Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:22 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times

Advertisements

Apple's Second Campus: Where?

Apple has announced that it plans to scout out a new location to put its second campus. Apple states that it would create 20,000 positions and its investment value will exceed $350 Billion towards the U.S. economy (meaning they are looking for only U.S. locations, not Canada and Mexico). Apple will announce "later" this year on where it has decided to put its second campus. In addition to that, Apple has also mentioned that it could reach full build-out of this second campus within 5 years after announcing a location.

There will be no poll in this thread but feel free to engage in discussions that outline which city would be best suited for Apple's second campus.

Apple to build second campus, hire 20,000 in $350B pledge | Boston Herald

I'm no fan of Amazon and wouldn't want its HQ2 in my city but I am a big fan of Apple and would definitely would like it in my city if there was a chance for it.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-17-2018 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 12:33 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Apple's Second Campus: Where?

Apple has announced that it plans to scout out a new location to put its second campus. Apple states that it would create 20,000 positions and its investment value will exceed $350 Billion in the chosen city. Apple will announce "later" this year on where it has decided to put its second campus. In addition to that, Apple has also mentioned that it could reach full build-out of this second campus within 5 years after announcing a location.

There will be no poll in this thread but feel free to engage in discussions that outline which city would be best suited for Apple's second campus.

Apple to build second campus, hire 20,000 in $350B pledge | Boston Herald

I'm no fan of Amazon and wouldn't want its HQ2 in my city but I am a big fan of Apple and would definitely would like it in my city if there was a chance for it.
The $350 billion is its forcasted overall contribution to the US economy, not just the city where it will put another campus.

Not sure why having an Apple campus would be any better than Amazon, Silicon Valley and places like Cupertino probably have to me the most overpriced places on earth for what they offer and it's mainly because of tech.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The $350 billion is its forcasted overall contribution to the US economy, not just the city where it will put another campus.

Not sure why having an Apple campus would be any better than Amazon, Silicon Valley and places like Cupertino probably have to me the most overpriced places on earth for what they offer and it's mainly because of tech.
I made the proper edit on the $350 Billion figure.

I expect Apple to be offered incentives as well by numerous cities and states but because they haven't made it into an open field competition, it should keep a lid on the craziness that Amazon's HQ2 search has dealt with so far. Things should, at the very minimum, be far more private and selective than the open competition for Amazon's HQ2.

I personally like Apple more as a company, not just because my cousins work there in Cupertino but also because to me, it is a more recognizable brand and I believe the far richer company. I also have a crush on computer manufacturing companies/smart television manufacturing companies that double up on software and program development. Love Apple's hardware too. Would be an exceptional feather in any city's cap IMO.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM

411 posts, read 720,204 times
Unlike Amazon:
1) this campus is not a second HQ with 50k employees, but a smaller satellite campus similar to what Apple already has in Austin
2) knowing Apple, the campus won't be in the middle of downtown or an urban core, but will instead be a large sprawling suburban office park

As for where it'll be, probably a similar list as the top candidates for Amazon HQ2. Not sure if Apple will try to locate it in the same or different MSA as HQ2

Old 01-17-2018, 01:47 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
Unlike Amazon:
1) this campus is not a second HQ with 50k employees, but a smaller satellite campus similar to what Apple already has in Austin
2) knowing Apple, the campus won't be in the middle of downtown or an urban core, but will instead be a large sprawling suburban office park

As for where it'll be, probably a similar list as the top candidates for Amazon HQ2. Not sure if Apple will try to locate it in the same or different MSA as HQ2
I would doubt that as the facility will be for customer support and employ what amounts to call center workers who will not be receiving the kind of payroll seen in the tech divisions and would largely be unable to afford rent in the front runner cities like DC, Boston or even Atlanta...not to mention the return on investment on a customer service facility just isn't there like it is for development or IT. I do agree it would probably be an office park campus in a suburban location, most likely in the Sunbelt region. I would guess cities like Charlotte, Jacksonville, Raleigh-Durham or San Antonio would mesh in terms of population/labor pool, cost of living and potential lease dollars per square foot.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:52 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Tim Cook did get his MBA from Duke and does visit Durham and the campus every so often, so maybe the Triangle, after Amazon doesn't pick it for its HQ2?

Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 PM

Imagine them choosing the exact same metropolis for their second major campus that Amazon chooses for its HQ2.

ROFLOL Hahahahahahahaha.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:57 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Amazon was easier to speculate about, because if its RFP. For Apple, you can include any of the usual suspects that people bandy about for Amazon as well as places like Raleigh or Columbus.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:01 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Imagine them choosing the exact same metropolis for their second major campus that Amazon chooses for its HQ2.

ROFLOL Hahahahahahahaha.
The absolute come up that city would have lol. It's not likely what so ever, but I'd love to see a small city (200k-500k) get both just to see how it transforms the place.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:24 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The absolute come up that city would have lol. It's not likely what so ever, but I'd love to see a small city (200k-500k) get both just to see how it transforms the place.
Wouldn't it be pretty cool if they decided on a city like Detroit? What a comeback story, and a marketable one at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.