Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 03:50 AM

21,631 posts, read 31,237,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Are there expensive homes in Miami? of course. Is the COL in Miami in the top three in the US? No.
I think you’re confusing my point, which was referencing the moderate income in greater Miami, not “expensive homes”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah. The inner beltway suburbs aren't that cheap. But maybe out there in say Manassas or Woodbridge or Laurel, you can find more bang for your buck. Arlington, Silver Spring, Alexandria areas are not cheap.
Anytime someone tries to make the case for DC being Uber expensive always lists the same suburbs - Alexandria, Arlington, etc. yawn. There are so few suburbs of major cities where you can go 10-15 miles out and find a very nice home in a top notch community for under 800k. DC is the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 AM

21,631 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Because these top metros have some of the highest amount of renters in the nations, according to Rent Jungle, here’s how they rank for the average cost of a 1 bedroom:

New York: $2800
LA: $2500
Miami: $1900
DC: $1830

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-11-2019 at 08:06 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,591,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Because these top metros have some of the highest amount of renters in the nations, according to Rent Jungle, here’s how they rank for the average cost of a 1 bedroom:

New York: $2800
LA: $2500
Miami: $1900
DC: $1830
San Francisco
One-bedroom: $3,560
Two-bedroom: $4,720

New York City
One-bedroom: $2,750
Two-bedroom: $3,190

Boston (tie)
One-bedroom: $2,480
Two-bedroom: $2,700

San Jose, Calif. (third):
One-bedroom: $2,480
Two-bedroom: $2,900

Los Angeles:
One-bedroom: $2,410
Two-bedroom: $3,240

Oakland:
One-bedroom: $2,350
Two-bedroom: $2,860

Washington, D.C.:
One-bedroom: $2,130
Two-bedroom: $2,650

San Diego:
One-bedroom: $1,910
Two-bedroom: $2,500

Seattle:
One-bedroom: $1,900
Two-bedroom: $2,510

Santa Ana, Calif.:
One-bedroom: $1,880
Two-bedroom: $2,260

http://realestate.boston.com/renting...rental-market/

https://www.housingwire.com/articles...kets-in-the-us

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...move/37557751/

Miami is cheaper than DC. Their citizens just happen to be poorer.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:24 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,403,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah. The inner beltway suburbs aren't that cheap. But maybe out there in say Manassas or Woodbridge or Laurel, you can find more bang for your buck. Arlington, Silver Spring, Alexandria areas are not cheap.
The problem with living that far out is you pay for it in commuting - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-san-francisco

Quote:
Miami is cheaper than DC. Their citizens just happen to be poorer.
Yeah I haven’t seen the data but isn’t Miami like a place filled with tourism and hospitality jobs rather than high income white collar jobs? Not surprising.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
Correct...there are no doctors, attorneys, real estate developers, international finance/banking, aviation, sales managers, hedge funds, successful small business owners at all and all those expensive estates in Cocoplum, Star Island, Fisher Island (wealthiest zip code in the entire country, BTW), La Gorce, Venetian Islands, Pinecrest, SoFi, Key Biscayne are painted Hollywood sets paid for by the Tourism bureau....we only work at McDonalds and sell cocaine while driving Uber or bartending and speaking Spanish. It’s getting so bad that Trump is considering building a wall at the Broward/Palm Beach County border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
The problem with living that far out is you pay for it in commuting - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-san-francisco

Etc
Yeah I haven’t seen the data but isn’t Miami like a place filled with tourism and hospitality jobs rather than high income white collar jobs? Not surprising.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-11-2019 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Correct...there are no doctors, attorneys, real estate developers, international finance/banking, aviation, sales managers, successful small business owners at all and all those expensive estates in Cocoplum, Star Island, Fisher Island (wealthiest zip code in the entire country, BTW), La Gorce, Venetian Islands, Pinecrest, SoFi, Key Biscayne are painted Hollywood sets paid for by the Tourism bureau....we only work at McDonalds and sell cocaine while driving Uber and speaking Spanish.
I mean, anecdotally speaking, everyone I went to college with that lives in Miami now works in the nightlife and hospitality scene. It’s not really a place you think of when you think of an area with high paying jobs. During the most recent governors race that was something that was discussed a lot, wanting to bring more high paying jobs and tech jobs to the state.

I’m not disputing that there are wealthy zip codes? as someone else in this thread said, it’s not necessarily a place you go to work. It’s a place where people go after they’ve already acquired their money, that’s not a bad thing but I don’t think it’s in the top 3 as far as expensive metro areas especially when you look at the salaries there.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:03 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
Now this last statement I agree with. There are better cities for starting careers and building wealth (outside of medical and legal fields) before moving here. I am one of those—relocated here during/after a 30+ year career with a leading semiconductor company in CA and brought my wealth with me; however, should I ever decide to go back to work I see no shortage of high paying jobs in my field. Most of the successful people I know here have moved here mid career, following retirement, or from abroad—though I have met many who also grew up here and do quite well. Had I gone to Univ of Miami (party school when I grew up) for undergrad, I probably would’ve gotten laid more, taken more quaaludes, but paid the price in career and income stagnation.

Quote:
I mean, anecdotally speaking, everyone I went to college with that lives in Miami now works in the nightlife and hospitality scene. It’s not really a place you think of when you think of an area with high paying jobs. During the most recent governors race that was something that was discussed a lot, wanting to bring more high paying jobs and tech jobs to the state.

I’m not disputing that there are wealthy zip codes? as someone else in this thread said, it’s not necessarily a place you go to work. It’s a place where people go after they’ve already acquired their money, that’s not a bad thing but I don’t think it’s in the top 3 as far as expensive metro areas especially when you look at the salaries there.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-11-2019 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:

And also, Woodbridge has sketchy schools.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
And also, Woodbridge has sketchy schools.
Exactly. Manassas too.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Manassas too.
And both of those commutes are awful, simply awful. And there's traffic in those towns. They are affordable though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.