Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 05:09 AM

16 posts, read 18,856 times

Advertisements

Allow me to explain... I am a single male in his late 20s who prefers suburb-oriented living, as in ample parking and polished inorganic safe feeling places, but I also want to live somewhere that attracts energetic people, commerce, culture, and entertainment. I realize that this is somewhat of a contradiction.

Therefore, I would like to find somewhere that has the “easy living” of a suburb like Scottsdale, but the “energy” of somewhere like Portland (or take you pick, Nashville, Boulder, Austin, etc). Does such a place exist? A compromise of sorts between these worlds.... “faux urban” on a significant scale. Or a true urban city with a very polished suburban feel.

Last edited by laguy1059; 12-27-2018 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 05:50 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Check out Tampa, specifically the South Tampa neighborhoods of Hyde Park and the Channel District.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:27 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Aurora, IL. Far west suburb of Chicago.

Front Page - Aurora Downtown | SSA #One | Aurora, Ill

Old 12-28-2018, 01:24 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
A lot Sunbelt cities or at least neighborhoods within them would look like this. The Woodlands in Houston. The Domain in Austin. The Gulch in Nashville. Buckhead in Atlanta. Tysons, VA. I'm sure get a lot of hate for these three, but Bethesda, MD; Rockville, MD; and Arlington, VA also.

The biggest hate I'll get is probably for Charlotte, NC.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:45 PM

389 posts, read 596,206 times
Some of the Houston suburbs like Sugar Land and the Woodlands might fit the bill.

Also, perhaps Irvine, California (and really much of South Orange County).

Old 12-29-2018, 05:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Some of the Houston suburbs like Sugar Land and the Woodlands might fit the bill.

Also, perhaps Irvine, California (and really much of South Orange County).
Irvine and most of OC doesn't really have any urbanness at all to it though.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:38 PM

389 posts, read 596,206 times
Another thought is the Mueller community in Austin.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:02 AM

333 posts, read 240,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laguy1059 View Post
Allow me to explain... I am a single male in his late 20s who prefers suburb-oriented living, as in ample parking and polished inorganic safe feeling places, but I also want to live somewhere that attracts energetic people, commerce, culture, and entertainment. I realize that this is somewhat of a contradiction.

Therefore, I would like to find somewhere that has the “easy living” of a suburb like Scottsdale, but the “energy” of somewhere like Portland (or take you pick, Nashville, Boulder, Austin, etc). Does such a place exist? A compromise of sorts between these worlds.... “faux urban” on a significant scale. Or a true urban city with a very polished suburban feel.
Nashville has a bunch of these neighborhoods. Green Hills would be a good choice, Someone else mentioned the gulch.

I think East Nashville, perhaps? There may be a few safety issues, but that largely depends on the street/neighborhood . Same with somewhere like Seminole Heights in Tampa. Largely suburban, but still energetic .

The Woodlands in Houston is great .

Old 12-30-2018, 09:35 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
A lot Sunbelt cities or at least neighborhoods within them would look like this. The Woodlands in Houston. The Domain in Austin. The Gulch in Nashville. Buckhead in Atlanta. Tysons, VA. I'm sure get a lot of hate for these three, but Bethesda, MD; Rockville, MD; and Arlington, VA also.

The biggest hate I'll get is probably for Charlotte, NC.
Not at all. Any of these cities will have neighborhoods that fit the bill, although in Atlanta Alpharetta would probably strike a better balance between urban energy and suburban amenities.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowCnoECAYQBg

Planned communities with a CBD like Orlando's Baldwin Park might work as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOYpmh4WPw

Old 12-30-2018, 10:45 AM

10,063 posts, read 14,434,667 times
I'd say suburbs like Sandy Springs, GA (Atlanta metro), Franklin, TN (Nashville metro) or Fairfax, VA (Washington DC metro).

These are all affluent, growing, suburban and cultured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.