Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:03 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenHighways View Post
Has anybody here actually been to Phoenix? It doesn't sound like it. Its all retirees? Um no. Its not. There are no jobs? Again. Not true.
Ive been to Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 12:20 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
It's Dallas imo...

Old 11-01-2018, 12:34 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Has anybody here actually been to Phoenix? It doesn't sound like it. Its all retirees? Um no. Its not. There are no jobs? Again. Not true.
I live here and although Phoenix is changing quite a bit, it does carry a reputation for being prime 1990s suburbia. Some neighborhoods like Downtown and North Tempe are improving significantly, but we are still behind compared to many other cities and ahead of many others.

Phoenix doesn’t really have a big diverse economy like other similarly sized cities and we do get a ton of retirees, but so does Florida. It is an issue of ours on the job front.

Phoenix has a young population but it’s mostly blue collar and lower class Millennials. Nothing wrong with that, but this is different from upper class professional Millennials (yuppies). Lots of younger people here but they tend to get married in their early to mid twenties, settle with kids before their 30s. If you aren’t in this lifestyle it could be hard to meet someone.

Nonetheless Phoenix is getting expensive for local wages so if you want to own a piece of land maybe don’t look in drought-prone super arid desert where if you aren’t in a town or city you can forget about a sustainable water supply. Rural areas are the only place for affordable single family homes on their own land these days and buying rural in Arizona is a HUGE gamble. Try places back east or Midwest like Kentucky and Iowa where water is more accessible outside of certain pockets of the state.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:39 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Ive lived here for 10 years. South Scottsdale specifically. What you described is completely not true.
I dont even remember describing Phoenix........i think other posters said that about Phoenix....I did not say Phoenix was all retirees and no jobs..I am sorry for the mixup.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:46 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquireoncities View Post
Great points! To clarify, I meant places/destinations for a more conservative millennial in pursuit of the nuclear family.......
Checkout the Sacramento Area: Sacramento a is cross between Portland and Austin.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:49 PM

Vegas and Phoenix tend to be the popular relocation spots for Southern Californians.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Ive lived here for 10 years. South Scottsdale specifically. What you described is completely not true.
I liked Carefree, AZ when I visited, and I have relatives in Surprise and Glendale and they have huge families (they're Mormon)

Old 11-01-2018, 10:12 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Great points! To clarify, I meant places/destinations for a more conservative millennial in pursuit of the nuclear family, and definitely less of the type who treasures self exploration/farmer's markets.
Ah, I see. In that case I would modify my earlier comment. I think you may be talking about people who are born/raised in LA and can’t afford to buy a home in the neighborhood their parents could afford, because the type of person you are describing doesn’t really, to me, fit the mould of someone who would move to LA nowadays from elsewhere, though I’m sure some “conservative” millenials do move there for various reasons, due to its sheer size. For the former, I would say Riverside/SB/Inland Empire would be by far the number one choice, followed by Sacramento, and then Phoenix.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Southern California traffic is through the roof, home ownership (and renting) is unattainable for most, and there's a multitude of political hot buttons...

Which metro area/city provides the most direct band-aid to the problems faced by young people in Southern California? Where should they flee in hopes of attaining the American Dream? Is it Phoenix? Dallas, or some other place?
These places are great places to raise a family all within the Sacramento Metro: Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln, Auburn; Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, Placerville; Elk Grove, Galt; West Sacramento, Davis...most of these places are within 20 minutes to 1/2 hour of Downtown Sacramento.

Best Cities to Raise a Family in California -- Folsom #1
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...ifornia/15993/

BTW, Sacramento is in ultra liberal NorCal and Sac City itself is very liberal/democratic with one of the most diverse and integrated racial populations in the country. Sacramento has a large percentage of mixed racial families.

At the same time, the Sacramento Metro has of some of the most moderate to conservative cities in California.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-01-2018 at 11:02 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 02:20 PM

Somebody asked to elaborate more on somewhere closer to Sacramento's downtown/midtown/urban core.

In my post above, most of those cities/places are not in the city limits of Sacramento or not in the immediate neighborhoods located next to the downtown/midtown/urban core. So here is a list of more polished/safe places within Sacramento City or closer to Sacramento City.

City of Sacramento Neighborhoods-all within City limits:
McKinley Park
East Sacramento
Curtis Park
Land Park
South Land Park
The Pocket
Green haven

West Sacramento-Is Directly across the Sacramento River from downtown, but it is its own incorporated City in Yolo County.

Arden-Arcade - these neighborhoods are adjacent to Sac city limits but technically not in the city limits but these neighborhoods all have Sacramento addresses (unincorporated Sacramento County). Nobody actually has an "Arden-Arcade" address, rather their address would be "Sacramento". The only way you would know that that Sacramento address is not in the city limits is to look at a map, or if they said they were in "the Arden Area", or "Arden-Arcade", but a lot of people never even use the term "Arden-Arcade", I don't, it's weird. It's about 150,000 people that really should just be incorporated into the City Limits of Sacramento.
Sierra Oaks
Howe/University
Fair Oaks Blvd
American River Drive - all of it.
Arden Oaks
Arden Park
Arden Hills
Garden of the Gods
Country Club Area
El Camino Area
Del Paso Manor

Carmichael - a little further out from "Arden-Arcade" also in unincorporated Sacramento County, but if you actually live in Carmichael your address will say "Carmichael", not "Sacramento". But Carmichael is not an incorporated city.

Fair Oaks - a little further out from "Arden-Arcade" also in unincorporated Sacramento County, but if you actually live in Fair Oaks your address will say ""Fair Oaks", not "Sacramento". But Fair Oaks is not an incorporated city.

Orangevale - a little further out from "Fair Oaks" also in unincorporated Sacramento County, but if you actually live in Orangevale your address will say "Orangevale", not "Sacramento". But Orangevale is not an incorporated city.

Citrus Heights - a little further out from Carmichael, this is its own city, an incorporated city within Sacramento County.

Rancho Cordova - further out from the Core, this is its own city, an incorporated city within Sacramento County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.