Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Why's that?
I don't get that, either. Your original inquiry was as such:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
What cities could have been much larger or influential but never lived up to their potential?

Consider development paths, geography, immigration, technology, etc.
All three of those cities were powerhouses in their day. It's not like they never had a fair shake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 05:55 PM

71 posts, read 79,833 times
I wouldn't necessarily call this city underachieving, but an interesting thought came to me. Greenville, South Carolina.... how different would this city be if South Carolina didn't have laws in place that make annexing so hard. It's thought that Greenville would be closer to 400,000 people. Also, regarding St. Louis. Had they chosen to stay in St Louis County back in the late 1800s, rather than become independent with only 61 square miles, how much larger would they have become, and would they have suffered the way they did in the latter half of the 1900s if they had the economy from the suburban part? Just thinking aloud here....

Old 08-18-2018, 06:21 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
I feel like a lot of this is just "I really like this city"

Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I don't get that, either. Your original inquiry was as such:

All three of those cities were powerhouses in their day. It's not like they never had a fair shake.

I read the question wrong and misunderstood, I'm sorry.

Underachieving? Perhaps Jackson Mississippi. Birmingham Alabama was on the cusp of becoming a great southern city but was edged out by Atlanta, it still is a pretty great city, but really missed the mark. Same with Memphis.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kemosabe_ View Post
Could have been more influential : Birmingham AL (got kicked by Atlanta, now by Nashville)

then Memphis (losing to Nashville), Little Rock, San Antonio

It's interesting to me how for a long time Memphis was the largest and dominant city of the state, but over the second half of the 20th century and especially the 21st century, Nashville has just exploded in terms of growth.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbluesprings View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call this city underachieving, but an interesting thought came to me. Greenville, South Carolina.... how different would this city be if South Carolina didn't have laws in place that make annexing so hard. It's thought that Greenville would be closer to 400,000 people.
So would Columbia and Charleston. SC's stringent annexation laws kinda hamper its cities in terms of visibility, but not in any truly significant sense.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
San Diego: lost Chargers and about to lose Comic Con due to no expansion of convention center. Downtown is also moribund.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Diego: lost Chargers and about to lose Comic Con due to no expansion of convention center. Downtown is also moribund.
Interesting. Did not know they were losing comicon. Is there any other dreary news for San Diego? First time I'm hearing a bleak Outlook for the city, although I don't follow it too closely.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:53 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Interesting. Did not know they were losing comicon. Is there any other dreary news for San Diego? First time I'm hearing a bleak Outlook for the city, although I don't follow it too closely.
They're not going to be able to expand the convention center in time as they both agreed. So they most likely will lose Comic Con to L.A or Vegas. The only good thing happening in SD is Nat Bosa!!!! a prolific developer who loves Downtown SD to build many new high residential towers and a new office building to lure high tech downtown.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:52 PM

233 posts, read 344,517 times
So far, we have Cairo, Il, Memphis, TN, and now San Diego...Any additional frontrunners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.