Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:43 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times

Advertisements

I think the tropical paradise of Hawaii and the bayous of Louisiana have a more magical feel though the Northwest is pretty (when its not raining). Now Alaska does have a magical feel too if y'all consider that part of the Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 07:11 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Redwood National Park is definitely the most mystical feeling place I’ve ever been.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:34 PM

136 posts, read 179,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Redwood National Park is definitely the most mystical feeling place I’ve ever been.
Isn't that in California?

Old 07-28-2018, 08:10 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
Isn't that in California?
Yes, on the coast just on the California side of the California/Oregon border. Feels plenty Pac NW to me.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Yes, on the coast just on the California side of the California/Oregon border. Feels plenty Pac NW to me.
I was living there a little more than a year ago - in Crescent City, CA, and it is definitely the PNW. Check the weather there right now - cloudy, windy, cool. Also gets lots of rain throughout the year. The giant redwoods are definitely magical. Awe-inspiring. It felt like a kind of church to me. I'd take my dog and we had our secret spot. Everyone should experience it. To feel so small. You just can't imagine the size of the trees, you have to see them in person to experience it. Definitely magical.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:23 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
It depends upon what you consider magic. Earth magic is very strong outside the big cities.

Elves and fairies are British Isles, except that Portland does have a fellow dressed as a wizard who rides a unicycle and plays the bagpipes.

No one in the PNW considers San Francisco to be PNW. No one in Oregon or Washington considers Northern California to be PNW. People who live in Northern California sometimes insist that they are also PNW.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:24 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It depends upon what you consider magic. Earth magic is very strong outside the big cities.

Elves and fairies are British Isles, except that Portland does have a fellow dressed as a wizard who rides a unicycle and plays the bagpipes.

No one in the PNW considers San Francisco to be PNW. No one in Oregon or Washington considers Northern California to be PNW. People who live in Northern California sometimes insist that they are also PNW.
But a significant chunk is part of Cascadia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_(bioregion)

Old 07-29-2018, 09:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Insisting that a town that is only 30 minutes from the Oregon border is not in the PNW, but every single part of Oregon is...is....silly.

Call it what you will. A border between states doesn't change the weather from one side to the other. Or the industries from logging/crabbing/Forest Service employees to Facebook/Yahoo/Google employees.

All you need to do is look at the data. Weather, types of employment, attitudes regarding guns, etc. It's a region without definite lines or borders. To say any of that stops exactly at a state line is simply silly or very naive or ignorant.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:47 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

This hearkens the the grand old American tradition of gatekeeping.

Although I myself don't consider SF to be the PNW, in terms of a lot of charactersitics, I think northern Northern California fits in with the somewhat nebulous definition of 'PNW'.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:05 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
Thanks for the answers guys.

Yeah but like most bigfoot sightings are there.
Seems to be a lot of Live Action Role Playing (LARP)
Also probably the highest concentration of hippies (maybe Austin is up there).

I don't mean that it is pretty...it just seems to have a mystical feel. Like the forests could have elves and fairies and stuff.

You just don't feel that in the LA of San Diego forests
You do in NorCal redwood forests, though.

There are places kinda like that in the PacNW: mostly in cedar forests. IMO the cities tend to be very drab-looking, though. You might prefer some of the small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.