Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:28 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
From my understanding, profesionals are those who have specialized degrees such as Pharmacists, Doctors and Accountants. The idea that one has to have a degree to make a decent living is bogus. I know of too many who make six figures just off of pure hussle and passion. I also know some who have degrees some advanced degrees who barely make $50k a year.

There are many very successful people of all races who don't dress or carry themselves like they do in an Atlanta type city. Midwesterners are not boastful culturally as they are in the south or east coast. You may have someone living in a 4k sq ft home driving a older Toyota to work and wearing a poodle skirt from Walmart. Some cities aren't flashy.
Typically a bachelor's degree in any field is the minimum educational requirement to be classified as a professional, although the AFL-CIO's Department of Professional Employees includes those with associate degrees, at least for the purpose of this fact sheet: The Professional and Technical Workforce
It's not quite the same as having a professional degree, although having one most certainly qualifies one as belonging to the professional class.

No one here said or implied that making a decent living, earning a high salary, or being successful in a career was dependent on having a degree. However, there is a demonstrated correlation between higher incomes and educational attainment.

I'm also not sure what people dressing or carrying themselves in "an Atlanta type city" (and I'm not quite sure what that means), being "boastful culturally," or flashiness has to do with the subject at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 10:42 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Teachers are "professionals", too.

Don't get "professions", civil service, etc. confused with income (working class/ middle class/ upper middle class/ wealthy. etc.) These are TOTALLY different things. For instance, I know MANY skilled workers (plumbers, electricians, construction workers, etc.) that make as much or more than many "professionals", but none of these (many who make six figures or more) would ever call themselves "professionals" even though they are well within the realm of "upper middle class" or higher. My own grandparents, who owned and worked in their own barber and beauty shops, became millionaires. Income and being a "professional" are two distinctly different things.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:03 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
A lot of the smaller southern cities have this problem.
As well as larger ones, especially here in Florida. Miami, Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville all have few Black professionals relatively speaking as well as Bachelors degree holders in general.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^ This, as the institution had to be formed before 1964.

Chicago also has predominantly black colleges(i.e.-Chicago State), but I don't believe that any were formed previous to that year or changed at a later time.
CSU was originally established in 1867 under the name "Cook County Normal School". It was a majority white school until around the 1970s, although there has been debate on whether to make it recognized as an "African American institution" or retain its multiracial identity. The school is 93% black.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:43 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Hmmmm...this is interesting. In suburban Atlanta and DC in particular, a lot of Black transplants move to parts of the metro that have a significant population of natives or longtime transplants (ironically, I've lived in the Whiter/more diverse suburbs of both because they were much closer to work). As it was stated, Dallas is somewhat new to the game but I'm having a hard time believing that "the Best Southwest" is THAT far behind the more diverse middle/upper middle class neighborhoods in the northern suburbs; I doubt that the gap is significantly larger than that between south Dekalb/south Fulton/Clayton counties and north Fulton/Gwinnett/east Cobb counties in metro Atlanta or between PG County and Montgomery County/NoVA in the DMV. Maybe it's because the middle/upper middle class suburbs in metro Atlanta and the DMV have been around for a while and have made a name for themselves so they don't have to work as hard to sell themselves to transplants compared to the Best Southwest?
You are correct in your assessment. The so-called "gap" between the Best Southwest and the northern suburbs of Dallas isn't as dramatic as stated earlier in this thread. It is likely less than the other metros you listed or somewhat comparable, but not significantly worse.

-----------
As a longtime resident of the Best Southwest region, I strongly disagree with way it was as portrayed earlier in this thread. The area as a whole, individual communities, residents, and its overall status within the DFW metro area were completely mischaracterized. I can usually let things go, but felt it necessary to share my thoughts on this.

This is an interesting discussion and I don't want to derail it. I'll bow out.

Last edited by Acntx; 07-29-2018 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 03:07 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
You are correct in your assessment. The so-called "gap" between the Best Southwest and the northern suburbs of Dallas isn't as dramatic as stated earlier in this thread. It is likely less than the other metros you listed or somewhat comparable, but not significantly worse.

-----------
As a longtime resident of the Best Southwest region, I strongly disagree with way it was as portrayed earlier in this thread. The area as a whole, individual communities, residents, and its overall status within the DFW metro area were completely mischaracterized. I can usually let things go, but felt it necessary to share my thoughts on this.

This is an interesting discussion and I don't want to derail it. I'll bow out.
Of course it’s over exaggerated. It’s more than one way to skin a cat you know. You don’t have to be a degreed professional to be successful in this country. I know plenty of blue collar workers that are black making 6 figure salaries at local companies like GM, Bell Helicopter, and Lockheed Martin. I never understood the obsession with the topic of black professionals on City-data. There are a lot more wealth variable indicators that are better suited to grade the overall health of a particular black community. If the truth be told the industries that DFW cater to are a lot more conducive to meeting the overall needs of black Americans, which is why the metro black population continues boom.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:22 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
There are a lot more wealth variable indicators that are better suited to grade the overall health of a particular black community.
Such as? That might have been more true in times past when there were more manufacturing jobs in the U.S., but in this day and age, I'm fairly certain that educational attainment most tightly correlates to the overall health of a community.

Quote:
If the truth be told the industries that DFW cater to are a lot more conducive to meeting the overall needs of black Americans, which is why the metro black population continues boom.
No doubt DFW does a good job on that front, but so does several other metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.