Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 04:27 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,339 times

Advertisements

There are always people on here asking where they should move. I enjoy reading those posts. I was wondering if anyone here moved based on this forums recommendations? If so how did it work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 08:09 AM

481 posts, read 422,304 times
The ultimate question

Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
I’ve always wondered this!!!

If anyone ever has, I’d love to hear how that worked out for you!

There’s a lot of good information on this board, and you can really learn a lot sometimes. But the reverse is also true as well! Haha

Old 01-20-2019, 09:16 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Nuggets of useful info exist in the threads, but it takes a lot of reading to sift through the other posts. Always, the strong biases people have must be considered, not to mention vested interests, such as RE agents who recently moved to new “territory” spouting all-favorable comments about their new hunting grounds.

Comments about perceived friendliness or unfriendliness must get an extra-sharp scrutiny, since those are so highly colored by where someone grew up and has lived before.

I have never used Internet fora to choose where to live.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:12 PM

401 posts, read 331,321 times
Ha! Good and interesting question. You get some crazy "musts" and requests in some of the OP "wish lists" and some crazy answers in return but always fun to read. I once made the mistake of starting a tongue-in-cheek thread with the most outrageous and conflicting wishes, thinking that everybody would know it was a spoof of the many threads I had read but immediately had to apologize as I was receiving earnest answers. It turned out to be a good thread, though with so many interesting 'takes' on the whole question and I 'met' so many intelligent and kind people who responded.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
From what I've seen, a lot of people use this forum as a help desk for relocation advice. Once they relocate, they don't return, because they got the advice they needed. For that reason, you probably won't get a representative sample.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:32 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Years ago, I got a lot of thumbs up on this forum about the place I was interested in moving to. Inversely, there were also a lot of key details that were left out, that I wished I had known of.

With "help" of the exaggerated pros, and absent cons, I followed through and moved to the new location. It ended up being a mistake and poor choice.

Though there is much helpful information here, sometimes a distorted impression of an area does get sent out, and people end up moving to place where they shouldn't have gone. I'm sure it's a much smaller percentage than those who benefit with the information they really need, but it does unfortunately happen.

Now I take what I've learned, and try to balance the ledger of the glowing information, and fill in the gaps of missing critical information, for the benefit of others. My loss can be their gain.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-22-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.