Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 07:51 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times

Advertisements

Self-explanatory title but lets break this into two categories:

1) Lowest COL where you would be willing to live for the next 2 years.
2) Lowest COL where you would be willing to live for the rest of your life.

You can give specific neighborhoods if you'd like, or multiple answers if it's hard to discern which is the "lowest" COL.

I think my answers would be --

1) Cleveland
2) Philadelphia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 08:08 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
I can't think of two especially for #2 but for #1, I've always liked Denver. The jobs seem to pay pretty well, good job market, still access to lots of amenities that are comparable to what you would find in larger cities, educated workforce, etc.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:18 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Does that include transportation? Sometimes, housing cost is offset by the ease of not having a car.

Philly and Chicago are examples of win-win on that one.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:44 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Apparently, my idea of affordable and low cost is drastically different than others. If I can't get into a good neighborhood for around 150k, preferably less than 100k, then I'm out. A place to sleep a few hours a night really shouldn't the biggest expense in my budget, at least not by the margin by which it is.
Not too happy with how society operates on that one.
Kansas City, I could see for at least a couple of years. Maybe a place in western Michigan. I've seen some places in the southwest that aren't ridiculously priced, but that heat and lack of water is concerning.
Milwaukee, I could settle down more long term in.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:27 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Going by this COL metro data:
https://www.ngpf.org/blog/chart-of-t...our-community/

2 years: not picky, maybe Boise or Cleveland

Rest of my life: I don't feel old enough to settle down, but if I had to pick then I guess Philly or Portland

Old 12-03-2018, 07:07 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Does that include transportation? Sometimes, housing cost is offset by the ease of not having a car.
It includes whatever you want. The question is open to interpretation. But I personally would include that...it's definitely a part of what my overall cost of living would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Apparently, my idea of affordable and low cost is drastically different than others. If I can't get into a good neighborhood for around 150k, preferably less than 100k, then I'm out. A place to sleep a few hours a night really shouldn't the biggest expense in my budget, at least not by the margin by which it is.
Not too happy with how society operates on that one.
Kansas City, I could see for at least a couple of years. Maybe a place in western Michigan. I've seen some places in the southwest that aren't ridiculously priced, but that heat and lack of water is concerning.
Milwaukee, I could settle down more long term in.
It's not so much having a different "idea of affordable and low cost" it's just that many of us have different levels of amenities we are willing to live with. Some folks not only are willing to live with less/cheaper areas, but they even prefer it. You may be one of them. I was considering much lower cost answers for my #1 like Des Moines or Chattanooga but ultimately decided we wouldn't choose to live there if we could help it.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:46 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
That is the same answer I was thinking of!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
1. Richmond, VA
2. San Diego, CA

Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Couple of things to keep in mind here.

Rural does not necessarily mean low COL. In many cases, rural areas and small towns may only have one provider of something, driving costs up.

Overall, the cost of living where I was in Indianapolis is about the same as it was in my part of Tennessee, but the economy around Indianapolis is much better than where I am.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:54 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Fortunately, I live in a low COL area that my wife and I love and have no intentions of leaving (Charlotte).

Other low COL areas that I think I could live in and be happy would be: Tampa, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, Chicago, Kansas City, San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.