Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 02:01 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,106 times

Advertisements

With rising sea levels and many parts of the west experiencing droughts, it seems like there is one region in the US that might come out just fine when it comes to climate change.

The Great Lakes. Why? Here is why:

- Plenty of freshwater abound. Rivers, the great lakes themselves and aquifers. These states, especially coastal cities won't be running out water anytime soon.

-Risk of droughts are super low. They region per change might get less precipitation, but not enough to turn it into a desert.

-Rising sea levels will have no impacts, even on the coastal cities of the Great Lakes.

-No increase in hurricanes.

-No earthquakes (except for the areas closer to New Madrid)

Is it just me or do the Great Lakes cities and region look like the safest bet to you right now with climate change and what not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,037,445 times
Probably yes

Old 03-14-2019, 02:55 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,679,368 times
Yeah isn't this why a lot of people are betting Michigan will be the place to be in the next 100 years lol.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:49 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Yeah isn't this why a lot of people are betting Michigan will be the place to be in the next 100 years lol.
Guess I'll plan to move back to Michigan then.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 AM

1,351 posts, read 898,728 times
I'm not really in the Great Lakes region, but not far from it, and it feels like the weather has been trying to kill us for the last 2 years. Floods, tornadoes, record blizzards, scorching heat. Climate change is not a friend to the northern Plains.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:55 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,072,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I'm not really in the Great Lakes region, but not far from it, and it feels like the weather has been trying to kill us for the last 2 years. Floods, tornadoes, record blizzards, scorching heat. Climate change is not a friend to the northern Plains.
I suppose I can't speak for the entire Great Lakes region but can tell you in Michigan our weather hasn't fluctuated that much. The biggest difference is that over the last few years December has been warmer than normal and April has been colder than normal so it's like winter has shifted by a month. Outside of that our weather patterns have been fairly consistent. We do get tornado's(we've always gotten them). The differences between our tornado's and plains tornado's is that they tend to be far weaker. Storm systems typically follow a west to east track and Lake Michigan usually weakens systems as they cross. We only get strong damaging storms every 3-4 years, and a tornado that causes enough damage to injure people about once every 10-20 years. It will be interesting to see if there is enough of a weather pattern shift for people to move toward our abundant water resources.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:53 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I suppose I can't speak for the entire Great Lakes region but can tell you in Michigan our weather hasn't fluctuated that much. The biggest difference is that over the last few years December has been warmer than normal and April has been colder than normal so it's like winter has shifted by a month. Outside of that our weather patterns have been fairly consistent. We do get tornado's(we've always gotten them). The differences between our tornado's and plains tornado's is that they tend to be far weaker. Storm systems typically follow a west to east track and Lake Michigan usually weakens systems as they cross. We only get strong damaging storms every 3-4 years, and a tornado that causes enough damage to injure people about once every 10-20 years. It will be interesting to see if there is enough of a weather pattern shift for people to move toward our abundant water resources.
Agreed. I feel in Chicago we are experiencing perhaps gloomier yet milder winters (although this winter was an exception). But outside of that, the weather in Chicago hasn't drastically changed.

I also agree with you that it seems like winter weather starts a little bit later nowadays but also ends a little later. I remember growing up in Chicago April used to be awesome weather. Nowadays April is a crapshoot.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 AM

724 posts, read 561,427 times
Probably in hundreds of years. We'll all be long gone by then.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:53 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Climate change would benefit a lot of *future* people, since there are huge areas of land that are locked in pretty hostile cold climate conditions. Raising the global temperature by ~5C, would probably increase the total habitable land area for humans, despite the coastal areas getting flooded.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:04 AM

5,363 posts, read 5,141,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
2018 was actually one of the calmest tornado years on record: https://www.usnews.com/news/national...9-up-from-2018

I think if this winter showed us anything, it's that the good ole winters of the northern US really did suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Climate change would benefit a lot of *future* people, since there are huge areas of land that are locked in pretty hostile cold climate conditions. Raising the global temperature by ~5C, would probably increase the total habitable land area for humans, despite the coastal areas getting flooded.
Exactly. In the short run it may cost more due to coastal flooding, but in the long run, it will be better because of more habitable land for animals, plants, and humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.