Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 03:08 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,444,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for though. Usually low COL areas lack amenities, jobs etc etc and that's why the cost is so low.

Something like NYC or SF, COL is high there b/c look @ what these cities have. It's all relative.
But you have to be a yuppie or a tech nerd to live comfortably in those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 03:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Not true. Do you think NYC is all young people?

Many people of all ages and professions live here and do just fine.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:25 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Quote:
I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for though. Usually low COL areas lack amenities, jobs etc etc and that's why the cost is so low.

Something like NYC or SF, COL is high there b/c look @ what these cities have. It's all relative.
That's not true. High cost of living has to do with supply/demand balances, political and economic policies that encourage costs to rise much quicker that the national average, high tax burden, high density (then people complain about lack of affordable housing), ect. Chicago has an enormous number of recreational assets, but has a low cost of living. Yet San Francisco has a COL over 6x the national average, has epidemic homelessness and drug use, and pretty much priced the average resident out of homeownership. This has very little to do with "you get what you pay for". It's usually the opposite. Value is key. When COL is attached to so much of what we do in our lives, it can't help but have an effect on quality of life. I live in Charlotte and lived in Orlando and Boston in the past. Charlotte's and Orlando's costs of living are a fraction of that of Boston's. But in terms of unique recreational assets, I found more to do in Orlando and Charlotte than in Boston (especially outdoor recreation). All three areas have the arts, museums, sports, ballets, etc. I loved Boston and there was a lot to do. But I got/get much, MUCH more bang for my buck in Charlotte and Orlando. To a certain extent, some of this IS relative. We all have our own preferences and tastes. But that there is a correlation between COL and "you get what you pay for" is not true for the most part. IF that were true, the "best" and the most expensive would always go hand in hand, and that's not true at all. That's a mindset that can keep people in debt and not get a good value on the dollars they spend. Not trying to be unkind, but this is an example of some C-Ders just not able to properly analyze data, economic laws, and cost/benefit comparisons.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
That's not true. High cost of living has to do with supply/demand balances, political and economic policies that encourage costs to rise much quicker that the national average, high tax burden, high density (then people complain about lack of affordable housing), ect. Chicago has an enormous number of recreational assets, but has a low cost of living. Yet San Francisco has a COL over 6x the national average, has epidemic homelessness and drug use, and pretty much priced the average resident out of homeownership. This has very little to do with "you get what you pay for". It's usually the opposite. Value is key. When COL is attached to so much of what we do in our lives, it can't help but have an effect on quality of life. I live in Charlotte and lived in Orlando and Boston in the past. Charlotte's and Orlando's costs of living are a fraction of that of Boston's. But in terms of unique recreational assets, I found more to do in Orlando and Charlotte than in Boston (especially outdoor recreation). All three areas have the arts, museums, sports, ballets, etc. I loved Boston and there was a lot to do. But I got/get much, MUCH more bang for my buck in Charlotte and Orlando. To a certain extent, some of this IS relative. We all have our own preferences and tastes. But that there is a correlation between COL and "you get what you pay for" is not true for the most part. IF that were true, the "best" and the most expensive would always go hand in hand, and that's not true at all. That's a mindset that can keep people in debt and not get a good value on the dollars they spend. Not trying to be unkind, but this is an example of some C-Ders just not able to properly analyze data, economic laws, and cost/benefit comparisons.
The most expenisive cities ARE the best. 8 million ppl live in NYC for a reason. The demand of ppl wanting to live here makes the prices go up. People from NY are moving to Charlotte, yes, but bc it is cheaper not because they want to. If Charlotte was so awesome & had what NYC had it too would be up there with NYC & SF.

Chicago has 10.25% sales tax if I recall. Higher than NYC. COL isn’t insanely that drastic of a difference

Old 02-15-2019, 04:33 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,705 times
Quote:

A true marketing dream. Just up the price and you'll come with wallet open.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
A true marketing dream. Just up the price and you'll come with wallet open.

8 MILLION PEOPLE ... 8 MILLION. So yes they are coming

Old 02-15-2019, 04:56 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
You need some self-esteem

Old 02-15-2019, 05:19 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You need some self-esteem
This thread is about other people, not me.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:02 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
I say love yourself. Bend your middle finger down and put your thumb over it to hold it down. Then your 2nd and 4th finger and cross them. Put the cross finger touching your heart which is halfway between your nipple and breastbone. Feel the rhythm of your heart and say I love myself and I love my city.followed by 3 sets of 16ths. Say it three times. Then switch fingers. It is amazing. Youll notice the heartbeat will change with one extra beat per minute. That extra beat is for you. Love yourself! Dont listen what people say. Just love you.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:18 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
There are some people here on C-D and outside of C-D who have an inferiority complex about their cities. They feel that their cities don't measure up to other cities. I had that same issue about living in Cleveland, and I still battle with it at times. So, what advice would you give that person?
Move!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.