Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I move?
Nashville 12 25.53%
Raleigh 9 19.15%
Indianapolis 5 10.64%
Charlotte 12 25.53%
Boise 12 25.53%
Denver 7 14.89%
Austin 3 6.38%
Other (please specify in comments!) 10 21.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:40 AM

32 posts, read 36,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Austin and Denver might be too far left for you OP. But man I loved living in Austin. It kind of lacked in the outdoor activities side of things though in my opinion. Seemed like you had to drive at least an hour outside the city to find anything that was truly "outdoors" feeling. I would consider myself socially liberal and fiscally conservative and felt comfortable in Austin.

I live in Raleigh and like it. If you live near downtown it won't be hard for you to find other people your age. It's a much more quiet larger city. Very family oriented. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.
Yeah, I'm more in the "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" area myself. The kind of places I'm looking to avoid are the Berkeley/Boulder type places (just to name two cities I've been to where it felt like politics permeated everything.)

I definitely want to end up in a "family-oriented" place, and that's the kind of feel I like, but for the short-term I think I also need to have easy access to a more cosmopolitan area. I wouldn't want to live in downtown Raleigh, but somewhere nearby (like maybe Cary?) where things are a little more spread out might be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 11:47 AM

32 posts, read 36,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
Hi there! What town will you be moving from?

I voted for other. I lived in Denver and Boise (both of them for 2 years each) and while I enjoyed Denver a LOT more than Boise (I was bored out of my mind in Boise), if you're looking for a more conservative town, Denver may not fit what you're looking for. Unless maybe you want to be more in the suburbs (I still have many friends in Denver and they're conservative but they all live in the suburbs).

My thoughts on these two cities:

Boise - too small, boring, isolated, not close to any major city... but conservative.
Denver - bigger city, fun sports town, great mountain views, lots to do... but more liberal & has gotten pricey.

Perhaps a city with a mixture of both: Salt Lake City. SL is bigger than Boise, but not as big as Denver. I actually give the mountain views in SL an edge over the other cities, as they are quite impressive. More conservative and a good outdoorsy town. COL is low.

Another option too: Colorado Springs. I grew up there and loved it. Just an hour south of Denver and actually has better mountain views being so close to Pikes Peak.

Have you considered any cities farther west, like Phoenix or Tucson? Arizona has low COL and they lean more conservative. Lots of rental opportunities. Also, close to San Diego/LA for weekend trips and what not.
I've heard really good things about Colorado Springs. I'm not sure whether that's too small/too far from Denver for what I'm looking for, but I should look more into it.

I've spent some time in SLC. Something about being between the mountains felt very constricting to me--the traffic and layout of the area just wasn't appealing. But I loved the ability to get to the mountains easily. I had Boise on my list because people said it was a smaller version of SLC, which seemed appealing, but maybe it would feel similarly claustrophobic?

I haven't really looked out west much just because, from my research, it seems like everywhere out there has a higher COL than the places I'm looking. I spent a summer in Phoenix and actually didn't mind the heat that much (it's true what they say about the dry heat), so maybe it's worth another look.

Thank so much for the tips!

Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I wouldn't deem it 'preferable', as I like all the other cities you cite as well.
But I think J'ville can certainly hold its own.
The obvious advantage to many would be the presence of some great beach communities:
Atlantic Beach
Neptune Beach
Jacksonville Beach
Ponte Vedra Beach
It also has some beautiful intown communities fronting the St. Johns River (which is an asset to J'ville in its own right). I particularly like the Riverside/Avondale area and its lively commercial district.

https://www.visitjacksonville.com/ar...side-avondale/

Jacksonville's indented location on the Eastern Seaboard keeps the risk of a direct hit from hurricanes low relative to other coastal cities.
Don't forget Fernandina Beach which is a jewel of a coastal town!
Fernandina Historic District | Amelia Island Living & Travel e-Magazine

Old 07-12-2018, 11:55 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atacrossroads View Post
So funny! I never even thought of Jacksonville until this thread!

What makes Jacksonville preferable to the other southern cities on my list (Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte)?

And this may be a dumb question, but should the threat of hurricanes factor into my decision? Just seems like something I'd rather not have to deal with...
I would say what makes it preferable is it's coastal location and lower cost of living, especially up against Nashville for instance. Hurricanes as mentioned are pretty much a non-issue in terms of regularity and while not coastal, cities like Raleigh and Charlotte aren't immune from the effects of hurricanes when they do affect the Southeast US.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:11 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,679,368 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm more in the "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" area myself. The kind of places I'm looking to avoid are the Berkeley/Boulder type places (just to name two cities I've been to where it felt like politics permeated everything.)

I definitely want to end up in a "family-oriented" place, and that's the kind of feel I like, but for the short-term I think I also need to have easy access to a more cosmopolitan area. I wouldn't want to live in downtown Raleigh, but somewhere nearby (like maybe Cary?) where things are a little more spread out might be ideal.
Yeah Cary is solid. I live in between Cary and Raleigh in Southwest Raleigh. 10 mins from downtown. You'd like the area a lot. Tons of outdoor stuff within a short drive. I love going to the parks and walking trails. Plenty of nice ones within a 20 minute drive.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 PM

485 posts, read 324,689 times
Quote:
I had Boise on my list because people said it was a smaller version of SLC, which seemed appealing, but maybe it would feel similarly claustrophobic?

I haven't really looked out west much just because, from my research, it seems like everywhere out there has a higher COL than the places I'm looking. I spent a summer in Phoenix and actually didn't mind the heat that much (it's true what they say about the dry heat), so maybe it's worth another look.
I'm claustrophobic as well so I get what you're saying. I think what you may have heard about Boise being a smaller version of SLC is maybe they meant in terms of weather/climate...but the mountains over there are nothing like SLC's mountain range so I don't think you'd feel claustrophobic. I grew up near the Colorado Rockies so to me, the smaller mountain range in Boise wasn't impressive but maybe that's something you'd prefer, especially if you didn't care of SLC.

I live in San Diego now but my parents retired in Phoenix so when we visit them, I'm jealous of all the affordable housing options they have there compared to CA. So many nice rentals and priced just right.

Maybe try a city comparison at this site: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

But I think all the cities you're considering are all probably very family friendly cities so I'm sure you'll be fine. Happy hunting!

Last edited by Yac; 07-13-2018 at 01:53 AM..

Old 07-12-2018, 05:11 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,269,925 times
Quote:

I've spent some time in SLC. Something about being between the mountains felt very constricting to me--the traffic and layout of the area just wasn't appealing. But I loved the ability to get to the mountains easily. I had Boise on my list because people said it was a smaller version of SLC, which seemed appealing, but maybe it would feel similarly claustrophobic?

I wouldn't describe Boise as a smaller SLC. Also, the Boise foothills have a more gentle climb than the mountains in SLC. It also isn't as tightly between 2 mountain ranges and a lake. it feels more open.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:30 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,269,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
Hi there! What town will you be moving from?

I voted for other. I lived in Denver and Boise (both of them for 2 years each) and while I enjoyed Denver a LOT more than Boise (I was bored out of my mind in Boise), if you're looking for a more conservative town, Denver may not fit what you're looking for. Unless maybe you want to be more in the suburbs (I still have many friends in Denver and they're conservative but they all live in the suburbs).

My thoughts on these two cities:

Boise - too small, boring, isolated, not close to any major city... but conservative.
Denver - bigger city, fun sports town, great mountain views, lots to do... but more liberal & has gotten pricey.

Perhaps a city with a mixture of both: Salt Lake City. SL is bigger than Boise, but not as big as Denver. I actually give the mountain views in SL an edge over the other cities, as they are quite impressive. More conservative and a good outdoorsy town. COL is low.

Another option too: Colorado Springs. I grew up there and loved it. Just an hour south of Denver and actually has better mountain views being so close to Pikes Peak.

Have you considered any cities farther west, like Phoenix or Tucson? Arizona has low COL and they lean more conservative. Lots of rental opportunities. Also, close to San Diego/LA for weekend trips and what not.
Modcut: Please discuss the topic, not other posters

IDk how much this person took advantage of when they lived in Idaho, but while the mountains are not as tall as Colorado, there are alot less people, and skiing is still great, and pretty cheap (comparatively). I think you really have to lack outdoor interests to be bored in Boise as they are much better than Denver.

It's very difficult to top Boise as an outdoors city, especially as Colorado has gotten more crowded and expensive.

I think it's kind of funny that someone would recommend Colorado Springs and hate on Boise. I was actually born in the Springs, though I mostly grew up in Boise. My parents originally were a little underwhelmed with the mountain views when they made the move, it's true, they are less impressive, but within a few years preferred Boise.

There is no doubt Boise is more isolated, and that can be seen as a feature and disadvantage. These days flights from Boise to Vegas, LA, Seattle, and San Francisco are cheap. I even fly Dallas to Boise direct.

Boise has very mild winters for how far north it is. The dryness makes it even more tolerable. I prefer (the not supper common) 15 in Boise to 30 in Dallas.

I have no issues posting my bias right here:

I grew up in Boise, I love Boise and I hope to return to Boise some day. Call me a homer because it's true. Modcut: Please discuss the topic, not other posters

I think (and other people think based on their votes as well) Boise could fit really well with the OPs criteria, so I would give it a serious look at!

Last edited by JMT; 07-13-2018 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-12-2018, 06:13 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,396,257 times
Quote:
Hi there, everyone! I've been a big fan of this forum for awhile; it's given me a lot of good info. I'm hoping to get some advice directly now!

I recently had a long-term relationship end, and I'm looking for a new start. I work from home, so I can live just about anywhere. I'm limiting myself to the U.S., but otherwise I'm open-minded. Any suggestions? A little about me and my criteria:

- I'm a male in my late 20s. I enjoy being active and getting outside, and would ideally like to find a city with a similar culture.

- I'm looking for somewhere to settle down. I got the traveling/partying bug out of my system when I was younger, so I'm not necessarily looking for a "fun" city, or somewhere that's appealing to visitors and tourists. I'd like to find somewhere I can stick around for a long time. I'll be renting for now, but would like to keep the housing market in consideration.

- That being said, I am a moderate extrovert and do need to be able to meet other single people my age. So I can't be in the middle of nowhere. Though I grew up in a small town and would like to settle in one, at this stage I've accepted the fact that I need to be somewhere more urban. I probably wouldn't live in the city center, but somewhere on the outskirts where I could have a little more room but still easy access to the city. And I'd like to find the "smallest big city" if that makes sense--I don't want to have to deal with a ton of traffic and endless sprawl, and would like to be able to get out of the city relatively easily.

- I grew up in the cold, I'd prefer not to be anywhere too far north. I'm okay with some snow, I just don't want to be anywhere that's gray for half the year.

- Ideally, I'd be in a city that's slightly more conservative/moderate politically. I know that doesn't really exist in bigger cities, but I'd at least like to avoid a super-left city.

- I'd like a place with relatively low taxes and cost of living. Since I have the freedom to go anywhere, I'd like to take advantage of it by not going somewhere that'll eat my whole paycheck.

- I'd like a place with a large medical community, mostly because my ideal partner would be in that profession.

- And I'd like to also keep in mind some of the typical considerations (crime rates, pollution, etc.)

I've created a poll with some of the cities I've been researching that seem to be closest to my criteria, but I'm happy to hear any other suggestions. Thanks so much for the help!
That's kinda creepy

Old 07-12-2018, 07:18 PM

155 posts, read 288,245 times
Quote:
I've heard really good things about Colorado Springs. I'm not sure whether that's too small/too far from Denver for what I'm looking for, but I should look more into it.

The Springs population is 465K....700K in the metro area. It's a little over an hour from Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.