Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

For me, A Love Song for Bobby Long perfectly captures the ambiance and feel of New Orleans.
https://youtu.be/4ve-nxuX_sg

It's one of my favorite movies because it shows the every day, unglamorous life of so many types of people who gravitate to that place.

What movie really captures a place you know well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Vertigo, Dirty Harry films = San Francisco
Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil = Savannah
The Big Easy = New Orleans
Top Gun = San Diego
Laurel Canyon = Los Angeles
My Best Friend's Wedding = Chicago
Urban Cowboy = Houston
Hannah and Her Sisters = New York
Mystic River = Boston
Rocky = Philadelphia
Hairspray = Baltimore
Driving Miss Daisy = Atlanta
Singles, Sleepless In Seattle = Seattle

Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Vertigo, Dirty Harry films = San Francisco
Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil = Savannah
The Big Easy = New Orleans
Top Gun = San Diego
Laurel Canyon = Los Angeles
My Best Friend's Wedding = Chicago
Urban Cowboy = Houston
Hannah and Her Sisters = New York
Mystic River = Boston
Rocky = Philadelphia
Hairspray = Baltimore
Driving Miss Daisy = Atlanta
Singles, Sleepless In Seattle = Seattle
My uncle plays a part in The Big Easy - LOL! I almost put it but in my mind Love Song for Bobby Long captures New Orleans PERFECTLY.

I totally agree about Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and Savannah. Good one.

I also almost mentioned Mystic River for Boston - that's a good call.

Personally, I don't really think that Driving Miss Daisy gives off an Atlanta vibe.

I thought of another one! The Deer Hunter - Pittsburg.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:00 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Personally, I don't really think that Driving Miss Daisy gives off an Atlanta vibe.
Not present-day Atlanta. Many of the scenes were filmed in nearby Griffin, GA to try and capture a post WWII vibe.
I grew up in Druid Hills in the 60's and thought they captured the feel of the neighborhood quite well.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,328,176 times
DISCLAIMER- I TYPED THIS RESPONSE BEFORE READING THE THREAD TITLE AGAIN & UNDERSTANDING THE EXACT PURPOSE- MY RESPONSE WENT A DIFFERENT DIRECTION

Believe it or not- The Sandlot, now the movie was made in 1993, but the time period in the movie is 1962.

There are multiple scenes in the movie that I could point out, but there are (2) that stand out for different reasons and they're-

1- The "team" is about to play a night game on the 4th of July. It's a huge neighborhood cook-out, fireworks, etc...They have fun, ride rides, try chew for the 1st time, etc... The reason this reminds me of "America" is simply because this scene low-key represented freedom, community, etc...

2- Near the end of the movie, "Smalls" goes to get the ball from the owner of the dreaded monster dog. Turns out the dog is super great, etc... But here is why this scene stands out to me: "Smalls" is a young white kid, "Mertle" turns out to be a former professional baseball player, who played with Babe Ruth, oh yeah and he's African American. This is a huge deal, because in the movie this meant that Mertle played ball in 1927, this is before Jackie Robinson, and the big movement, so being an african-american playing baseball at that time, and still in 1962 being African american wasn't a stroll in the park. Also of significance, in 1962 (year the movie is set), John "Buck" O'Neil became the first African-American coach in Major League baseball after joining the staff of the Chicago Cubs. I'm not trying to focus solely on a racial story in the movie, but to me there was purpose/significance behind this part.

Sorry for the rant, and technically off-topic. But I had enough typed to say screw it and post anyway

Old 05-08-2019, 10:09 AM

994 posts, read 783,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My uncle plays a part in The Big Easy - LOL! I almost put it but in my mind Love Song for Bobby Long captures New Orleans PERFECTLY.

I totally agree about Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and Savannah. Good one.

I also almost mentioned Mystic River for Boston - that's a good call.

I thought of another one! The Deer Hunter - Pittsburg.
Most of the Deer Hunter was shot in Cleveland (Tremont/Industrial Valley), with some scenes shot in small steel towns in Ohio/West Virginia.

But more I think about it, that's pretty common. Kill the Irishman about Cleveland labor leader/mobster Danny Green was shot in Detroit. Then White Boy Rick, about Detroit drug dealer Rick Wershe Jr., was shot in Cleveland.

Then there is Christmas Story, which was supposed to be in Chicago, was shot in Tremont (with the Christmas Story house is still a tourist attraction). And Major League, IMO, the best sports comedy of all-time about the Cleveland Indians was mostly shot in Milwaukee (with cutaway shots of Cleveland ... and again Tremont).

Last edited by ClevelandBrown; 05-08-2019 at 10:17 AM..

Old 05-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Most of the Deer Hunter was shot in Cleveland (Tremont/Industrial Valley), with some scenes shot in small steel towns in Ohio/West Virginia.

But more I think about it, that's pretty common. Kill the Irishman about Cleveland labor leader/mobster Danny Green was shot in Detroit. Then White Boy Rick, about Detroit drug dealer Rick Wershe Jr., was shot in Cleveland.

Then there is Christmas Story, which was supposed to be in Chicago, was shot in Tremont (with the Christmas Story house is still a tourist attraction). And Major League, IMO, the best sports comedy of all-time about the Cleveland Indians was mostly shot in Milwaukee (with cutaway shots of Cleveland ... and again Tremont).
True!

Oh, I thought of another one that captures the place it really was filmed well - Steel Magnolias, which was filmed in Natchitoches, LA. Not only does it capture that time and place well, it's just a great movie.

Another one that always seems to capture Louisiana to me is The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood. Not sure where it was filmed and I am too lazy to look it up but wow, it does capture the ambiance of small town Louisiana over the decades to me.

Sorry but I am sort of a Louisiana nerd. I also really liked Twelve Years a Slave, which of course I can't vouch for the era but I have been to places and plantations where it was filmed in Louisiana and I thought they did an excellent job of filming.
12 Years A Slave film locations (2013)

Even the "northern" and DC locations in the film were actually filmed in New Orleans.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:37 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
The 6th Sense captures a nice essence of Philadelphia as does the movie "Philadelphia" (Tom Hanks & Denzel).

New York could literally be any movie. I always thought Crocodile Dundee was spot on with 1980s Manhattan.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:45 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,576 times
The opening credits of "Major League" has a nice, representative montage of Cleveland venues. Plus, it uses Randy Newman's wonderful song "Burn On" in its entirety. The city shows up throughout the movie, but not as powerfully as in the credits.

Here are the lyrics for "Burn On" (memorializing the time the Cuyahoga River caught fire):
There's a red moon rising
On the Cuyahoga River
Rolling into Cleveland to the lake
There's a red moon rising
On the Cuyahoga River
There's an oil barge winding
Down the Cuyahoga River
There's an oil barge winding
Down the Cuyahoga River
Cleveland city of light city of magic
Cleveland city of light you're calling me
Cleveland, even now I can remember
Cause the Cuyahoga River
Goes smokin' through my dreams
Burn on, big river, burn on
Now the Lord can make you tumble
And the Lord can make you turn
And the Lord can make you overflow
But the Lord can't make you burn

Old 05-08-2019, 11:54 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
DISCLAIMER- I TYPED THIS RESPONSE BEFORE READING THE THREAD TITLE AGAIN & UNDERSTANDING THE EXACT PURPOSE- MY RESPONSE WENT A DIFFERENT DIRECTION

Believe it or not- The Sandlot, now the movie was made in 1993, but the time period in the movie is 1962.

There are multiple scenes in the movie that I could point out, but there are (2) that stand out for different reasons and they're-

1- The "team" is about to play a night game on the 4th of July. It's a huge neighborhood cook-out, fireworks, etc...They have fun, ride rides, try chew for the 1st time, etc... The reason this reminds me of "America" is simply because this scene low-key represented freedom, community, etc...

2- Near the end of the movie, "Smalls" goes to get the ball from the owner of the dreaded monster dog. Turns out the dog is super great, etc... But here is why this scene stands out to me: "Smalls" is a young white kid, "Mertle" turns out to be a former professional baseball player, who played with Babe Ruth, oh yeah and he's African American. This is a huge deal, because in the movie this meant that Mertle played ball in 1927, this is before Jackie Robinson, and the big movement, so being an african-american playing baseball at that time, and still in 1962 being African american wasn't a stroll in the park. Also of significance, in 1962 (year the movie is set), John "Buck" O'Neil became the first African-American coach in Major League baseball after joining the staff of the Chicago Cubs. I'm not trying to focus solely on a racial story in the movie, but to me there was purpose/significance behind this part.

Sorry for the rant, and technically off-topic. But I had enough typed to say screw it and post anyway
Totally get what you're saying. That movie was Americana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.