Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:46 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times

Advertisements

"Straight roads" are simple to build if your terrain is overall FLAT! LOL,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 10:57 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Exactly. Building straight roads in Atlanta is unrealistic. It's Piedmont territory with streams and hills, plus many areas have an ordinance to keep it green. Dallas is the prairies.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:21 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Agreed. I’m not taking a shot at ATL. I’d rather live there than DFW but I work from home so commute is irrelevant.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:27 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Seattle and San Francisco are hillier yet have many straight roads. Atlanta simply doesn't have enough roads, but you will notice this is not the case at the very core of the city.

As it grew, Dallas simply suburbanized the classic street grid, but they've never been scared to build roads. Atlanta on the other hand is the king of superblocks.

So it has little to do with terrain. Houston is even flatter but has less of a straight edge grid than Dallas.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:35 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep, gotta give Dallas that. For a metro area that large, the traffic is ok.
Yeah and despite having 1.5 ish million more people and faster growth Dallas has way better traffic than Atlanta which is probably has the worst designed road system for a large city in the country.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:42 PM

A feature of Dallas is also having a better airport and being centrally located. Atlanta to the Rockies or West Coast is more of a pain. Dallas isn't so far even from the North East to make it an unreasonable long weekend in lets say, Boston.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:40 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
A feature of Dallas is also having a better airport and being centrally located. Atlanta to the Rockies or West Coast is more of a pain. Dallas isn't so far even from the North East to make it an unreasonable long weekend in lets say, Boston.
Oh, come on...

Old 07-29-2018, 07:07 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Oh, come on...
Agreed.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Oh, come on...
It's true. I prefer DFW.

It's also great being centrally located, most of the country is within a 3 hour flight, Seattle being the exception about about 4 hours.

Most of the west is an additional hour to hour and a half from Atlanta. Seattle is an over 5 hour flight. I would prefer to have a shorter flight to the Western cities than to the East, thats just a personal preference.

DFW offers direct flights to smaller western metros like Boise, Reno, and Spokane. While I'm sure Atlanta offers direct flights to smaller eastern metros out west things are more spread out so these direct flights make a bigger difference.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:42 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It's true. I prefer DFW.

It's also great being centrally located, most of the country is within a 3 hour flight, Seattle being the exception about about 4 hours.

Most of the west is an additional hour to hour and a half from Atlanta. Seattle is an over 5 hour flight. I would prefer to have a shorter flight to the Western cities than to the East, thats just a personal preference.

DFW offers direct flights to smaller western metros like Boise, Reno, and Spokane. While I'm sure Atlanta offers direct flights to smaller eastern metros out west things are more spread out so these direct flights make a bigger difference.
Stating that you prefer DFW due to geography is one thing, but that doesn't make it better than ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.