

500k in Charlotte:https://www.trulia.com/p/nc/charlott...78--2283721693

500K in Austin https://www.trulia.com/p/tx/austin/1...02--1007582079

455K in Oakland: https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/oakland/...05--2083866856

I do understand these aren't apples to apples comparisons as I don't know much about their respective neighborhoods.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:59 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Most of DFW is still relatively affordable, but the Collin County suburb of Frisco fits the bill. $400k median house value, $500k median listing price. It's got Denver's housing prices, Texas's property taxes, and Kansas's views.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:13 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Most of DFW is still relatively affordable, but the Collin County suburb of Frisco fits the bill. $400k median house value, $500k median listing price. It's got Denver's housing prices, Texas's property taxes, and Kansas's views.
Gorgeous large homes though.

https://www.trulia.com/p/tx/frisco/1...0#lil-mediaTab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.