Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities should I leave Los Angeles for?
Sacramento 11 42.31%
Phoenix 5 19.23%
Dallas 4 15.38%
Portland 4 15.38%
Somewhere else, like the Research Triangle 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:10 AM

122 posts, read 167,876 times

Advertisements

Part of what makes Sacramento the best choice is how close it is to the SF Bay Area and its big metro amenities. San Francisco is only a 90 minute drive, with Oakland and Berkeley even less. That's basically the same as driving from the Connecticut suburbs to Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 12:42 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needthecityexperts View Post
I have lived in Los Angeles for all of my 29 years and would like a change. I hope to live somewhere with cheaper real estate, less traffic, and more down to Earth people. No where is perfect, and I appreciate LA for it’s scenery, vistas, weather, and abundant resources, but I feel like I can find a better long term fit for me. I am a single male and my business can be moved, no problem. I am politically moderate.

These are the only cities that I am considering in no particular order:
-Sacramento
-Dallas
-Portland
-Phoenix
Even if you don’t like any of these for yourself, or want to suggest somewhere else, I am SET on it being one of these 4 cities. So, whichever you feel like is the best fit or has the brightest future. Thank you for your input!
Quote:
MRJones17– Which other cities do you feel are a better fit? I’m open to suggestions
I’ll add that I eliminated the Bay Area because of cost, Austin because of traffic/rising housing costs/small town feel, Houston because of Hurricanes and general criticisms of safety and aesthetics, awesome places like the East Coast and Denver because of the cold/snow, Florida because of humidity, bugs, materialism, Carolinas because they seem to stack up poorly to Phoenix/Dallas/Sacramento/Portland. Atlanta was the only other outlier/longshot that I saw working. I do consider outdoors to be important. I actually find Dallas to be more aesthetic than Phoenix because it is a lot less brown and dry looking. Portland and then the Sacramento foothills and nearby areas are seemingly very far ahead in that category,
If utilizing those criteria the Carolinas exceed everything on your shortlist, so quite the opposite of stacking up poorly.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given your criteria Sacramento makes the most sense in my opinion given it's less congested/traffic filled than the other three, less expensive than Portland or Dallas and politically more moderate than Phoenix. I would venture to say Sacramento wins the more friendly category as well.
I agree with this.

I used to live in LA(mostly Los Feliz, Hancock Park, Hollywood, Santa Monica). Went to Glendale College and UCLA.

I live in Sacramento and Love it. I liken Sacramento as a combined Portland and Austin.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:51 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Texas and even Dallas are not void of outdoor activities and there's a lot of greenery, trails and water recreation options. Way more than people give it credit for.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:40 AM

6 posts, read 3,903 times
I added a poll. Thanks

Old 01-19-2019, 08:42 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
The one with the best tacos!!!

Old 01-19-2019, 08:46 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Sacramento or Portland based on weather. Go spend a week in Phoenix and Dallas during July or August before deciding to move there.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:56 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Lot of complaints against a lot of cities. I'm not sure you'll be happy anywhere.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 3,903 times
I still have to try! Everything in life is give/take/sacrifices

Old 01-20-2019, 09:41 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
Quote:
I actually find Dallas to be more aesthetic than Phoenix because it is a lot less brown and dry looking. Portland and then the Sacramento foothills and nearby areas are seemingly very far ahead in that category.
If you consider "brown" and "dry-looking" to be cons, which most Americans do, then I suggest you remove Phoenix for your list of options. Phoenix is one of the driest, brownest cities in the entire nation, although the Sonoran Desert features more natural vegetation and receives more abundant precipitation than the Mohave Desert of inland Southern California and southern Nevada (e.g., Las Vegas, Barstow, Baker, etc.).

Additionally, Phoenix has extremely hot summers during which daily high temperatures consistently exceed 100 degrees from around May 10 to October 10. When the summer monsoon begins around July 1, it will be 102 degrees with 40% humidity. Thus, participating in outdoor activities during this time of year can be downright dangerous, never mind non-enjoyable.

And while winters in Phoenix are mild by national standards, the metropolitan area still gets cold from December 1 to March 1, especially during the overnight hours. In my perspective, winter does not provide much respite from the scorching hot summers like it does in Florida, which is consistently warm throughout the winter months.

If abundant greenery and varied topography are important considerations in your search for a new city, then I recommend you investigate Atlanta. Atlanta has a number direct, nonstop flights to Los Angeles and is a highly forested city with plenty of freshwater (e.g., creeks, rivers, lakes, etc.), gently rolling hills and a mild four-season climate. I am convinced that the area in and around the Atlanta metropolitan area would be a natural preserve, if the city and its environs did not exist.

Also, the Atlanta metropolitan area has one the largest, most diversified economies in the United States. Therefore, the chances of you being more gainfully employed in Atlanta are much higher than in Portland (relatively small economy with a saturated talent pool), Sacramento (government-based economy) and especially Phoenix (service-oriented economy).

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 01-20-2019 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.