Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:51 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Yep, wake up and smell the paper mills, then chop your nose off

Eh, my first experience with a paper mill was a stop on a trip through Rumford, Maine. That town had a paper mill, and the wind was blowing the right direction that day I didn't stay outside too long that day because the outside air temperature was around -15F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:20 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Eh, my first experience with a paper mill was a stop on a trip through Rumford, Maine. That town had a paper mill, and the wind was blowing the right direction that day I didn't stay outside too long that day because the outside air temperature was around -15F.
That almost sounds like Iowa in the winter. Are you sure you weren't in like Dubuque or something?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
That almost sounds like Iowa in the winter. Are you sure you weren't in like Dubuque or something?
I don't think Iowa has any paper mills

Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM

71 posts, read 424,408 times
4 cities on the list that should not even be on the list because I guarantee no one will choose them:

1. Evansville, IN - I grew up there. There's nothing to like about it because there's nothing to do there.

2. Toledo, OH - Exactly like Evansville, but colder and more snow.

3. Gary, IN - Ugly and a lot of crime.

4. Terre Haute, IN - just not a fan.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CObound View Post
4 cities on the list that should not even be on the list because I guarantee no one will choose them:

1. Evansville, IN - I grew up there. There's nothing to like about it because there's nothing to do there.

2. Toledo, OH - Exactly like Evansville, but colder and more snow.

3. Gary, IN - Ugly and a lot of crime.

4. Terre Haute, IN - just not a fan.
Oh no - more of the "nothing to do" whining business. That's fine that you didn't have anything to do - but that doesn't mean no one will choose that city. (Or like that type of city for that matter!)

Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Why is Lincoln on so many lists but Omaha isnt? Something wrong with it?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 AM

71 posts, read 424,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Oh no - more of the "nothing to do" whining business. That's fine that you didn't have anything to do - but that doesn't mean no one will choose that city. (Or like that type of city for that matter!)

I know what you mean about the "nothing to do" whining business, but I do believe that cities that truly have "nothing to do" for teens and kids growing up there need to work harder on changing their entertainment options. I saw first-hand how the fact that there is nothing to do other than go to a smoke-filled bowling alley or go to the movies on weekends directly leads to more underage drinking and drinking parties. Kids feel like there are no other socialization options so they resort to drinking. Of course, this is just my opinion, but it is certainly something that I believe mid-sized and smaller cities could work on.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM

143 posts, read 873,136 times
Im partial to Toledo for reasons I shall not disclose. But as a person who travels to 80 different U.S. cities a year. Id have to say alot of these cities are similar, which is a reason the they arent on anyones itenerary..Of them all Naperville is probably the best, in fact its the fourth fastest growing place in the country..

Old 04-04-2008, 03:56 PM

57 posts, read 185,033 times
Quote:
Just figured I would put this one out since it seems that the Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Detroit, Indianapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Kansas City, and St. Louis always hog the spotlight. Here are the options, but if you want to expand the list to include places in Kansas, Nebaraska, South Dakota, and North Dakota be my guest.

1. Duluth, MN
2. International Falls, MN
3. Grand Rapids, MI
4. Lansing, MI
5. Des Moines, IA
6. Quad Cities, IA
7. Cedar Rapids, IA
8. Cedar Falls, IA
9. Sioux City, IA
10. St. Joseph, MO
11. Rolla, MO
12. Springfield, MO
13. Joplin, MO
14. Cape Girardeau, MO
15. Columbia, MO
16. Jefferson City, MO
17. Springfield, IL
18. Bloomington/Normal, IL
19. Peoria, IL
20. Carbondale, IL
21. Terre Haute, IN
22. Gary, IN
23. Toledo, OH
24. Dayton, OH
25. Flint, MI
26. Sault Ste. Marie, MI
27. Champaign/Urbana, IL
28. Youngstown, OH
29. Green Bay, WI
30. Madison, WI
31. Wisconsin Dells, WI
32. Evansville, IN

How in the world could you not list Fort Wayne, South Bend, Indiana, but you could put Terre Haute? and how about some other ones everyones heard of.. kalamazoo Michigan?? Akron Ohio?? and how about Rockford Illinois, does that ring a bell? it should over bloomington, or youngstown anyways...

Old 04-04-2008, 07:17 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
what can I say I drove through there about ten years ago on a Wisconsin Dells vacation and it didn't seem incredibly special to me, although that's just my opinion, people are certainly welcome to debate it. It was a nice city though, don't get me wrong.
"Driving through" usually doesn't give one a good sense of a city, particiularly since when you drive thru most cities, you are on some ugly freeway that takes you thru sprawlville. (Guessing you were probably on I-94, I-90 or US 151/12. To know Madison, you have to get off the highway, go right to the center of town, by the capitol, the campus, State Street, Willy Street, the lakes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.