Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:36 PM

71 posts, read 424,408 times

Advertisements

If your looking for a music scene, I would suggest Nashville. My brother is big into music and moved to Nashville a few years ago and he absolutely loves it there. There are a lot of opportunities to break into the music industry there and the people there really appreciate their music...all kinds, not just country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 AM

204 posts, read 1,484,985 times
I wonder did the OP ever make a final decision? Would love to know where they ended up.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:23 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I really like Portland Oregon the best.

I've been to Austin, and I dont get the appeal. It has a great reputation, but I think it gets that reputation because of whats around it. I found the city to look really bland, and the music scene isn't exactly worldclass like its suppose to be, you also dont have great bands playing in little clubs all the time like what I've heard. Granted I dont know Austin outside of a few days visit, but I was really disappointed.

I lived in Portland for a year, and I remember the first time I visited there (about six months before I moved there), and I was incredibly impressed on day 1, and it just got better and better as I later got to know it from living there.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 26,136 times
Default Well, to answer your questions...

We ended up in Portland. After all the considerations, we ended up going with the place that had the best weather. Then again, since being here we've seen some snow and heat that we didn't really expect, but it hasn't been nearly as depressing as many people make it out to be. We live in the suburbs in Beaverton, housing is more affordable and we don't mind driving into Portland to do the more fun activities. I imagine job markets aren't great no matter where you go, and we do at least both have jobs, so we're better off than many. Would we be able to afford Austin or Nashville more easily? That's hard to tell, but we've been to the ocean several times here, something we couldn't do as easily in either of those other places. Plus, our car broke down when we got here so being able to get around with mass transit turned out to be a huge plus.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APonBass View Post
We ended up in Portland. After all the considerations, we ended up going with the place that had the best weather. Then again, since being here we've seen some snow and heat that we didn't really expect, but it hasn't been nearly as depressing as many people make it out to be. We live in the suburbs in Beaverton, housing is more affordable and we don't mind driving into Portland to do the more fun activities. I imagine job markets aren't great no matter where you go, and we do at least both have jobs, so we're better off than many. Would we be able to afford Austin or Nashville more easily? That's hard to tell, but we've been to the ocean several times here, something we couldn't do as easily in either of those other places. Plus, our car broke down when we got here so being able to get around with mass transit turned out to be a huge plus.

Then Im glad you enjoy it here, and I hope it works out for you.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:01 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Oh hey, it's the rare followup post. Sounds like things worked out great for you guys.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
Never been to Portland(definately a cool place though), but Austin is an absolute gem for 20 somethings. I'd strongly suggest that you at least fly down to Austin for a weekend or so to scout it out. It's one of those cities that you'll know immediately if it's for you...and if it is, then there's nothing else that'll even come close. If you like places that are relaxed yet ecclectic and offbeat, you'll think that it's amazing. Drive out to Mt. Bonnel/Mopac and check out the gorgeous and surprising Hill Country scenery, watch the bats fly out from underneith the Congress Ave. bridge at 7pm, check out the goofy little shops and restaurants along South Congress, grab a cupcake at Hey Cupcake!, catch some shows along 6th street/the warehouse district, and then spend the next day napping in Zilker Park and swimming at Barton Springs. I love Austin. It's also a stone's throw to San Antonio, which can feel like stepping into another country at times and is another amazing city, and Houston is a simple drive for truly big city opportunities. It's land locked..but not really, Lake Travis is gorgeous and nicer than some east coast beaches IMHO. Nashville is next on my to do list, but I would think that Austin has it thoroughly beat for fun factor and livability outside of the equally interesting music scenes. Portland is going to be the priciest but it draws a lot of parallels to Austin, and it kind of seems like a slightly older/less college-centric place. I'd keep it down to Portland for slightly more mature offerings and cooler weather, and Austin for more 20ish mentality and warmer temps.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 02-01-2010 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
I will tell you what I and many others in the Portland Forum repeat quite often for 'newcomer-wannabees': You must either have a job secured BEFORE you move here, or have at least two years' worth of funds to live on, because the job situation here IS really that bad! Jobs have never been plentiful in this area even during the nation's better economic times. But it's a pathetic state right now, with hundreds of over-qualified people applying for low entry-level positions. And restaurants ~ which Portland is notorius for ~ have finally seen hard times, with many of them closing.

Portland definitely has a big music scene. We have one of the largest blues associations, and highest number of blues bands, in the nation. Lots of indie/alternative sounds (don't know about country). But a lot of these musicians have parttime/daytime jobs.

And, yes, the cost of living is a concern. But it probably is in Austin and Nashville, too.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:21 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
i have a buddy, who was my soux chef. very talented. after graduation from western culinary institute, he decided to remain in portland. that lasted slightly more than a year, before he deceided to move to chattanooga. he couldn't do very well there, consequently, he went to louisville, where he took a position as the executive chef for the baptist thelogical seminary. he didn't make it a year. he hated the work, the enviornment and louisville in general. finally, he hit nashville and decided to take a position in a place i recommended, the boar's head. he worked part time at a waffle joint. he like the upscale restaurant, but he didn't care for nashville. last, but not least, he made it to austin, where he found all things wonderful. he is originally from jonesboro, arkansas, and i honestly think he was homesick and coming to terms w/ being gay, after being married about a year-and -a-half. eventually, after arriving in austin, he got himself on regular doses of an anti-depressant.

i believe the anti-depressant was the key to the whole thing---not so much the cities involved. he really speaks highly of the food scene in austin, as well as the live music. i don't knowl i think a little more time is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.