Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:32 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelCam View Post
Yeah I don’t really understand why I was getting asked that!! Nobody cares what your religion is or what side you are politically in the UK.
None of the locations you are inquiring about are in the UK to say it bluntly. Life in small town rural US and having been to a couple of conferences and vacations is not the same. Religion and politics are not taboo topics. Please do not try to say y'all.

Have you looked into infrastructure, day care, schools, medical care in rural areas? What are you budgeting for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 09:43 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
None of the locations you are inquiring about are in the UK to say it bluntly. Life in small town rural US and having been to a couple of conferences and vacations is not the same. Religion and politics are not taboo topics. Please do not try to say y'all.

Have you looked into infrastructure, day care, schools, medical care in rural areas? What are you budgeting for it?
Where did the small town rural part come into play? Most locations she mentioned are adjacent to large metros and sounds like she's leaning toward the Milwaukee suburbs or possibly Madison, both major metros and only a ~2 hour drive from Chicago.

Religion and Politics are taboo unless you're among friends/family and even then those topics should be avoided as they are deeply polarizing and divisive.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:52 AM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Of course, there's anti-liberal bias in many conservative areas..just like there's a massive anti-conservative bias in many liberal areas. The Atlantic Magazine recently featured a story on this phenomenon which showed that the phenomenon exists on both sides:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...judice/583072/

That aside, for a Scot all of those areas would represent a significant culture shock, especially if they are not moving there out of some deep affinity but simply because of a job offer. Generally speaking, if you move somewhere not because of a deeply held wish to be there but a sense of *necessity* you're going to find adjustment more difficult and the new and unknown things will seem more offensive than interesting.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:57 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
I work with a British woman who loves living in SC.

I don't think there is going to be any 'culture shock' moving to one of these states.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:08 AM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post

I don't think there is going to be any 'culture shock' moving to one of these states.

All of those places are very different from present day Britain. If you're worried about gun culture, well guess what..plenty of gun culture in all of those states as they're all big hunting states. That's a major difference right there...hunting is a people's sport in America while in Britain it's something many people associate with a bunch of rich noblemen riding their horses through the countryside to hunt cute animals.

That of course comes down to personal preference as there's plenty of Brits who love America and admire it for many things..and those people may love to come to America and not experience much 'culture shock', but if you're the average British urbanite in 2019 coming to America - especially outside of the major metros -...you'll find many many differences that could astound you.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Where did the small town rural part come into play? Most locations she mentioned are adjacent to large metros and sounds like she's leaning toward the Milwaukee suburbs or possibly Madison, both major metros and only a ~2 hour drive from Chicago.

Religion and Politics are taboo unless you're among friends/family and even then those topics should be avoided as they are deeply polarizing and divisive.
Post # 30

I prefer rural living : suburbs with my family, not city living. Happy to commute into the city, drive all the time here so that doesn’t phase me. I just don’t want to raise my kids in the city.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:19 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
All of those places are very different from present day Britain. If you're worried about gun culture, well guess what..plenty of gun culture in all of those states as they're all big hunting states. That's a major difference right there...hunting is a people's sport in America while in Britain it's something many people associate with a bunch of rich noblemen riding their horses through the countryside to hunt cute animals.

That of course comes down to personal preference as there's plenty of Brits who love America and admire it for many things..and those people may love to come to America and not experience much 'culture shock', but if you're the average British urbanite in 2019 coming to America - especially outside of the major metros -...you'll find many many differences that could astound you.
I don,t own a gun and never see anybody with one.

You make it sound like we are gangsters

Most gun owners are not shooting people.

What changes would astound British people? Seems like you would give at least one example

Old 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM

31 posts, read 53,253 times
Quote:

Hi,

Do you think the British woman you work with would be keen to talk to me? I can give you my email address privately. If not I completely understand.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I don,t own a gun and never see anybody with one.

You make it sound like we are gangsters

Most gun owners are not shooting people.

What changes would astound British people? Seems like you would give at least one example
Cost of living from groceries to child care will be a sticker shock. Next comes having to have two vehicles and the involvement of most US parents with school/children. OP's statement that rent will be budgeted at 1500 until he gets working does not make a lot of sense in the US. Month to month lease with no US credit /employment history is not very likely. Cramming four people in a one bedroom violates occupancy codes in quite a few locations. If he comes over on L1 she will have to apply for her EAD and currently that seems to take around six months due to back logs. That should be enough time to get on her feet.

Guns are part of daily life where we lived since we moved to the US - WA/DC/VA/MD/AL/GA/TX/OK.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:04 PM

31 posts, read 53,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Cost of living from groceries to child care will be a sticker shock. Next comes having to have two vehicles and the involvement of most US parents with school/children. OP's statement that rent will be budgeted at 1500 until he gets working does not make a lot of sense in the US. Month to month lease with no US credit /employment history is not very likely. Cramming four people in a one bedroom violates occupancy codes in quite a few locations. If he comes over on L1 she will have to apply for her EAD and currently that seems to take around six months due to back logs. That should be enough time to get on her feet.

Guns are part of daily life where we lived since we moved to the US - WA/DC/VA/MD/AL/GA/TX/OK.
Are you from the UK???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.