Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:55 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I read, somewhere (wish I could find it), that the gap between Milwaukee's white population and black population education level, is the most in any city. Of course, there are exceptions (like the neighbors I had, where husband and wife were both MDs, and black).
I was born in Milwaukee and have heard about the gap between whites and blacks there for decades since at least the early 1980s...not only for education but for every social ill you can think of. Whatever the gap is nationally, it is much more extreme in Milwaukee for whatever reason.

I agree these are all group differences and there are always individual exceptions..always. This is true for pretty much all the posts where people in cities are compared to each other. For example, I spent my childhood in a Milwaukee suburb and the first black I met and became friends with had parents who were both doctors. That doesn't mean anything said about Milwaukee blacks as a group is false, it shows there are always exceptions to the group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:15 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
What source did you get this from?
American Factfinder. I looked it up for a thread we had going a few years ago.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:50 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Yeah, everybody knows stuff like that; stuff like houses in ANY class of majority Black neighborhood being of lower value that in an equaivalent white or Asian neighborhood, no matter what city you go to. That's not really what I'm talking about when I bring up Dallas, though.

Maybe I didn't make it clear in my previous post, but I was making a point about how that common factor combined with the massive amount of Black transplants to Dallas AND how spread out DFW is, AND how quickly it is growing make Dallas somewhat unique in just how acute the difference is between what is CONSIDERED middle class to native Black Dallasites and what is considered middle class to Black transplants to Dallas; and how it really waters down the overall strength and feel of the Black Professional community as well as the Black community in general in Dallas/DFW.

Atlanta and DC don't have that problem---or at least not NEARLY to the extent that Dallas does---because they have both been known, proven Meccas for Black professionals and Black people in general for a very long time now. Dallas/DFW has not, and the point I was trying to make was that as quickly as it's growing and with all that DFW has to offer professionals in general of ANY race these days, it's a shame that that is holding Dallas back as a known and positively regarded place for Black professionals. (Not to spark up Houston vs. Dallas again, but) That's the very reason why Houston gets brought up by Black folks a considerable amount as a good, up and coming or underappreciated city for Black Professionals but Dallas either never gets brought up or gets compared unfavorably to Houston in that regard.
Having lived in both (and DC for that matter), agree to some extent, but I think there are two main drivers of the segmentation of the professional black community in Dallas when compared with Houston, Atlanta, and DC. One is the lack of an HBCU - all three of those cities have multiple sizable and historic HBCUs in the area. Urban areas with HBCUs tend to cultivate and retain a bigger professional black community than urban areas without, especially in the south. I don't really count Paul Quinn since it is tiny and to this day a lot of older blacks in Texas still associate it more with Waco than Dallas. It hasn't even been in Dallas for 30 years yet.

The second is that, for whatever reason, Dallas feels more spatially and socially segregated than Houston and DC (I can't really speak on Atlanta as I've never lived there). It definitely feels like there's a wide gulf between black transplants and black natives in Dallas in many ways. I've never really felt that same dynamic in Houston or DC where both black transplants and natives tend to occupy the same social spaces, and it seems that both of those cities have more spaces in general that specifically cater to black social life. But I think the main driver is that the city lacks the ability to grow its black professional class organically through an HBCU. Some might be surprised how many networks and opportunities HBCUs can open up for young educated black people, particularly in the region that the HBCU resides. They tend to be a huge part of social life in DC and Atlanta (and Houston to a far lesser extent).

Old 07-24-2018, 01:15 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Having lived in both (and DC for that matter), agree to some extent, but I think there are two main drivers of the segmentation of the professional black community in Dallas when compared with Houston, Atlanta, and DC. One is the lack of an HBCU - all three of those cities have multiple sizable and historic HBCUs in the area. Urban areas with HBCUs tend to cultivate and retain a bigger professional black community than urban areas without, especially in the south. I don't really count Paul Quinn since it is tiny and to this day a lot of older blacks in Texas still associate it more with Waco than Dallas. It hasn't even been in Dallas for 30 years yet.

The second is that, for whatever reason, Dallas feels more spatially and socially segregated than Houston and DC (I can't really speak on Atlanta as I've never lived there). It definitely feels like there's a wide gulf between black transplants and black natives in Dallas in many ways. I've never really felt that same dynamic in Houston or DC where both black transplants and natives tend to occupy the same social spaces, and it seems that both of those cities have more spaces in general that specifically cater to black social life. But I think the main driver is that the city lacks the ability to grow its black professional class organically through an HBCU. Some might be surprised how many networks and opportunities HBCUs can open up for young educated black people, particularly in the region that the HBCU resides. They tend to be a huge part of social life in DC and Atlanta (and Houston to a far lesser extent).
Thank you. Since you have lived in Dallas (and Houston and DC), you get EXACTLY what I was saying.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:41 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Isn’t HBCU all about timelines? Cause we have a black college in New York City I think two actually but none are considered HBCU. Could it be because they’re public colleges or because they were built much much later than the typical HBCUs?

Or is it because they are up north?

Old 07-24-2018, 02:44 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Isn’t HBCU all about timelines? Cause we have a black college in New York City I think two actually but none are considered HBCU. Could it be because they’re public colleges or because they were built much much later than the typical HBCUs?

Or is it because they are up north?
^ This, as the institution had to be formed before 1964.

Chicago also has predominantly black colleges(i.e.-Chicago State), but I don't believe that any were formed previous to that year or changed at a later time.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-24-2018 at 03:49 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 04:07 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:

I agree until the last part. TSU and especially, PV have a huge grasp on Houston’s nightlife. DJ Mr. Rogers is a PV alum and brings out the PV crowd like none other. Southern and Grambling do too. Grads from Southern and TSU have opened up several daiquiri spots that cater to the nightlife too.

DC and Atlanta have more elite and prominent HBCUs, which is why I can kinda see where you’re going.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:08 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
From what I know, Memphis and Miami come to my mind. Also, I would add Dallas, but the faithfuls will come for my neck. Lol.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:19 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I agree until the last part. TSU and especially, PV have a huge grasp on Houston’s nightlife. DJ Mr. Rogers is a PV alum and brings out the PV crowd like none other. Southern and Grambling do too. Grads from Southern and TSU have opened up several daiquiri spots that cater to the nightlife too.

DC and Atlanta have more elite and prominent HBCUs, which is why I can kinda see where you’re going.
Fair, maybe I shouldn't have said to a FAR lesser extent. PV and TSU (+ the Louisiana schools) do have a big influence on Houston's black professional life, I just don't perceive it to be quite on the same level as Howard's influence on DC or the AUC's influence on Atlanta. But its definitely there and you can feel it.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:59 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Yeah, everybody knows stuff like that; stuff like houses in ANY class of majority Black neighborhood being of lower value that in an equaivalent white or Asian neighborhood, no matter what city you go to. That's not really what I'm talking about when I bring up Dallas, though.

Maybe I didn't make it clear in my previous post, but I was making a point about how that common factor combined with the massive amount of Black transplants to Dallas AND how spread out DFW is, AND how quickly it is growing make Dallas somewhat unique in just how acute the difference is between what is CONSIDERED middle class to native Black Dallasites and what is considered middle class to Black transplants to Dallas; and how it really waters down the overall strength and feel of the Black Professional community as well as the Black community in general in Dallas/DFW.

Atlanta and DC don't have that problem---or at least not NEARLY to the extent that Dallas does---because they have both been known, proven Meccas for Black professionals and Black people in general for a very long time now. Dallas/DFW has not, and the point I was trying to make was that as quickly as it's growing and with all that DFW has to offer professionals in general of ANY race these days, it's a shame that that is holding Dallas back as a known and positively regarded place for Black professionals. (Not to spark up Houston vs. Dallas again, but) That's the very reason why Houston gets brought up by Black folks a considerable amount as a good, up and coming or underappreciated city for Black Professionals but Dallas either never gets brought up or gets compared unfavorably to Houston in that regard.
Hmmmm...this is interesting. In suburban Atlanta and DC in particular, a lot of Black transplants move to parts of the metro that have a significant population of natives or longtime transplants (ironically, I've lived in the Whiter/more diverse suburbs of both because they were much closer to work). As it was stated, Dallas is somewhat new to the game but I'm having a hard time believing that "the Best Southwest" is THAT far behind the more diverse middle/upper middle class neighborhoods in the northern suburbs; I doubt that the gap is significantly larger than that between south Dekalb/south Fulton/Clayton counties and north Fulton/Gwinnett/east Cobb counties in metro Atlanta or between PG County and Montgomery County/NoVA in the DMV. Maybe it's because the middle/upper middle class suburbs in metro Atlanta and the DMV have been around for a while and have made a name for themselves so they don't have to work as hard to sell themselves to transplants compared to the Best Southwest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.