Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:12 AM

45 posts, read 30,044 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old young man from Tennessee. While I have lived in Atlanta for approximately 8 years, most of my life has been lived in East Tennessee. I hate it here.

I have Aspergers along with Anxiety disorders, tourettes, and bipolar. I have had many setbacks here while living in Tennessee and I feel people here are judgemental, unforgiving, opinionated, close-minded, and cliquey. The "good ole boy" system here runs rampant. While people here are not completely mean, I am having a hard time progressing here.

I have had too many bad experiences in Tennessee, and I am seeking a change in scenery. I rather move farther west. I don't care for the north at all due to the cold and dreariness of winters. I definitely want to leave the south.

I am looking to get back on my feet eventually. Right now, I still live at home with parents, on disability, unemployed, and have pretty much remained a recluse/hermit for years.

I want to be able to enjoy the rest of my youth (20s) and I am seeking a place that is more accepting of my Austistic issues and where I can advance and succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 03:42 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
I'm on the spectrum as well. Glad you're taking charge of what your needs are and how not to let them hold you back more than they have to. Moving far away from my parents in Illinois has definitely helped me become more independent and get better at understanding and relating to new people.

Since you mention living a reclusive life for years, I'll assume you don't have a degree and aren't close to finishing one. That probably means you'll want to learn a trade or at least get an unskilled job that doesn't require a lot of interaction with customers, and if there's another field you'd rather be in, you can learn stuff on the side.

You'll want an area with a fairly high wage to rent ratio so you can afford the rents without a high salary. I think the judgmental and closed-minded attitude you describe is least common in cities - which, unfortunately, are not very high in wage to rent ratio. However, among the cities that aren't in the interior North or the South, the ones that look the most affordable include Phoenix, AZ; Tucson, AZ; Spokane, WA; Yakima, WA; and Medford, OR.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/...unties/529782/

If anyone wants to chime in regarding how to establish yourself financially in a new city, please do and correct anything I might've gotten wrong.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 PM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times
D.C. is perfect for you. You'll never be alone, you won't even stand out, just do what you need to be an 'analyst' for something or other.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:46 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,392,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
D.C. is perfect for you. You'll never be alone, you won't even stand out, just do what you need to be an 'analyst' for something or other.
I don't think DC will fill the criteria of the high wage to rent ratio

Old 04-02-2019, 10:04 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
I should mention that you could live in a lot more different cities if you got roommates who you get along with - I know people do that on Craigslist. This is, however, another topic on which I have no experience.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:46 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,492 times
I live in New York and it's filled with autistics as well as people with mental illness. Particularly the Bronx. There are at least 3 people with Asperger's in my job.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:10 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times
I live in Seattle,Washington and I have aspergers and tons of friends with it.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:12 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
The OP needs a progressive/moderately priced city with entry level job opportunities, and would recommend cities like Minneapolis, Baltimore or Pittsburgh.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:51 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Maybe Austin? It's a center left, relatively affordable city that has a more Western feel than Tennessee. No snow, either.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:34 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
You certainly have a full plate of issues, which, unfortunately, is not really a 'Tennessee thing' that can be fixed by seeking a "place" that is less judgmental, narrow-minded, etc.. Likewise, hiding-out as a "reclusive hermit" will never help you learn to interact with other people, regardless of where you are located.

The issues you face are yours, not geographical. The loving parental support structure you have will be almost impossible to replace elsewhere. Is it also fair to assume that you also have some type of counseling or support group network where you are? If not, that's where you should start!

Realizing that you need and want to "move-on and progress in your life" is a giant step forward. Recognizing that you must change from within, before a new location or other people will change, is an essential second step. The third step is to actively begin to take small steps beyond your 'comfort zone,' to bring about real change in your own life.

This is an only an anonymous forum of strangers, but, I assume you've heard something like this before. Perhaps, hearing it again, will re-enforce what you already know. Good luck and may God bless your endeavors to move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.